• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bmw As A Dd

soy_Henry

I am interested in purchasing a BMW 2002. I have always been interested in this car and will be getting one if not now sometime in my life time. By that I mean have one and fix it up as I grew older and take it for joy rides and so on.

I was in a collision about three weeks ago and my car was called a total loss by the insurance. So I need to get a new car. I figured why not get the 2002 now.

I have a couple concerns though and questions if you all could help me out or give me your experience with your 2002.

How is the 2002 for a daily driver? I know it's an old car and reliability on old cars sometimes isn't that good but what about the 2002?

Another one is the cars configurations. I like the car a lot and would probably like driving it around and bear the fact that it doesn't have a moderns car configurations. So...have you all ever thought when sitting at a red light either hot or cold from the weather conditions and with music or no music because of the cars audio system and pulling off the line slowly hearing every noise from the motor and road.....have you ever thought I wish or I want or I miss modern features of cars these day?

If you all have any other insides of what it is to own a 2002, I would appreciate if you told me your story. Or even if you have an opinion on what I should do.

Many Thanks,

Enrique

The BMW 2002 is the most reliable car I've owned. I'm about the driving experience so rattles and a bit of a loud engine are good to me. I installed a newer audio system, which I barely use, but nice to have.

I live in Arizona, 110 degree heat almost every day, don't mind a lack of A/C unless I need to not be sweaty when I get where I'm going. There are options to get A/C installed though. In fact I have a complete kit but haven't felt the need to get it working.

With that said, if you are already thinking you may not like some of the things that go along with owning an older car, then I'd be a bit worried you are not going to like it. I think the 2002 is best as a second car, but can be sufficient as a daily if you have the money and/or time to maintain it. 

I DD my '02, weather permitting.  I live in the PNW, so I do drive in the rain, in spite of some existing rust issues, but put it away when there is salt on the roads during the winter months.  

I would say modern conveniences found in newer cars are a matter of personal preference.  I have never personally owned a car newer than a 1984 model year, so I don't really know what I am missing.  I have no interest in a car that will park itself.  I hope I never need an airbag.  

In my opinion there are very few radio stations worth listening to, though I will probably get around to hooking up the stereo that is in my console some day.  For me much of the joy of driving comes from the appreciation of improvements made to the car.  Typically I operate on a low budget, so needy older cars are cheaper to upgrade than newer nicer ones.  I have put a lot of time into my car in the couple of years I have owned it and the list of future repairs and maintenance items is still pretty long.  I look forward to fixing every one of them, but some people might dread the "work."  

It is really a question of what makes you happy.

Many of us used our 2002's as daily drivers for years. A few things to consider,  the more stock it is the more reliable it will be. The ventilation system is not great, you will learn to drive with the windows/sunroof open a lot. I know there are a few places in the country that almost require A/C but I have never been a fan of it on 2002's (personal preference, flame suit ON)  The rear lights are not very bright and people today don't always notice the brake lights (our cars get rear ended more often than we would like) make sure you install a 3rd light and/or some LED lights in the stock tail lights.  There is little or no side impact protection so if you get hit in the door by a suburban you are going to get hurt.  You can easily put a larger alternator in the car if you are worried about that but I never had a problem with the stock 35 amp alternator (and I ran some crazy lights on my car back in the days) 

The big up sides are, light weight (1000 lbs lighter than a current GTI VW) they are easy to work on yourself (you don't need an OBDII scanner and thousands of $ of special tools) and they are a blast to drive.  GO FOR IT

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Realistically, you can DD a 2002, if:

You become one with it, know it, and care for it like a child.  You want to be able to mentally trouble shoot it from your seat at the first sign of a new issue, and go straight to the problem when you stop the car.

Be alert to changes in the behavior of the car and inspect the changes first chance.

Be attentive and prompt with its maintenance needs. Oil, filters, brake adjustments, etc.

Keep a tool box in the trunk, and a small selection of spares.  Guibo, bulbs, fuses, etc.

Fix/maintain it yourself if at all possible. ($ saving and rewarding)

Not a bad as that sounds, because the process of getting to know the car has you grinning ear to ear most of the time. 

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I don't think I've owned necessarily a large amount of cars in my 28 years of life (Around 12) but there is something about the 2002 that none of the other cars had. I've owned everything from an 2001 Audi A4, to a 1984 Volvo 242, to a turbo 1997 Miata making 250whp. The 2002 is the first of all of these I see myself owning for the rest of my life.

I may get another car eventually, but I think I'll always drive the 2002 as much as possible. It is just perfect, the little quirks and issues are just part of the experience. Not to mention this is the easiest car I have ever worked on. The cost of new parts is the only downfall. $30 for a headlight gasket sucks. 

