• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your car is around 40 years old. How old are you ?

Chamoix

Who is the oldest and youngest?

It would be interesting to see the results of this thread on a graph.

I wonder what percentage of us are older than our cars, for example.

My '76 was born eight years and a day after my brother who is twenty two months younger than I am.

I am just another member in the middle of the curve.

Oldest/youngest so far?

I started this thread about a year and a half ago and so far it has popped back onto the front page 3 or 4 times. Amazing thing has a life of its own. Last time I tallied up the numbers, I think youngest was 17 or 18, and the oldest was 78 or 79. Average was around 43.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

Boy am I ever late to the party. Great thread. Bought my first 02 in 72, a Granatrot 1969 1600 sunroof. Went to work for BMW the next year. Been through well over a hundred 02s since. Yes, really. My keeper is "Streetfighter" a Granatrot 68 1600 sunroof. Turning 64 soon, my car is 45

My son bought, fixed up and flipped his first 02 at 14. A Turf 67 1600. The buyer could not believe he was doing business with a 14 year old.

Edited by oh2fly

Interesting topic thread.

I'm 66 (for at least a couple more weeks) and got my first 02 in '71 (brand new). Traded up to a brand new '72 Tii in Dec. '72. Still driving my dad's '72 2002A, which was delivered, new, in March '72. Feeling very blessed to have lived through the golden age of the automobile and remember very clearly what it was like to drive a new 2002, before "bimmers" became "beemers".

It's great to see the high level of enthusiasm for these cars, by a wide range of age groups.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002

Well…why not.  I turn 50 in January.  My first 02 was a '69 and I had it from '81-'89.  The next was a 3.0s and had it from '89-'92.  Both were rolling-restos…as well as that approach works, eh!?  I really regret selling both those cars, especially the 3.0s…beautiful…I was young, dumb and … .  After a few decades...I felt like I needed to get back into it to manage my regrets so I bought the '71 in 2010 from LA California as a graduate school gift to me.  I finished it in June 2013.  It was just as I remembered…lots of fun, simple, no electronics, though it seems smaller!  ^_^

Kindest regards,

Bill

post-38979-0-03277500-1384712637_thumb.j

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s