• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore sun visors?

Andy74tii

Has anyone successfully restored the "filling" in their visors? I have a few where the foam is basically disintegrated inside, and they're mostly flat. Other than that, they're in pretty good condition. Seems like there should be some way to "refill" them?

Thanks

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

I'd wondered about this myself. My possibly harebrained idea is to cut a little hole and inject some expanding insulating foam, spread it out evenly and let it cure between 2 flat wooden pieces with some books or other weight on top.

Thoughts?

into sun visors, then pressing 'em between two flat surfaces while the foam cures. But you'll need to use foam that will remain flexible once cured--not the stuff used for home insulation. It'll crack the first time you apply torque to the visor, like when your pivot it.

There must be an expanding foam in a spray can that remains flexible when cured...anyone know?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mine are puffy and old, and last week I bought a better set from the forum and will install them when they arrive next week....

I actually was thinking of taking my old ones and experimenting with them to restore them. I'll have the new set so I've got nothing to lose if they come out crappy.

The expanding foam idea sounds cool but i don't know if you would be able to shoot it in evenly enough for it to be perfectly flat.

My idea was to slit them open with a blade on the top edge, empty them out, and try to refill with something else. Haven't decided what yet though! And haven't figured out how to reseal them cleanly so Ill have to think about it a little more first.

I'll post back with results

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

I did it a few years ago.

I used a razor blade and cut the seam open between the white and black on the end where the bracket is. I pulled the frame out , cleaned it up and covered it with a foam sheet. put it back in and then glued the seam together.

worked pretty good

How about Build a Bear? They take stuffed animals with no innards and have a machine that injects them with a soft, flexible material. Haven't tried it myself, just an early morning thought while half-awake.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

One idea is to cut a slut on the back (black side), remove the old and install the new foam, and glue a piece of black vinyl strip to cover the cut (possibly using black vinyl from a beat up set). I will try that soon.

im thinking that 3M Super 77 adhesive spray would work pretty well

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002