• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Panel Replacement In 2 Weekends

jerry

thought i'd post some photos to show what's involved with a rocker panel replacement.  if you see a little pinhole in the rear lower quarter panel, and you are contemplating a new paintjob, don't spend the money until you replace your rocker.  i was going to leave this DS rocker alone, but as my car is slowly coming back from near certain crushing, i decided not to take the chance.  i'm glad i bit the bullet.  i have on hand several used 02 body panels from a couple cars i cut up a couple years ago. 

i use c-clamps and a metal bar to secure the car to minimize any movement during the process.

the first task is to liberate the old rocker.  this is done by using a die grinder to cut into the weld seams, followed by drilling out the spot welds.  i typically cut the quarter panel along the lower trim location as shown.  i plan to reuse this section, so i try to be gentle.  it's a given, that the bottom of this section is rusty, but that too will be repaired.

post-9295-0-46377500-1376275094_thumb.jp

post-9295-0-49739800-1376274968_thumb.jp

this photo shows what was hidden.  the lower section was removed from the section of quarter-panel that i am reusing.  i have found that the old rocker panel typically has enough material to cut a patch from to repair this section.  i merely have to retreive the car-jack steel piece and attach it, on location. 

post-9295-0-69300000-1376275386_thumb.jp

the replacement rocker and interior area all primed with chromate primer that i have found to be the best corrosion inhibitor i've ever used.  it is not available on the open market, however. 

post-9295-0-62713700-1376275753_thumb.jp

rocker panel in place after several checks and rechecks for fitment.

post-9295-0-49462000-1376275899_thumb.jp

quarterpanel reinstalled and ready for weldup

post-9295-0-13768000-1376275986_thumb.jp

two views of the quarterpanel section installed and ready for weld grind.  i will not grind completely flat, but will use a hammer and dolley to stretch the metal slightly and reduce/eliminate any minor distortion.  the weld metal tends to shrink the metal locally causing a slight waviness.  never, ever weld more than a spot at a time to minimize distortion.  i use a copper backing plate (flattened Cu pipe) as a heat sink. 

this work was done over 2 weekends while doing other tasks as well.  i'm guessing the process from start to finish took me about 6 hours, if i were willing and able to work non-stop.

hope this removes the mystery for someone contemplating this repair.

post-9295-0-08734600-1376276040_thumb.jppost-9295-0-68113100-1376276073_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Great Gatsby, Perfect posting of a job 2002ad charges 2 large for each side, had a sweet 70 and all was good but for rotten rockers, wish I had seen this before I sold her, thanks for posting and any chance of a follow up on floor pans?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

thanks for the comments.  as with all things, practice makes perfect.  this car has been an education in welding sheetmetal and cutting patches.  i find it more satisfying than wrenching because of the visable aspects of the completed work.  my floor repair work was early on and the welding was much worse.  i'm planning to touch it up a bit before paint.  someday i hope to complete my garage so i can finish this car in a lighted, organized and dry work space. 

• Like 1

& 1 special alfa

Very interesting! Great work too! Unfortunately I have those pin holes too.

I decided to wait after I put a camera in and decided it was not that bad.

You give me faith that it can be done and look great.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Your copper heat sink--you said you made it from a flattened copper plumbing pipe....Can you post a picture or a description?  Sounds like a great idea--would like to make one myself (lotsa scrap copper pipes from a burst plumbing pipe repair).

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Your copper heat sink--you said you made it from a flattened copper plumbing pipe....Can you post a picture or a description? 

Really noting to it, actually.  Initially, i had a rather big piece (6in x 1 1/2in x 1/4in) of copper bar sectioned from an industrial strength grounding bar i acquired from a scrap yard.  that piece got kinda heavy after awhile of holding it, so i downsized to a smashed section of 3/4in diameter common copper plumbing pipe i found.  i have a piece about 8in long. if it gets too hot to hold, then you're welding too much between cooldown.

what the copper really does, more than being a heat sink, is act as a backing plate for the molten metal from the Mig wire spool, effectively helping the molten metal to pool.  i DO NOT hold the trigger down more than a second or two when butt-welding the sheetmetal skin.  HOWEVER, when joining the Rocker Panel flanges to the flange of the Inner Panel, i did not use a copper backing plate because the metal is thicker and i wanted to ensure that my weld pool melted into the adjacent flange.  it's really a feel that is best gained through trial and error, and mistakes!

& 1 special alfa

• 4 years later...
On 8/11/2013 at 7:59 PM, jerry said:

the replacement rocker and interior area all primed with chromate primer that i have found to be the best corrosion inhibitor i've ever used.  it is not available on the open market, however. 

(I am guessing that'd be the grun stuff)

Edited by '76mintgrun'02

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 5:22 PM, Dudeland said:

I knew it, it is used in Aviation applications. I suspect that it is the green backing you see on bits of airplane wings. 

yes, indeed it is...   sadly, my access to it will be coming to an end as the aeroengine overhaul shop i work in will be closing down in 18 months to move to Indianapolis because it is too expensive to run this type of business in California.

i'm staying put, btw.

The subject car of this post is now near St. Louis, Mo to be completed by a former owner who had this exact car in the late 70's.  i moved it along to make room for a 1960 Alfa Romeo Guilietta Veloce spider.  i have another 02 in my 'to do' list, however.

& 1 special alfa

The revival of this thread is most serendipitous....

Rockers are cut off the CS and new ones will be going on in the next couple days.  Thanks for the instruction, Jerry, it is most appreciated.  You can see there is an intermediate rocker providing more support on the larger Coupe body.

5a09e3fa53c14_driversfrontrocker.thumb.jpg.04763fabeb67c7dc9c7d689a944c42b7.jpg

5a09e3ffd773a_driversrearrockers.thumb.jpg.8ec3a37e53c72ce499ff5ea6f67e0139.jpg

(the entire outer rocker at the door threshold will be removed/replaced as you did, Jerry)

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

That belongs to all around, good guy, Barney... he offered up his personal shop to help me restore the CS. Very gracious offer. He's been a tremendous friend and a giant help in my restoration. 

IMG_8073.thumb.JPG.58db5fcc085c4fc335802fc9136e9d56.JPG

Ed

• Like 4

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool