• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Update: Wish me luck!

"Your engine block is off to the machine shop to check the bores for wear. Mike measured about .005 wear in the bores, plus some ridging at the bore tops plus a little waviness. The machine shop will be able to determine if the block needs to be bored, or if it can be cleaned up to re-use your pistons (presuming they check out to be in good shape). He also said the crankshaft and bearings looked good, so the crank should only need polishing. Head, rockers and shafts also look good, so maybe just a valve grind and late style valve stem seals—with new guides. Dunno about the valves themselves."

{Quoted is the esteemed Mike Self of Roundel fame....}

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I cannot go to Vintage this time; my dad's 80th birthday celebration is that weekend. I will be there next year, however. This year, I will attend MidAmerica '02 Fest in Eureka Springs. Yay!

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Good luck wiht the engine rebuild. If you can get by w/o new pistons, then that'll save some cash.

...but here's the thing: The engine is out of your car, and you already have a five speed OD transmission.... hmm.

If there's anyway for you to get it done, you should make the conversion to the overdrive transmisson now, as opposed to later.

Now is the best time and Mike McCarthy has made this drivetrain change to MS's car. Check out Dave Varco's website. He can put together everything you need, and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Larry

progress is good!!

Don

"Your engine block is off to the machine shop to check the bores for wear. Mike measured about .005 wear in the bores, plus some ridging at the bore tops plus a little waviness. The machine shop will be able to determine if the block needs to be bored, or if it can be cleaned up to re-use your pistons (presuming they check out to be in good shape). He also said the crankshaft and bearings looked good, so the crank should only need polishing. Head, rockers and shafts also look good, so maybe just a valve grind and late style valve stem seals—with new guides. Dunno about the valves themselves."

{Quoted is the esteemed Mike Self of Roundel fame....}

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Thanks for the good luck wishes, guys. Yeah, it's a good time to put in a 5-speed, but project creep = budget creep in a big way, so probably not in the cards right now.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim

Best way in the world to break in an engine, drive it to Arkansas to be with fellow 02ers Two years ago, two weeks before the event, I started having low oil pressure problems on the blue car. Got back home, yanked the motor out, got the machine shop to hone it, ordered new rings and bearings and pump, got it back together the following weekend, and left two days later for Arkansas. Best running M10 I have ever had.

Hope to see you in Eureka Springs!

Jim

Best way in the world to break in an engine, drive it to Arkansas to be with fellow 02ers Two years ago, two weeks before the event, I started having low oil pressure problems on the blue car. Got back home, yanked the motor out, got the machine shop to hone it, ordered new rings and bearings and pump, got it back together the following weekend, and left two days later for Arkansas. Best running M10 I have ever had.

Hope to see you in Eureka Springs!

Based on how you were leading us down those narrow, twisty roads last October, I'd say she's running fine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I left Dayton with exactly 70 miles on the rebuild and a 5 speed conversion. Broke it in on the WV Turnpike alternating between 4th and 5th to vary engine rpms. 20k later it's running fine (not idling so well, but that's another story).

Still hoping to make it to Eureka Springs from OKC...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite