• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on product to clean/polish tail light lenses?

Grover

There are several products that are $20 and under, but the reports I've read about them is that they are marginal at best. 3m has a professional grade kit that is very expensive, but also works very well. A friend of mine is a dealer VW tech with experience using this product. I know that he's quite pleased with the results. I've thought about getting a cheapie kit for my Jeep, because something is better than nothing...

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

On second thought, Tom, I believe somewhere in the small print, the disclaimers say that they aren't effective on red-center tail lights, so you should send them to my disposal facility immediately!

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I've used their products successfully for years on motorcycle fairings, helmet face shield, plexi coffee table tops :) and drop top rear plexi, They used to sell a couple other products but looks like they've gone to a "kit". I still use toothpaste for brass and soft metals as well!

http://www.meguiars.com/estoreproduct_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar%27s%20Brand)%3EClear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=15101

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Plastic lenses are made from acrylic. No need to polish them. Wash them very well and allow to dry completely. Spray both sides with clear acrylic spray paint. The paint slightly dissolves the pitted surface and dries flat and clear. Works absolutely fantastic. You will swear they are brand new lenses. I've been using this method for about 10 years with no problems. It works great on the back side where the lenses are not smooth as well.

Many automotive lenses are made from PC (polycarbonate) or a blend such as PC/ABS. You may be right about the (older ones) having an acrylic composition. Whatever you do to "fix" the lens, start with the least abrasive method first.

I work in the plastics industry and have done many projects with automotive suppliers who make headlights, tailights, dashboards, seats, etc.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"