Reliability of a well maintained 02 is excellent. I went through my drivetrain when I bought mine because it's my DD and it's been rock solid. I do most of my own maintenance and for the stuff that's beyond me I have a great mechanic to do the heavy lifting. It's going on 5 years and I am just now getting a modern audio system. I have done 110 degree AZ road trips in it and 40 degree mountain trips. I have no AC and the heater doesn't work. I adapt. Lol. Most fun car I have ever owned and the only thing that could replace it would be 2 02's! Parts are readily available and the design is well thought out and simple. For reliability I stress going through the engine and electrical and cooling system. Replace with new or refreshed units when possible. Are you mechanically inclined? Once a month I poke around under the hood. Adjust idle, check fluids, check for leaks, check belts. Etc. This usually identifies any problems BEFORE they become problems.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

They can be very reliable modes of transport. If you are mechanicly minded and sympathic to its needs. If your in stop start traffic alot. Id install an electric fan. Make sure all your coolant hoses are pliable and not plastisised. You will probobly find that in your first month or so you will need to be attentive. Checking levels very regularly ect and change questionable components when in doubt.

After that the maintainance should should lessen to normal levels. I ran mine for seven od years as a mostly daily driver. I now have a much newer 1979 ! Merc 240d as a daily. I tend to get the 2002 out on nice weather but not oposed to a bit of rain. Salt is a killer for them. They desolve very quickly in snow or icy condtions

As a DD? Depends, maybe in sunny SoCal but not where I live if you want to keep the car for long term. At least not in the winter because of the salt used on the roads here. As Preyupy said, many used 2002's were used as DD for years, but remember, it is a 40 year old car. As jrhone asked, are you mechanically inclined?  It is an easy car to work on but it needs more attention than a modern day car. I prefer to drive the 02 over my newer BMW and do so every chance I get. It is just more fun to drive but does not have the same comforts. I use it as my DD weather permitting.

One other thing no one has mentioned is are you looking at the carb 2002 or the fuel injected Tii?  Are you looking for performance? Just like the look of the car?  Weekend track days?  Whats the intent?  I bought a carb'd 2002 because I wanted to do mods and tinker with it. The Tii is more of a collector car than the base 02 (although values of them all are climbing) and people seem to like to keep the Tii's stock and I want mods.  Also Tii's can be more expensive to maintain because there are some things like the Kugelfischer pump which are no longer made, expensive to find and can be tougher to keep running properly if its not running correctly ESPECIALLY if you are not mechanically inclined and there are not alot of mechanics that know how to work on them.  You can also look at engine swaps...get a base 02, drop in a M42 engine from a later 318i, and you will get pretty good fuel economy, electronic fuel injection and a low maintenance modern engine. peterschop also brought a good point...where are you?  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Ive hopped in the car, driven it 500 miles on the weekend. Added oil then parked it for a week and done it again the next weekend with no problems multiple times. I've driven it all over the place and had a blast doing it! Yes I have dont a lot of work on it though, but it is hands down the most reliable car I've ever owned.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I think we've done this at least twice before.

I remember writing that in larger urban environments, the 2002 is a bit scary, as 

2 modern cars could squish it flat and the e- crew wouldn't even notice until

the tow truck pulled them apart.

Big bumpers are a big advantage when parallel parking.

And I agree that being able to diagnose (and fix) it yourself is becoming a necessity.

Likewise, a new carb and distributor (or rebuilt properly)  are really nice, as old worn versions of both can really

hurt both power and reliability.

In lower- traffic, no- salt environments they're great.  I stopped DD'ing 4 or 5 years ago

when traffic went from 'bad but polite' to 'dick' around here...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I think we've done this at least twice before.

I remember writing that in larger urban environments, the 2002 is a bit scary, as 

2 modern cars could squish it flat and the e- crew wouldn't even notice until

the tow truck pulled them apart.

Big bumpers are a big advantage when parallel parking.

And I agree that being able to diagnose (and fix) it yourself is becoming a necessity.

Likewise, a new carb and distributor (or rebuilt properly)  are really nice, as old worn versions of both can really

hurt both power and reliability.

In lower- traffic, no- salt environments they're great.  I stopped DD'ing 4 or 5 years ago

when traffic went from 'bad but polite' to 'dick' around here...

t

agree....key is where you are and risk management.  2002's are unsafe tin boxes in a world of oblivious 5k lb SUV's.  2002's have no modern safety features.  no airbags, old seatbelts, no crush zones, no door reinforcments, a roof that collapse in rollovers, no abs, no traction control, poor exterior lighting, poor interior ventilation for clearing fogged up windows, decorative bumpers, etc.  they are just old cars that can't compete safety wise in the modern world.  I love the cars, but also respect the risk involved in driving one on the road today. no way i would DD one in any kind of a commuting environment with the loonies in their insulated boxes today.

blah, blah, blah, yeah a bunch of us grew up driving the cars, but the traffic situation was much different back then and the comparison is not relevant.

i drive mine on the street sometimes, and when i do i drive it like i used to ride motorcycles..assuming nobody sees you, but everyone is trying to kill you.

2xM3