• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT- how to tell if you're getting too pissy to use a 2002

TobyB

as a daily driver?

I'm having 'cheap e36 lust'.

And I'm starting to feel like someone else needs to use up the

last years that are in my track- rat- daily- driver

because I'm getting sick of it.

I know I could soften it up and love it more.

But I kinda don't have the energy.

It's bullshit things like 'there's no way to keep all the negative

camber that I love AND not have it crash over bumps".

It's me, of course. But I'm just getting sick of fixing the same

things year in and year out, and doing the same thing to 3 different 2002's.

I think it might be time for a change.

If I find I can't live without a daily 2002,

maybe that will push me to finish the electric conversion.

God knows, it hasn't gotten me going on the 122...

...mmmm, broken door handles and a central locking system that won't...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dont see anything wrong with with. People get older and want a nice cup of coco on a cushy seat with a butt warmer, and other spoils.

Then, Style VS. functionality/safety - well, functionality usually prevails.

I know mine's getting put away as soon as I can afford a second vehicle for the work commute duty.

These things are great as daily drivers, when on good pavement, in good weather, without passengers or family members, and where the traffic is not congested, and also when they are relatively beat up to begin with. All this simply makes the life easier. Apart from that, you appreciate the car more once you ve not driven it for awhile.

68' 2002 DD

Toby......

It happens to all of us. I've gone through an E30, and E36, and E46, and now I have an E90. However, I can't wait to get on the track with the '02.

I like the idea of the electric version. I'm sure the BMW engineers back in the 70's wouldn't approve!

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

Yep, I went through it too. I was ready to rid myself of the 02 when I bought my new MINI. Now I have both and very much enjoy the time I have when I drive the 02. It has so much personality and is 'fun' to drive.

Once it is gone, you will miss it, guaranteed!

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

You'll get sick of fixing a "cheap e36" every weekend too. Interiors that turn to dust, horrible plastic cooling system components, dozens of crappy electronic sensors that flake out and strand you, numb driving feel.

Etc

Etc

Etc

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

Guest Anonymous

As previously stated, happens to everyone. I drove my 74tii daily for nearly 7 years, spent a pile of dough on it (new engine, 5sp conversion etc.) and other than Bilsteins completely stock (like it that way). In the end it started looking a bit "dodgy", needed paint, trim etc., The wife talked some sense into me - "you can't restore two cars at once" (the other being the ALPINA Grp. 2 Race car), so I offed the tii. Replaced it with a 87 190e 2.3-16 MBZ, my second which I love - a modern day tii I think only in Mercedes clothing. It can be done (02 daily driver, however a lot depends on what you do for business and such).

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the club! You are not alone. I think it is time to set up a support group here. I do have a love/hate relationship with my car too. Exhaust fumes and noise levels are the things that will make me divorce my 02. I am getting sick and tired of it. I've tried everything too. I am so addicted to it, that, like a gambler, I think if I just put more money into it... when do you cut your losses, or is it worth it?

I do have a modern car, that I love, and I wouldn't mind driving it every day. The day is getting closer when one day I am going to say fxxxx it! And that day I will probably be banned from 02 haven by the faq inquisition.

FAQ Member # 91

A couple years a go I had not one but two 2002tiis...

My '73tii, Orange Julius, I loved dearly and it drove nicely. I parked it on a pillow in storage and tinkered mercilessly on it. It needed an engine rebuild, new door seals and other things. After I was rear-ended in my '74tii daily-driver I had an epiphany about survival on the streets here in the Bay Area and began to long for things like airbags and fuel tanks that reside under the rear seat.

I also felt it was time to have A/C and flow through ventilation, a radio that worked, power windows and most important of all, a low, entry-level price.

So I bought a "more modern" BMW that might very well be deemed the "spiritual successor" to the 2002tii for less than $2000. After several thousand dollars of repairs and upgrades, I have a reliable, fun-to-drive car that makes me smile every look at it.

Personally (and I'm very biased), it's been the best BMW I've ever owned, and my only car.

In my opinion, if I were to spend $100K on fixing up a tii, it *still* wouldn't match this particular car.

I'd tell you what it is, but I've already been chastised for "crowing" too much about this particular BMW model.

"An epicure, dining at Crewe,

found quite a large mouse in his stew,

said the waiter, “Don’t shout,

and wave it about,

or the rest will be wanting one, too!"

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Give it a bit of time.

Started with my '76, sorta got tired of the buzzing, wind noise, can't drive in the winter thing.

Went through an E30 325is (nice car, but seriously boring compared to an '02), then a '92 325is (love the suspension, much better drivers car than a E30) and then an '97 M3 (finally enough torque/hp for the chassis). That multilink rear is hoot on the track. Amazing.

M3 is my all weather, all the time, go anywhere, park anywhere car. I've done a ton of track days with it. Its quiet, reliable, but interestingly enough there is as much crap to fix on that car as the '02.... They seem to be fine if you can live with little things that are not perfect.....Totally agree about the downgrade in electronics for anything connected to the ZKE (electronic accessories/comfort).

Went full circle, now I can't wait to get my tii out to the track. Its slow and a ton of fun to drive.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

You're only getting too pissy if you reply to every post on this board with "use the search engine" Ha ha ha!

I must admit my 2002 is my daily driver, when it's not being seriously tinkered with, or the weather sucks, that's why I've got a pickup!

BD

I've been driving the wife's Boxtster for almost a month now since I killed 2nd gear in my deuce. While it is a nice ride and is comfortable quiet and reliable, it's slow as dog shit. I really miss my 2002. I figured I'd just pull the engine and tranny, slap the new block that I had ready to go with the 5 speed that Joeseph gave me and be done with it, naw, right now I have everything out of the engine bay, a bunch of holes welded up and am getting ready to paint it fresh, of course that means all kinds of stuff has to be redone as my bay looked like crap anyway. Off to work on it some more so I can feel the rush of a old car with soul.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

You can always go the other way like me... park the 02 most days and daily drive something even less practical and more fun... a motorcycle.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I too have run the gamut. e30 m3, e30's and now a e28 were and are all daily drivers.

I would never get rid of the '02. It's a ton of fun and I make them safe for the family to enjoy as well.

With that said, I used my '70 for the last few months as a daily. It's well dialed in and it does'nt suffer the breakdowns a 30+ year old car usually suffers. Great car. I just got back my e28 after loaning it for a few months to a family member and truth be told, it's nice with the A/C comfort seats etc., but it's no '02.

Get the e36, but keep an '02. You'll appreciate the '02 more.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793