• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats my 02 worth?

I posted on this forum a few months ago right after I got my 02 seeking some basic knowledge about the car. However, after lots of time thinking about it, I've come to an unfortunate conclusion that this car must be sold as I have no money to spend on getting the car fixed and maintained, the garage is packed, and I need the extra dough.

Car info: The car has been sitting untouched in my dad's garage for well over 14 years. It was running smoothly and driven prior to it being put to rest for over a decade. The car is currently not running but I believe all it needs are the basic stuff like new filters, hoses, fluids, just good tune up should get it running. The body is in average condition with a few dings here and there but nothing major. The turn signal switch seems to have been yanked off and just hanging there. The interior is in pretty good shape with the passenger seats being mint however the driver seat does have a minor tear.

Let me know the value.

Thank You!!!

Pictures:

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

bm4.jpg

Get it running.

Especially if you can do it for free/cheap.

It'll triple your value.

Some where between heaven and hell

California, then? ;)

(usually a couple thousand, running and driving, round here. More if everything not in

the pictures, like the interior, is nice)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

....the truth ?

the interior is junk

the body has many glaring flaws

NOT RUNNING OR DRIVABLE

take a hard look at the brakes,steering, suspension,

electrics, and the engine room is a mess.

as it sits now? = $ 500 - and that's just for

the 'good' parts value

if you did all the work? = well, it run

anywhere from $2500 up to $7,000

put the car inside a dry storage area, and wait another 5 to

10 years and ask again -

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

... the engine room is a mess...

Really? I see a Pinto radiator, an older 32/36, and a

battery that scares me. Oh, yeah, and that plastic

fuel filter of death.

But as we both say, on a running car, that's what I'd expect

to find when the sign on the window said "$2002 or near offer"

And I would think that a low- rust car would go for quite a lot more in

the northeast. Supply and corrosion, you know...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

The sad truth of it is you won't get much for it as it is. However, I am willing to bet you a nickle that with new points, plugs, and a fresh battery and gas, you could get it running in an afternoon.

I gather from your description that you are a young fellow with limited resources which puts you in good company here because a lot of guys on this forum share your situation. You, unlike most of them, are way ahead of the game because (I suspect) you already have a garage kept car with little or no initial investment.

You have to drive something and for what you do get for your 02 you could only replace it with a Chinese motor scooter or some such.

OR you could, over time, be driving a character car which is famously reliable, economical, easy to work on, and FUN to drive.

Arguments for keeping it:

1)It's a freebie.

2)Parts are plentiful (unlike most vintage vehicles).

3)While restoring any car requires dedication and discipline you'll find the 02 pretty simple and straightforward mechanically.

4)You don't have to do it all at once. Get it running and stopping well first, then attend to the other details as you can.

5)You belong to this forum where ANY problem you can run into can be addressed by scores of guys who have "seen it all." And this valuable advice is offered for free I might add!

6)It belonged to your dad (who has a garage) who must have liked it at some point and may have some sentiment. If you can get him interested in breathing new life into the old junker it becomes a father and son project. Even if he just stands to the side and tells you how wrong you are doing everything he will take great pride in seeing you accomplish the task, with his help of course. The value of this alone far exceeds whatever you ultimately gain monetarily for the car at some point in the future.

7) If you go stale on the project you can always sell it and for more than you would get right now since it will be running and with whatever improvements you have made to it.

8)You are going to like driving it!

Arguments for selling it:

1) You may realize about $500 for it as is (which, being so small an amount, in a month or so will be gone without a trace like smoke on the wind.

2) It will clear space in dad's garage.

3) It may possibly go to someone dedicated and we add another comrade to our roster.

Just the ramblings of an old timer.

I agree with the Board - about $500 as is, maybe $2,000 running and driving. I've been watching '02 sales here in Central California and don't see that car going for any more than that given its condition.

And year is a huge factor here. A '74 or '75 you can sell locally. A '76 and you'll either need to get it smogged yourself (to prove to a buyer that it does smog) or sell it out of state.

Where it is located now?

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

I love Mintgrun, one of my favorite colors. I'd give you $500 delivered, but only if it's a 1975. Seriously, 76's in California aren't considered a good buy at any price based on our smog laws. If you do get it running, it will definately help the sale and if it is a 76, I would put it on Ebay for an out of state buyer.

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Of course it'll be well worth a crapload more money for a couple bucks of parts and an afternoon of fiddling with it.

Well, iff'n you don't have the time/money, plus of course you don't wanna spend the money to have a pro. mechanic get it running...

why can't you get someone knowledgeable nearby you to help you out with it for an afternoon? Maybe for 50 or 100 bucks?

It wouldn't even have to be someone that knows 02s, but someone that knows old cars and systems. Hell, I spent last night getting a '78 Swinger moped running for a local girl, and I know virtually nothing about mopeds!

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Alright, heres the scoop. I did change the air filter, battery, cleaned out the carb, poured in some new fluids and washed everything up a bit. However, I haven't gassed it up yet as I only have a few cans of VP race fuels and I'd hate to waste it all on something that may not even work, also I'm not quite sure I should be running race fuel on this car anyway. The car is garaged. I'm not expecting to take it to a mechanic just to get it running, nor am I expecting to make big bucks off selling it. I'll stop by the gas station some time this weekend and try to get this bad boy running. I'll give it my best shot to get it to fire up but if I'm unable to get it started, its gotta go.

Alright, heres the scoop. I did change the air filter, battery, cleaned out the carb, poured in some new fluids and washed everything up a bit. However, I haven't gassed it up yet as I only have a few cans of VP race fuels and I'd hate to waste it all on something that may not even work, also I'm not quite sure I should be running race fuel on this car anyway. The car is garaged. I'm not expecting to take it to a mechanic just to get it running, nor am I expecting to make big bucks off selling it. I'll stop by the gas station some time this weekend and try to get this bad boy running. I'll give it my best shot to get it to fire up but if I'm unable to get it started, its gotta go.

Where are you? I'm sure someone in your area would love nothing better than to go take a look at it with you & get it started, safely, without damaging the engine. Also it would be of help to let someone who's knows all the trouble areas to take a quick look at things & save you from any potential disaster.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I'm in Glendale California. I know a mechanic just 7 miles north of me who owns two 02s and works on the older German cars for a living. That being said, I can easily get this thing up and running without breaking a sweat. The only problem is that I don't have the time or money to deal with this at the moment and I have a feeling that one thing will lead to another and I'll end up spending more than necessary to get it running to my liking.