• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

optima batteries never again

BLUNT

im so tired of these pieces of crap. i dont abuse my batteries. they are on a quality tender all winter in a heated garage . this is the 3rd optima and this one appears to have gone south also. its 1.5 years old. i think i can get another on warranty but i dont even want one. i have to pull my entire rear brace to get it out because of the stupid design of my rear bar. i should have listened to otis. i know there will be guys who have had great luck with their optimas but i sure as hell havent.,...

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Wow. I have had great luck with mine. Even run them (marine version) in my motorhome and truck. The first one I bought is still working in the Alpina B9 I sold a few years ago. IfI had your experience, I wouldn't even think about another. Sure the tender is working correctly?

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

what words of wisdom did Good ol Otis tell you?

he told me to always keep a stack of ones in your pocket because you never know where youll end up. oh , you mean about batteries? he told me optimas were junk and to get some fancy schmancy battery he recommended but i forget the name now. i will ask him again. tim, i believe the tenders good. it works on my t bird and M3 and other stuff. i just came back from chicago a couple weeks ago and it was fine. it wouldnt bother me so much but its a real bitch to get that bar out.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

gee..... last I heard (and haven't heard )

the BMW 66AH battery in the trunk of my old

car is still ticking 8 ...9 years on!

I Love Original BMW Teile

02rearbatwcaptions.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I went through three Optimas (2nd & 3rd supplied under warranty) on my '95 Suburban. Optimas in a couple other cars were fine. YMMV.

If you put a non-sealed battery in the trunk or cabin, DON'T FORGET THE VENT TUBE.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I personally being a cheap guy am running the $50 Costco special... It's worked for 6 months now with no problems. But thats interesting the Optima's are going south with ya, I have a friend who has a tractor with a Red Top which he has never charged since he bought it 8 years ago... Thing sits in a cold barn all winter and gets run maybe every other week for short amounts of time. Hope your luck gets better!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I have had nothing but bad luck with Optima and nothing but good luck with Wal-Mart batteries. I used to compete in sound competitions and our shop team used them in a lot of cars. Later started using Kinetic but unless you want a battery that weighs as much as an M10 I wouldn't go with that.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

I wonder why some have good and others bad experiences with the Optima? Could it be issues with the electrical system?

I have had mine for 5 years now, and every winter when I store the car, all I do is unhook the battery and leave it in the trunk. Come spring I just hook it up and it starts every time.

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX