• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving technique question

johns1974

So when you are pulled up to a stop light, do you keep the clutch pedal pushed in to the floor while leaving the gear selector in the 1st gear slot? Then just take off when the light turns green...

Or

Do you slip the car out of gear, release the clutch pedal and then engage it only when the light turns green?

I had an experienced racing guru tell me that option #2 is always better so I try to do it. I just can't remember why he thought idling with the car out of gear and the clutch pedal "out" whilst at a stoplight was preferred...

Is there a reason? Just curious!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

If you keep the clutch depressed, then you cause wear on the 'fingers' of the pressure plate and the clutch hydraulics.

If you shift to nuetral each time, then you are causing wear on the shifter linkage, rods, etc... You are also causing wear on the clutch as you are essentially depressing the clutch twice for the same action.

I live in an urban area. Stop and go traffic is very common. I'd go mad shifing in and out of 1st every single time. Sometimes I do shift in nuetral, other times no. If I'm going to be sitting for a couple of minutes or more I will shift out of gear, but that is mainly to give my leg a rest.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I don't do either one ALL THE TIME. I do both, each as the situation fits - mostly dependent on how long I might be stopped - but also based upon other factors: on a hill, first in line, what type of stop (redlight, stoplight, other), how fast I decelerated, how fast might I need to get going, etc. Mostly instinctual and subliminal at this point - not like I'm actively calculating. ;-)

As was mentioned, there's pros/cons to both actions from 'wear' and/or safety standpoints. Interestingly, there are like 'options and choices' with using the brake pedal, or go pedal...

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Yep to all above, and the throw- out bearing gets worn quicker with the cluctch in. That sucker isn't designed to rotate a bazillion times.

I tend to put it in neutral and leave my foot off the clutch. This trend started many years ago when I had the honor of James Clay instructing me. I had the clutch pressed in while waiting at the grid. He told a story how his T/O bearing grenaded and it was a very bad scene for the bellhousing, reference sensors, etc. Now, if you're not using any fancy-schmancy flywheel position sensors, YMMV. Still.........

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

How many times do you want to hear a FU Honk??? If you live in a small town maybe go to neutral Where I live people are in a hurry period. 1-2 seconds to get moving is a problem.

I don't know about that. I would guess that the time it takes to depress the clutch, engage first gear, and start moving is about the time some tool takes to realize the light turned green, then take their fat assed foot off the brake and move it over to the gas, press the gas, and wait for the awkward lurch forward that happens when the torque converter finally makes the car move..

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

If you take the driving test in the UK, you have to do option #2 and also put the handbrake on, or you will probably fail the test.

Don't know about the US as I only had to do the screen questions to get my US licence.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you time it right, you can usually kick the transmission into neutral as you approach the signal without even touching the clutch. Coast to a stop.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

carbon throwout bearing, you'd learn to keep (as my late father-in-law used to say) "Your cotton-pickin' feet off the clutch pedal unless you're actually shifting gears."

After 14 years daily driving with a carbon throwout bearing on my 4CV, I don't even put the clutch pedal in when I'm taking the car out of gear, as in stopping for a stop sign or traffic light. And...I've never worn out a throwout bearing, carbon, roller or needle, in something like 700,000 miles of stick shift driving.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I keep my feet off too. Try to use the clutch the least possible unless I know I will start again in a second or two.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978