• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I go dual sides or Kugelfischer?

tii73tii

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that if you have a tii keep it a tii.

If it is going to be a daily driver a well-tuned stock tii has more than enough juice. If you go with a 292, the stock KF won't supply enough gas and you'll be leaning out and risking damage.

Adjusting the verboten mixture screw will only increase the mix across the entire range. You'll need to either get the KF rebuilt to match the cam or have an aux linkage installed. There are several reputable KF rebuilders (http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/66/32/).

I had my tii re-built with a 292 and 10:1 pistons. On a dyno it ran lean above 4k and would ping even with the spark retarded. My fix was to contact Wes Ingram and have an aux linkage installed on my KF. To compensate for the lower octane of today's gas I also add 1/2 tank of race gas to get the octane up. My car is not a daily driver otherwise I'd send in my spare KF to be re-built.

The stock tii, when configured correctly, is very reliable, fast and loads of fun.

Good luck.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

Do side drafts . If you are worried about it being a tii save the stuff in case

you want to put it back on . The DCOE is simpler and you all ready have the

good distributor . The ti had twin side drafts stock . A stock engine with

2 x 40 Weber dcoe works good . I put some on my wife's 2002 and she drives it every day we have had it in the mountains in the desert rain snow.

runs good all the time . Just if you do, put it all together carefully like the factory would and it will work good for years .

75 2002 M20 alpina rally clone

77 323 gt3 race car

91 e34 M5

86 Ford F-250 521 big block 

keep the injection!

If memory serves a korman 300 cam will work .

I have also seen a 284 regrind used with no problem. I wish I could tell you what was in the Tii Touring Korman I think. but could be a regrind from the 80's

My Tii is a chainsaw raps really fast and pulls the 345 gears well. The dual webers are nice but no match. The Baron has a weird header (silver plated different length and diameter tubes) but it is still in good shape after 30 years( better than the iron manifold I took off ) and a norris 300 regrind with the 40's and a Korman manifold.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

I have a Tii motor in my 69 2002 that is built with a stock pump and a I.E. regrind 292, Top End Performance Cold Air intake and Top End Performance Header to a free flow exaust, 3.91 LSD with 15inch rims and is is a blast..

I have driven it for 45,000 miles without an Issue. The first year I drove it almost every day and is great on the streets. The cam does give you a little lope but it goes up the the RPM range nicely. Keep the pump and let the motor breath....Keep it simple...

Here is a video: :)

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

Rebuild it but keep it stock except for one exception. Rebuild it to Euro tii specs, 9.5-1 compression ratio. You'll need new pistons for that. You'll always have to run premium gas but that's no big deal. I second or third the motion to keep the KF. It will get much better mileage than dual Weber's and put a much bigger smile on your face.

At the same time your motor is being rebuilt, send your KF pump and injectors out to Jerry Fairchild to get your KF pump rebuilt.

http://www.fuelinjectioncenter.com/index.htm

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

• 1 month later...
I'm rebuilding a tii motor and I've recieved different opinions on this. Will I get more power out of one over the other. What about adding a 292 cam? I will be using this as a daily driver and it'll never see a track. BTW it's a 73tii

I guess you're not doing a concours build?

1969 2002

• 1 month later...

I think it's less a question of "power" than of what you feel and hear when you mash the pedal. Dual Webers give you plenty of throttle response, but it's a different sound and feel than that smooth wind-up you get with the kfish. And the gas mileage will be poor. See if you can drive someone's car with dual 40s.

That having been said, I'd say if you own a tii, keep the FI. Buy yourself another car if you want to play with dual sides and a cam.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)