• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prove me wrong!

dubois

The only other car I've driven that was so much fun to just toss around was a first gen Miata

AMEN Brotha!

Mazda is the only manufacturer today (ok maybe Mini) that has any Elvis.

I always wished Mazda made a little upright 2 door on that chassis. My mother has a 97 (last year of the first gen but with the 1.8 and torsen diff) with 24K on it. Such a nice car.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I agree the E30 M3 and the E28's were probably the last cars were BMW stayed honest to themselves. What happened since?

They got bloated. You can stick big tires and big engines in bloated cars and they will have great performance numbers, but will they be fun to drive? We know the answer.

The e28 M5 and e30 M3 -- the last great BMWs.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Yesterday I took my stock E36 M3 to QS and kept saying "it's not the same, it's not the same!"

There are cars that at the end of the road, you say WOW, let's do that again! And it has nothing to do with horsepower! Josh, you know how I feel about the P cars, they come a very, very close second.

I agree the E30 M3 and the E28's were probably the last cars were BMW stayed honest to themselves. What happened since? The E36 M3 feels heavy, disconnected, the seating position is too high, visibility sucks, gearbox (supposedly a CR) gearing is all wrong, at 6k miles doesn't scream, steering too soft, shifting sucks, suspension too soft, sound sucks. To fix all this, I would have to dump an incredible amount of cash! Not that I haven't in my 2002, but the point is that out of the box the 02 was relatively a much better car. Mechanically there is nothing wrong with my E36's, but it feels more like a hot rod Mustang! Yes add a supercharger to it, it would only feel worse! This was supposed to be a sports car? Boy our standards were pretty low back then!

Yes, I am trying to sell this car! LOL

I took my E36 M3 on the Turkey run. It's stock. I have done this run many times. I have NEVER driven it so fast. And the car had more reserve. The road did not allow me to get any faster without getting dangerous.

I have friven this road with my 69 2002. Not near as fast but, I am pushing the limits of the car. I have more fun driving the 2002. But it is not stock. Far from it. I have driven the road in a stock 2002. Compared to a stock E36 M3, I'll take the M3. But some mods, the 2002 wins.

What about the 318is? On a twisty road, it's close. But the 318is makes a much better daily driver.

But I have one of each. Problem solved.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Don't forget the 91 318i sedan, it has the same great M42 motor as the coupe but with four door practicality. The E30 with a M42 is somewhat of a rare car since it was produced in 91 only except for 92 E30 318i conv. I love to drive that car like I stole it, the M42 comes alive after 3500 RPM. Of all my cars, it's the best every day driver. I'm with Pierre, I have a tii and a E30 M42 so I have the best of both. The tii just puts a bigger grin on my face when I drive it.

G-Man

91 318i sedan 5 speed (girlfriends daily driver)

89 325i sedan 5 speed (oldest daughters daily driver)

86 325 coupe 5 speed (youngest daughters daily driver)

81 528iA Euro spec (new toy)

74 2002tii (many mods)

70 E3 2800 Euro spec, 4 speed, 106K original KM's, stock

96 4Runner 4cyl, 5 speed (parts hauler)

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

My peugeot 404 just might be! :)

It gets more waves and smiles -

I'm just a clown driving a clown car - going nowhere fast and it's alright!

The same car my dad drove until I was 16 I think.

MHV_Peugeot_404_Diesel_1964_01.jpg

The 02 is so connected to the road. That's one of my biggest reasons I enjoy driving this little car.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

'02s are great, having owned many and still owning more than a few. My vote for favorite goes to either the E30 M3 or the E30 325ix(!). As an everyday car, the 325ix is tough to beat, especially in areas that experience varying weather. Amazing traction/grip, yet still fun and fairly balanced to drive. For pure fun driving, the E30 M3 is tough to beat right out of the box, whereas a 2002 really benefits from a few mods. The E30 318i/is is also good, but just not enough power after getting used to a 325i or M3, IMHO.

Is the BMW 02 the best BMW ever existed, or take it further: one of the best cars ever???

I can't think of any car right now that I so look so much forward to drive than my 2002. Bacchus is still in the shop and it is driving me absolutely crazy! Anyone wants to visit me with a 2002?

I wish I could agree with you, but I can't.

A BMW 2002 is a fine car, but it isn't the best BMW built. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the 4 cylinder engine, it just isn't smooth enough for me. that and a 4 speed tranny, it needs a 5.

I'd easily choose a 507 as the best BMW built, being it's a sexy 2 seater roadster. I also think a 3.0CSL would be a close second. I prefer my 5 and 6 series Alpina's and M cars over all the 2002's I've owned. I'd probably would take a 2002 turbo if someone offered it to me cheap enough but I wouldn't pay $$$ for one.

As for best car ever??? That's a tall list and a BMW 2002 isn't on mine.

Think:

AC Shelby Cobra

Ferrari (multiple Ferrari cars but the GTO is damn sexy and near the top)

Masterati (muira, Countach)

Aston Martin (again many models not just a Db4)

Porsche (mainly just the cool 550 spider but I guess I could live with a 73 911RSR)

Alfa (tons of pre and post war models)

Shelby (Gt 350, 500)

The list goes on and on..... unfortunately I have very few BMW's are on this list.

WH

Is the BMW 02 the best BMW ever existed, or take it further: one of the best cars ever???

I can't think of any car right now that I so look so much forward to drive than my 2002. Bacchus is still in the shop and it is driving me absolutely crazy! Anyone wants to visit me with a 2002?

I wish I could agree with you, but I can't.

A BMW 2002 is a fine car, but it isn't the best BMW built. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the 4 cylinder engine, it just isn't smooth enough for me. that and a 4 speed tranny, it needs a 5.

I'd easily choose a 507 as the best BMW built, being it's a sexy 2 seater roadster. I also think a 3.0CSL would be a close second. I prefer my 5 and 6 series Alpina's and M cars over all the 2002's I've owned. I'd probably would take a 2002 turbo if someone offered it to me cheap enough but I wouldn't pay $$$ for one.

As for best car ever??? That's a tall list and a BMW 2002 isn't on mine.

Think:

AC Shelby Cobra

Ferrari (multiple Ferrari cars but the GTO is damn sexy and near the top)

Masterati (muira, Countach)

Aston Martin (again many models not just a Db4)

Porsche (mainly just the cool 550 spider but I guess I could live with a 73 911RSR)

Alfa (tons of pre and post war models)

Shelby (Gt 350, 500)

The list goes on and on..... unfortunately I have very few BMW's are on this list.

WH

The Cambodian friend of mine that own the donut shop in town (hence the two boxes on pass seat) let me drive his Lambo, with size 12 shoes, it was kind of difficult for me to push only one pedal at the time, besides, I had to twist my hips to the right to find the pedals! Other than that it was a great car...LOL!

Hosting provided by FotoTime

FAQ Member # 91

No, that'd be Roy's... http://www.m2bmw.com/roy-wicklund.htm

Mine pales in comparison! http://www.m2bmw.com/ray_koke.htm

Cheers,

Ray

Well, it's better than a Porsche.

Hahahahaha!

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Was your car worked on or built by Mario?..at VSR? I spoke to him yesterday....any pics or a link of the car?..

thanks

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.