• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on product to clean/polish tail light lenses?

Grover

Yea, I was talking about old lenses, like the ones you would find on older BMWs, Triumphs, Porsches, etc. A buddy of mine cleans up old 356, and VW lenses and sells them on ebay for huge bucks. I mostly use this technique on MG and Triumph lenses undergoing restorations.

I've had good luck cleaning clear plastic instrument cluster faces with Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and #10 Clear Plastic Polish. You're welcome to borrow them if you want to give it a go on taillight lenses.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

i just used a synthetic cutter buffing compound worked really well. if your feeling ambitious you could always go for 3000g sand paper, wet sand and clear coat, or a wax. did that on a 07 vette last week but its not fun

An armed society is a polite society

• 6 years later...

I was able to find Star Brite Plastic Polish/Restorer at my local Ace Hardware store, works great.

To reseal the inner pieces use two small dabs of clear silicone caulk or Lexel. Use very little.

Also buy some chrome or light aluminum paint to restore the reflectors.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I've had good luck with the NOVUS brand line of products on all sorts of different plastics.

Ditto. Good 3 step process. works well. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I was able to find Star Brite Plastic Polish/Restorer at my local Ace Hardware store, works great.

To reseal the inner pieces use two small dabs of clear silicone caulk or Lexel. Use very little.

Also buy some chrome or light aluminum paint to restore the reflectors.

Some have had mixed results using chrome or aluminum paint on the reflectors. A lot of Hot-Rodders and restorers have gone to painting the reflectors with gloss white. They have even done lumen testing and found it to be better than chrome/AL paint. 

Some have had mixed results using chrome or aluminum paint on the reflectors. A lot of Hot-Rodders and restorers have gone to painting the reflectors with gloss white. They have even done lumen testing and found it to be better than chrome/AL paint. 

^^^  What he said.  I have been using two versions of a 'metallic silver' to restore reflectors, add more 'shiny' to help reflect the light out through the lens.  After 40 years that old coating is typically gone.  Frankly, their idea of 'chrome silver' and my idea are not the same, and I am open to trying something else.  If white works better than silver, I will offer it in my restorations as an option. Until I can find something with a truly mirror-finish silver. 

Based on more than one individual asking about this 'scientific study' that claims a better result with gloss white paint, notable in E24 six and E10 '02 lights, I am going to try using the white.  I have a reflector from a 1974, already restored with the silver, and a pretty sad one that is totally black, which I am going to spray white for a realistic side by side comparison.

Stay tuned for the results of this comparison.  I will be posting a new topic with art, hopefully I can find two decent square lenses to use.  If I cannot, I may make a plea for a broken- with- all- pieces- present lens I can assemble with adhesive, in case anyone has one or two of these and could donate it to the cause...

(2/25 UPDATE) - LENSES - found three lenses in my stash, two left lenses and one right.  The right and one of the left are trashed, so the one I really need is a right - if anyone has one they aren't using.

I am willing to provide high output lighting stuff in trade if that will help. Maybe a set of 8 HO lamps for your brakes, four turns, and tails?  (END UPDATE)

Thanks for the suggestion, Vicleonardo1.

Andy

Edited by MoBrighta

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

You are welcome. 

White Paint with a lot of titanium dioxide seems to be the best. 

Can't wait to see your results. 

Here is a cut and paste from the Jalopy Journal Forum awhile ago. A gentleman named Digger Dave ran the test. 

Did an experiment with the same tail light socket painted various colors inside.

I set the repo tail light assembly on a temporary bracket with a very sensitive light meter set about three feet away from the tail light. (assembled with lens in place) With all of the shop lights OFF, I took measurements after changing the inside bucket colors.
First measurement was with the original BLACK that the new assembly came with.
Then repainted it SILVER. Then spray can CHROME. And finally BRIGHT WHITE.

BLACK was the base line.
SILVER resulted in a 20 % improvement
CHROME resulted in a 20 % improvement.
WHITE resulted in a 60 % improvement.

WHITE from my experience is THE BEST!

Thank you for working to make our 02's safer. 

Vic

I've had good luck cleaning clear plastic instrument cluster faces with Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and #10 Clear Plastic Polish. You're welcome to borrow them if you want to give it a go on taillight lenses.

Yup...been using these products on all things smooth plastic for years. Great results!

1969 2002 Colorado

1970 2002 Agave

1974 2002 sold back in the 80's

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto- The window faces down and towards the quarter panel, with the wire clip (about 1:00 in your picture) at the bottom.

The tabs for reverse and turn signal wires point down when installed, with the brake inboard, the tail outboard, and the reverse at the top.

Looks like an LED insert in the turn signal, no?

White or amber?

Pics of it compared to a bulb?

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.