• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 2002 model most coveted?

TonyHavana

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me it would have to be a box flared roundie ti race car. I'm honestly not sure if they made those but I don't care, I would do terrible things to have one of those.

Or anything powered by an m12 for that matter...

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Personally...

1. 2002 cabriolet for rarity--only 200 built

2. 2002 Targa for open air motoring and design uniqueness

3. 2002 Touring 'cause they're so practical

4. Turbo for rarity--and value

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Personally...

1. 2002 cabriolet for rarity--only 200 built

2. 2002 Targa for open air motoring and design uniqueness

3. 2002 Touring 'cause they're so practical

4. Turbo for rarity--and value

mike

Greedy! LOL

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Agreed to anything with an M12. This gives me chills everytime I listen to it

A Group 5 2002 defintaley comes to mind, especially the Alpina or Schnitzer cars.

As far as something you could ever realistically find, probably an Alpina street car or a Turbo.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Early VIN '72 Tii with the 121 head and plastic intake runners in Malaga maroon red. Nicely restored with sunroof, Behr a/c, and the original alloys. It's just a nice car anyway you look at it and it was the quickest 02 from the factory available in the US!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

An Inka touring built to A4S spec by the boys at Buchloe, back in the day (of course). Faster and less finicky than a turbo. Oh, and rarer, too.

Second to that would be one handcrafted by me.

But the number one BMW would a golf yellow CSL built to B3 spec. With some rust proofing put in at the same time.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

If it was me it would have to be a box flared roundie ti race car. I'm honestly not sure if they made those but I don't care, I would do terrible things to have one of those.

Muwahahahahaha!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I'll go along with what I believe is a growing consensus... my most desirable 02 is... mine! What other car have I dumped countless hours into, shed sweat and blood over and enjoyed the hell out of when it was all over?

To me, the rarer 2002's kind of defeat the purpose of having a 2002, which (IMHO) is to get out the wrenches, then drive like mad, all the while enjoying the process. If I had something that was too pristine or rare, I'm not sure I would approach the hobby with the same enthusiasm, as it just becomes the adult version of collecting baseball cards... keep them in their case (trailer/garage/etc) so they don't lose value. What's the fun in that?

Anyway, I certainly respect people who are in it to collect, as they keep some really beautiful cars alive, but I'd rather have 5 or 10 less rare cars than one super collectible vehicle anyday, thereby making any of the cars that I own inherently more desirable to me than any of their restored/rare/unobtainable bretheren. And afterall, isn't it nice when the grass is greener on your side?

My $.02.

75 '02

78 M50 swapped E21

95 E34 touring

69 C10 Fleetside

69 Datsun SRL 311 (2012 project)

"Toil and learn or have deep pockets" - a smart guy