• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

32/36 Air Cleaners, what are the current options?

Been using a modded 2 barrel aircleaner with adapter but have been thinking about the other styles, what are my options? There are several POS choices out there for ~$20, but I seem to remember seeing a redline cast aluminum one at some point that looks sturdier. What about the availability of ITG baseplates and filters? Did some searching and it only returns results from 2009 and older.

Thank you,

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

There is a guy selling real Lynx Ramflo filters on eBay. You will have to search internationally because he is in England. But he's a good seller. Pierce sells a copy for less. I had a Lynx on my 32/36 and I have one on my side draft. I just like how they look.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

it pulls in cool(er) air from outside the engine compartment vs the hot air from directly above the engine. And the price is right. You don't need the adapter--in fact, using an adapter made my stock air cleaner hit the underside of the hood, so I used tinsnips to cut the lip off the stock unit, then made a gasket/seal from a chunk of closed cell foam and it's been working perfectly since about 1981.

And Ben, you know I have a propensity for keeping things stock looking...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike, I'm with you on the colder air/stock setup - my 68 came with the conversion complete and it has worked well--BUT--I went crazy and installed an 02again header on the recent engine swap, and now the lower intake port on my summer/winter box is obsolete and looks unfinished. So that got me thinking, chop and mod an extra plastic summer/winter box or swap on a K&N style?

2wejixi.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

This is the K&N I have Ben. Its Larger than the typical aftermarket pieces..

And I still have that cool cast aluminum piece that we found at Vintage.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=56-1070

ab1f96aa.jpg

Is this a direct fit for the 32/36 DGV 5A ? thanks, john

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Been using a modded 2 barrel aircleaner with adapter but have been thinking about the other styles, what are my options? There are several POS choices out there for ~$20, but I seem to remember seeing a redline cast aluminum one at some point that looks sturdier. What about the availability of ITG baseplates and filters? Did some searching and it only returns results from 2009 and older.

Thank you,

Ben

You already have the best choice. Besides pulling in cooler air, the stock air filter has far more filter area than any of the aftermarket filters.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Thank you,

Ben

You already have the best choice. Besides pulling in cooler air, the stock air filter has far more filter area than any of the aftermarket filters.

+1. Take a look at any of the aftermarket smaller elements after a couple of months in service. Most will be filthy and need either cleaning or replacing. You need lots of surface area in a filter to work well and cool air from outside the engine compartment. It might not be pretty, but it works. The high CFM systems we design at work need large filter cartridges to work well.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Are you using the 99410 457 adapter? I'm also thinking about going back to stock for the cold air and better filter area.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

• 1 month later...

I suspect it is pointing at the ground, just like mine....no smog checks or ANYTHING in these parts of the country. This is recommended in the BMW restoration guide. Do I feel bad about it? Not really...there are enough Dodge Ram Diesels with open stack exhausts belching black smoke into the air....my warm oil vapors won't kill too many mosquitoes.

--> 1968 2002 <--