• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prove me wrong!

dubois

Is the BMW 02 the best BMW ever existed, or take it further: one of the best cars ever???

I can't think of any car right now that I so look so much forward to drive than my 2002. Bacchus is still in the shop and it is driving me absolutely crazy! Anyone wants to visit me with a 2002?

FAQ Member # 91

Well, there is really no best anything unless you want to define a measurement scale of some type. I love 2002's, have had many, and my affair with them goes back to 1973. That said, they are hard to compare with cars that actually have ac and ventilation. In my opinion, the E28 and E30 variants are the best cars BMW ever produced. They have just the right amt of stuff (sport seats, ac, cruise, electronic fuel injection, antilock brakes, etc) without having too much weight, complexitity and plastic. They just feel right. For my money, the E30 M3 is my personal favorite, not that I don't love 2002's.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Is the BMW 02 the best BMW ever existed, or take it further: one of the best cars ever???

I can't think of any car right now that I so look so much forward to drive than my 2002. Bacchus is still in the shop and it is driving me absolutely crazy! Anyone wants to visit me with a 2002?

Proving you wrong would difficult because this is so subjective.

I like the E30 318is. It's everything a 2002 is (light, numble, airy, simple, tossable, unpretentious, reliable, inexpensive to maintain, easily customizable and modifiable, seats five and has a huge trunk, FUN TO DRIVE) and some things the 2002 is lacking (better mileage, 5-speed, AC that works, fuel injection, distributorless ignition, power windows, locks and mirrors, spill-free and frustration-free fuel fill ups, a clock.)

An E30 M3 has some advantages, but i's so much more expensive to buy and to maintain. It's like a tii.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I'd gladly head your way, but I'm in the starting some winter projects on my 02, including putting on that SS exhaust I got from you. I'm getting my DCOE 45s rebuilt, and am planning on doing some other small repairs that I've had on my list for a few months. I'll let you know when I'm done and perhaps we can go have some fun on a few twisty roads?

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

Well, it's better than a Porsche.

Obviously Michael thinks so, or he'd be on the Cayman forum asking the same quesiton about his blue-bomb.

But, my answer: not in its stock form. Fresh off the factory floor? This:02.jpg

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

I agree with CD (sooooo sorry he sold it) about the Mercedes. Unless you have been exposed to one over a length of time you may never get it. The 123 is such a stout car. Before I bought my 2002 I had a line on a 240D that had been in fresh water and the motor was .... bent. I also had a line on a rusty and dented 500SEC. I could have bought both for 1500. So I was going to build a Hammer. Then I found that you need a 280E rear diff and a few other pricy things to get it to work right........

Bought the 2002!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Yesterday I took my stock E36 M3 to QS and kept saying "it's not the same, it's not the same!"

There are cars that at the end of the road, you say WOW, let's do that again! And it has nothing to do with horsepower! Josh, you know how I feel about the P cars, they come a very, very close second.

I agree the E30 M3 and the E28's were probably the last cars were BMW stayed honest to themselves. What happened since? The E36 M3 feels heavy, disconnected, the seating position is too high, visibility sucks, gearbox (supposedly a CR) gearing is all wrong, at 6k miles doesn't scream, steering too soft, shifting sucks, suspension too soft, sound sucks. To fix all this, I would have to dump an incredible amount of cash! Not that I haven't in my 2002, but the point is that out of the box the 02 was relatively a much better car. Mechanically there is nothing wrong with my E36's, but it feels more like a hot rod Mustang! Yes add a supercharger to it, it would only feel worse! This was supposed to be a sports car? Boy our standards were pretty low back then!

Yes, I am trying to sell this car! LOL

FAQ Member # 91

Have to agree about this being really subjective. I absolutely loved my E30 325i, and honestly think a M20/M50 E30 or (of course) E30 M3 makes a much better overall DD than an 02. More fun in the twisties... no, puts a big stupid grin on your face...no, but from a comfort and usability standpoint, not much could beat that car. I agree 100% that the E28/E30 were the last cars that staid true to what a 'BMW' was, the E34/E36 just aren't right.

Best car... wow. Best at what? In cornering a Lotus 7 will easily best an 02, in straight line most newer cars destroy it, for mileage.... yeah. Even for the mix of all those I would say E30 M3 or maybe even E30 318is (or 2nd gen MR2 or moded 240sx at the risk of going non-euro). The thing that always won over my heart with the 02 was that yes, I was going slower then I did in the E30 or Supra (had one of those too, a lot like a 6-series really), but I was having fun doing it. The only other car I've driven that was so much fun to just toss around was a first gen Miata, and that didn't have anywhere near the cargo space/back seat an 02 has. The 02 is just practical fun.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

opf all the bmw's i've owned and driven:

1970 2002

1983 528e

1986 325e

1976 2002

1991 318is

1991 325i - current DD

1995 325ic

1972 2002tii

2004 X3

the best all around is the 318is, and the VERY close 2nd is the tii

'cause the 318is, as someone else mentioned, has all the attributes of the tii with a stiffer chassis, less maintenance, light, nimble, tossable, the best 4cyl motor BMW ever produced, and all the modern thingy's you like in a car like AC that blows cold.

i would also add that every bmw i've owned has it's special qualities that make each ride enjoyable

but the e30 318is rocks

when you jump on it, the motor gets this growl similar to an S14 and it just flat out goes where you want it. a VERY FUN CAR.

the baby e30 M3

BUT, for fun appeal and driving enjoymnet, the tii is the king

more people smile and wave in the tii than any other car i've owned

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”