• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

banning members

gwb72tii

and how hard is to change an IP address...

It's not easy to change your IP address. Your IP address is the ID for the location your computer is connected to the internet, maintained by your access provider, so even if you use a diff computer in the same house, you have the same IP address.

far from accurate...i can change my ip address through firefox simply by clicking an icon in my taskbar and selecting from a list of ip addresses...thru use of a proxy, you can appear to be just about anywhere in the world you want

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, as one of the IT people on here let me say banning an IP is far from a sure fire fix. IPs are temporary identifiers associated to a location, but are very easy to change. That doesn't even start to address using a proxy to spoof an IP. It will block the casual non-tech type, but thats it.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

and how hard is to change an IP address...

It's not easy to change your IP address. Your IP address is the ID for the location your computer is connected to the internet, maintained by your access provider, so even if you use a diff computer in the same house, you have the same IP address.

far from accurate...i can change my ip address through firefox simply by clicking an icon in my taskbar and selecting from a list of ip addresses...thru use of a proxy, you can appear to be just about anywhere in the world you want

and isp's rotate ip addresses every 90 days or so; they aren't statically set for the duration of your service, unless it's a business class service.

i'm in the "just ignore it" camp ..sometimes the JHC comments make me chuckle, other times they require a face palm. maybe it's a generational thing, as it relates to troll tolerance. *shrug*

I'm not at all pre-disposed to banning anyone.

Especially if by concensus in threads like this - to me, akin to a Kangaroo Court.

Steve or others may ban at their discretion, I guess that's their right. But I have neither the insite or the wisdom to take this on.

Agree with those saying the best move is not to play and that's the course I'm taking after this post. If everyone ignores a troll and in effect ostracizes them from the group, in due course they'll eventually migrate to another site where the pickins' are better.

I reacted once to the member in question and felt badly afterward that I allowed someone to get my goat - that will not happen again.

As they say in the Mob movies "They're dead to me..."

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I see no problem with banning if used for only egregious cases. Using this board is a privilege, and as such it should be denied to people that can't at least make an effort to be civil. .

Being a member and posting on FAQ is a privilege. Like anything else in life, there is always the one "person" who wants to ruin the whole experience for every one else through their vendetta for another particular person. There has been a few times when I wanted to post in a "heated discussion" for the offensive person to just chill out and get on with life, but that would only get me on their "shit list" and then I would probably become a target for them also.

There should be a banning policy. On other message boards I have been on, there was a "back room" (a secret topic/post/thread, not viewable by anyone other than invited members, where the mods and elders would post about "problem members" and how to deal with them). Usually there would be 2 warnings and on the 3rd "instance" a banning would take place. Sometimes the member would go away quietly, other times they would sign up under another name and come back with a vengeance. Appropriate action would then be taken again.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

If you don't ban people who suck, people who don't suck will leave. I think those universally regarded as assholes deserve no voice.

Well said.

Unfortunately, there are some assholes with great ideas that even I like to read about. Some, not so much.

IMHO, no bans.

I do think that moderators need to stay on top of subjects. Most all the negative posts stem from the Political forum so we know who the "problem" posters are. There are more than one. It's a tit for tat thing and moderators need to either lock threads when they turn ugly or delete posts that have no place in the title subject.

Is it more work? Well it may be the price of the no-ban rule.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Just ignore them and they will go away

Seriously. And even if he/she doesn't go away, if you don't like JhC's posts don't read them. Are we not adults capable of averting our eyes, scrolling past the post? We have never banned anyone in eight years and we should not start now....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Armond now come on... How hard would it be for you to just not respond to jhc. All you do is feed the madness. I think most who are involved just need to get over it..

+10000000000000000000. Armond, quit responding and feeding him with an even more ridicules response than the one before if that's even possible. Anyone that has been to the PF knows that it's just a shit throwing fest over there. It's dumb on both side, really. I take it as entertainment myself. Unfortunately, it had spilled over to the general forums.

The response to gwb72tii's tread was very classless at the very least but I am 100% anti-ban. If anything, I'm more irked about non-register users that sell stuff and I can't get a hold of them, LOL. Anyway, I'm rolling with whatever Steve and Rob decides to do.

Wait, I have an idea! Ban Armond and maybe JhC will go away!!!

j/k Armond

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

Wait, I have an idea! Ban Armond and maybe JhC will go away!!!

j/k Armond

considering that I created her, that may just work ray but then again, like herpes, we may just have manage it.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti