• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats my 02 worth?

I'm in Glendale California. I know a mechanic just 7 miles north of me who owns two 02s and works on the older German cars for a living. That being said, I can easily get this thing up and running without breaking a sweat. The only problem is that I don't have the time or money to deal with this at the moment and I have a feeling that one thing will lead to another and I'll end up spending more than necessary to get it running to my liking.

I'll echo the getting it running theme. Not directed at you because you were probably in grade school the last time it ran but I can't tell you the number of times I and others have been burned by "It was running fine when parked" only to find blown engines, lunched transmissions, on and on. It is standard operating procedure of the unscrupulous to give the 'was running fine' or 'just needs carburetor adjustment' when unloading a melted piece of crap.

Specifically: If you don't want to spend much money, just file the points, borrow a battery out of another car, get a gallon of gas for $3.

The other thing is clear title which I assume you have. The legal owner can clear up title and registration problems much faster then someone buying the car. Put it on non-op if you don't want to spend the money for full registration.

One of my favorite wags was when a friend was checking out a car he was considering buying and the owner said 'it just had a valve job.' My friend replied 'That must be some mechanic. He managed to do a valve job w/o so much as smearing that heavy layer of crud on the valve cover.'