• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Throwout bearing help ASAP...

Rocan

Car is currently in the shop up on the lift... I had ordered a sachs clutch from rockauto.

8 bolt flywheel, 215mm clutch. stock 4 speed transmission. 1976 car, though who knows what parts have been swapped over the years.

the problem I have is that the throwout bearing included with the clutch doesn't fit; clearly they are different designs. here are pictures of the old bearing beside the new one. I tried a search but couldn't find much info. It looks like a 5 speed throwout and arm? but it's a four speed... how could this possibly work?

what part number do I need and where can i order it with overnight shipping?

IMG_0665_zpsab9c70e7.jpg

IMG_0666_zps81c9b0d7.jpg

IMG_0667_zps3fa0ba96.jpg

IMG_0668_zps1a6ec643.jpg

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Am i wrong in thinking this is a 320i 4 throwout bearing and arm? Is it possible the trans is off a 320i 4 speed as well?

A bunch of Bikes...

the throwout bearing in the top of the second picture is what was included with the clutch kit. the one on the bottom is what came out of the car, including the arm it sits in.

are you saying the new part is correct or the old parts are correct?

When I say it doesn't fit, I mean that I can't possibly see a way to mount the new throwout bearing in the same way as the old one that came out. doesn't it require a different clutch release fork than what I have in there now?

A bunch of Bikes...

the throwout bearing in the top of the second picture is what was included with the clutch kit. the one on the bottom is what came out of the car, including the arm it sits in.

are you saying the new part is correct or the old parts are correct?

When I say it doesn't fit, I mean that I can't possibly see a way to mount the new throwout bearing in the same way as the old one that came out. doesn't it require a different clutch release fork than what I have in there now?

Correct w/your assessment. The 320i 4-speed bolts up. You should also

have the slave cylinder that bolts to the trans. vs the 2002 style that

slips through the housing and is held in w/clips.

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

Am i wrong in thinking this is a 320i 4 throwout bearing and arm? Is it possible the trans is off a 320i 4 speed as well?
I think you have an early 320 4 speed. The clutch arm fulcrum is probably on a pin on the passengers side. On an 02 4 speed, the arm is like a teeter-totter and has a pivot pin on the drivers side. Also a 320 4 speed has the clutch slave cylinder pushing towards the front of the car. An 02 slave pushes towards the rear. Get a 320 bearing.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Is it possible the trans is off a 320i 4 speed as well?

That was my first impression, too, to agree with everyone above.

If the slave's NOT attached to the lower driver's side of the trans by a loop

in the aluminum, then you've got it- 77- 79 320i 4- speed.

A nice transmission, really.

Good luck.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I agree that's definitively a 320i one.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Thanks guys! I went ahead and got the part ordered up from my shops local distributor. Ouch... cost 80 bucks... no choice though since I needed it asap.

Am I right in believing this means the 5 speed won't require a new throwout bearing when I swap over?

In related news, brand new sachs throwout bearing for sale! make offers.

A bunch of Bikes...

• 8 years later...

Hello All,
I have a similar situation. I installed a new clutch kit that came with a TO bearing that did not fit but everything else in the clutch kit seemed identical, so I checked the old TO bearing and installed that one. 

Now when the car is off, I can go through the gears easily but as soon as I turn the car on, I can't shift into any gear.

It is a 1975 2002 with a four speed. Based on all of he pointers above, I definitely have a 2002 four speed transmission, but the TO bearing that came with the kit I think belongs to the 320i transmission.
Did they send me the wrong kit?

4 minutes ago, kota02 said:

Hello All,
I have a similar situation. I installed a new clutch kit that came with a TO bearing that did not fit but everything else in the clutch kit seemed identical, so I checked the old TO bearing and installed that one. 

Now when the car is off, I can go through the gears easily but as soon as I turn the car on, I can't shift into any gear.

It is a 1975 2002 with a four speed. Based on all of he pointers above, I definitely have a 2002 four speed transmission, but the TO bearing that came with the kit I think belongs to the 320i transmission.
Did they send me the wrong kit?

This is the kit I purchased from ebay

https://www.ebay.com/ipp/392584298528?transactionId=1102647733026&_trksid=p2047675.l48352