• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CEYLON back from painter (nt)

ceylove

My '76 CEYLON back from painter & getting ready for the road and Euro bumpers. late bumper impact absorber holes will be covered by the chrome bumper so I left them-not the best way to do it, but I put $ into bodywork that will actually show. At least now I have a 3-hot-dog warming station...or a place to store 3-maple bars.

post-16993-13667618412089_thumb.jpg

post-16993-13667618416305_thumb.jpg

post-16993-13667618420503_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

Thanks all for the general thumbs up! The car was at 2002 AD in the pics. They did the tear down prior to painting, a 5-speed conversion and re-assembly after paint. They didn't do the paint or body work, just mechanical & some trim. 2002AD got it running, I'll be doing the fine tuning, fettle-work that we all know takes time. The car will get chrome bumpers in the next few months, just amassing the parts now. We're after a more or less authentic '75-'76 Euro spec car. After the bumpers, I'll do brake upgrade w/tii struts, suspension adding a bit of negative camber, and lastly motor work. I loved the DCOE Weber set up my 2000CS had, so FAR down the road, cam, carbs, exhaust.....$$$

Oh-left out the embarrassing part-One Day did the body work and paint-but it was at their shop 60 days with me policing the process and the outcome is OK for a driver.

post-16993-1366761842527_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

Oh-left out the embarrassing part-One Day did the body work and paint-but it was at their shop 60 days with me policing the process and the outcome is OK for a driver.

I stopped in 2002AD when I was in Pomona on business back in May 09. Owner was a really nice guy: tossed me the keys to a coupla 02's and let me take them out for a spin--without me asking. I am kinda curious to know what your statement quoted above means with regard to time and quality. Thanks.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Here are couple of Ceylon tiis owned by Bryan Lancelot and restored in the early '00s by Don Dethlefson's The Werk Shop:

cover_2.jpg

The stock tii was at the BMW CCA O'Fest in 2002 and won at least one trophy.

I remember people thinking how crazy it was to spend so much money on an '02...but given the rise in '02 prices and BMW parts, it may just be quite a bargain.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Guest Anonymous

Great color as previously stated, looks like you got a nice job. Good luck in California with duel carbs and smog check if it is '76 I hate to say (unless the law has changed recently). The '72tii Ceylon with all the ALPINA schtuff on it was the ex Tii Register founder's I believe (jeff mulcahy ???), completely outfitted tii with alot of the ALPINA stuff, 70L turbo tank, 15" alpina wheels, ALPINA FI, etc., etc., Funny, as I recall he got tired of his tii, bought a Ferrari 328 GTB, some years later I recall hearing divorced - lost ALL his toys (sad).

http://historicracingbmw.blogspot.com/

I had a former 73 Ceylon/tan interior sunroof Bavaria with CA blue plates. I bought it and drove it home for $400, complete with authentic 14" Alpina wheels. Previous owner pulled the original 3.0L and automatic and dropped in the drive train from a 79 E24 3.3L along with the 4 speed and converted it to EFI. I should have kept that one but I still have the Alpina wheels. That car liked to run. John Barlow on this forum now has the Bavaria. Ceylon in a big car makes a statement to stay the least

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Great color as previously stated, looks like you got a nice job. Good luck in California with duel carbs and smog check if it is '76 I hate to say (unless the law has changed recently). The '72tii Ceylon with all the ALPINA schtuff on it was the ex Tii Register founder's I believe (jeff mulcahy ???), completely outfitted tii with alot of the ALPINA stuff, 70L turbo tank, 15" alpina wheels, ALPINA FI, etc., etc., Funny, as I recall he got tired of his tii, bought a Ferrari 328 GTB, some years later I recall hearing divorced - lost ALL his toys (sad).

Jeff lost the tii in the divorce and he and the new wife (sources of the nasty divorce?) joined the Ferrari set. He now drives a GMC or something like that to haul her horses from show to show. Funny how life changes, because when I first met Jeff he lived and breathed ALPINA A4s (and got me addicted).

Anyway, it was the first Ceylon car I had even seen and it was beautiful! Lovely color.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Jeff lost the tii in the divorce and he and the new wife (sources of the nasty divorce?) joined the Ferrari set. He now drives a GMC or something like that to haul her horses from show to show. Funny how life changes, because when I first met Jeff he lived and breathed ALPINA A4s (and got me addicted).

Anyway, it was the first Ceylon car I had even seen and it was beautiful! Lovely color.

That's the guy/car. He was buying a Mondial when I looked at the car. I think he wanted 10k for it and I had just bought the Alpina prepped 71 and couldn't afford it at the time. Have never seen the car since. I wonder what happened to it. Also wish I understood how special it was at the time it was for sale. I would have found the money.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

That's the guy/car. He was buying a Mondial when I looked at the car. I think he wanted 10k for it and I had just bought the Alpina prepped 71 and couldn't afford it at the time. Have never seen the car since. I wonder what happened to it. Also wish I understood how special it was at the time it was for sale. I would have found the money.

I just remembered his Dad (who drove a Pantera) bought him the car new in 72 as a high school graduation present.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/