• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What have I done? (newbie says "hello")

Well, I did it.

I went and traded my '73 911T (affectionately known as 'rustbucket') for a '73 2002. It was sort of a "I'll swap my project car for your project car" deal. No money traded.

So here is what I got.

thread w/ pics

I had the Porsche for quite some time and it had become apparent that i may never get it on the road. I'm hoping that this will be much less a project than the 911. We'll see.

My first question is, the PO claims the engine is a "ti". I thought the ti had a dual carb/manifold set-up. This engine does not. Can I tell what I have by some casting numbers in the block or head?

Thanks,

Clint in the 'burgh

aka the world's slowest mechanic

'73 2002

'87 535is

There's a VIN table for US cars in the '02 FAQs (look at the top of this web page). You'll find a VIN on the right front inner fender stamped near the riveted ID tag, and on the top of the engine block near the starter.

If your "ti" is a real ti, you may not find the VIN in the FAQs because none were made for the US.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

you better get the ===P O R S C H E=== back pronto !!!!

you did not get a " ti " if your missing the Twin- Solex induction

with correct air cleaner - just for biginners. Sorry to say yer fuched.

here are the " ti " vin numbers which you should of

started with in ANY car purchase ! "You 'll not be fooled again !"

2002 ti = 1680001 to 1696450

1600 ti = 1580001 to 1588670

and earlier " ti " motor equiped NEW CLASSE models

which we're sure your not talkin about here:

1800 ti = 980001 to 990000

1800 ti = 993001 to 993567 RL

1800 ti = 1410001 to 1417850

1800 tisa = 995001 to 995200 1800 TISA

2000 ti = 1400001 to 1400420 RL

2000 ti = 1430001 to 1436062

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

the description says the engine is from a '71, altho it's a '73 body. The '71 engines had a cylinder head that's marked "121ti" on the casting. Many folks think that means the engine is a "ti" engine. It isn't. That's just the type of head (the original '73 engine would have an "E12" head).

Also, even by 1971, BMW wasn't making "real" ti's any more--the factory was transitioning to the fuel injected tii model, introduced in Europe in 1971 and the US in 1972. Finally, the dual Solex side draft, carbureted ti's were never officially imported to the US.

Regardless, enjoy your new find--if it were mine, I'd have fun driving it and sorting out the little niggly things this fall, then repair the rust and paint it over the winter, so it'll be ready for more fun in the spring. Welcome to the '02 fellowship.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

hey clint.

i'm in south side. where are you at? you can email me at davidbentz at gmail dot com

if you need a local hand i'll see what i can do, but i'm always up for a good drive.

take care

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Welcome! Doesn't look too bad--and as Mike said, the engine confusion is probably due to the "121ti" head casting. You can check the engine VIN near the starter to confirm. Regardless, sounds fine to me as a swap for a rusty Porsche--even if it's also rusty, '02s are pretty simple mechanically and it could be a good beater/driver.

I'm also in the Pittsburgh area (30 miles north, outside Butler), though I'm visiting my wife's family in Texas now. We'll be back in PA the middle of next week. Shoot me an email--I'd be happy to connect with another '02er in the area and lend a hand with evaluation or some mechanical projects.

DLHoovler at hotmail dot com

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

the description says the engine is from a '71, altho it's a '73 body. The '71 engines had a cylinder head that's marked "121ti" on the casting. Many folks think that means the engine is a "ti" engine. It isn't. That's just the type of head (the original '73 engine would have an "E12" head).

Also, even by 1971, BMW wasn't making "real" ti's any more--the factory was transitioning to the fuel injected tii model, introduced in Europe in 1971 and the US in 1972. Finally, the dual Solex side draft, carbureted ti's were never officially imported to the US.

cheers

mike

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike – you are correct. It is titled as a “normal” 1973 2002. The engine is supposedly from an earlier “ti”. I’ll look tonight, but I don’t believe it has the “121ti” markings on the head.

Regardless, enjoy your new find--if it were mine, I'd have fun driving it and sorting out the little niggly things this fall, then repair the rust and paint it over the winter, so it'll be ready for more fun in the spring. Welcome to the '02 fellowship.

cheers

mike

Thanks! That’s my plan. Try to enjoy it now as I slowly repair/refinish it. (note my signature for the emphasis on “slowly”)

Clint in the 'burgh

'73 2002

'87 535is

hey clint.

i'm in south side. where are you at? you can email me at davidbentz at gmail dot com

if you need a local hand i'll see what i can do, but i'm always up for a good drive.

take care

Dave

Hi Dave.

South Hills (bethel park). I just noticed that I had the “e-mail option” turned off on my profile. That must be the default.

Yes, seeing an early 911 or a 2002 cruising around town is a rare site. It would be great to get a “euro fun run” going some time. Lots of great roads around here.

Are you a member of the local bmwcca? I’m not, but a guy at the PVGP talked to me and I was thinking about joining.

Clint in the 'burgh

'73 2002

'87 535is

I looked at that car 2yrs. ago It was in Langhorne, right? The guy claimed he was a BMW and Land Rover "Mechanic" Yet, he couldn't get the car started.

Hi there skinny,

Yea, if Langhorne is in Lower Bucks County, that's the one.

Although he claimed that it was running and was driven onto the tow dolly for "the swap".

Hmmmm.....guess I'll find out soon enough.

Was ther anything else you noticed about the car that I should be aware of?

Clint in the 'burgh

'73 2002

'87 535is

Welcome! Doesn't look too bad--and as Mike said, the engine confusion is probably due to the "121ti" head casting. You can check the engine VIN near the starter to confirm. Regardless, sounds fine to me as a swap for a rusty Porsche--even if it's also rusty, '02s are pretty simple mechanically and it could be a good beater/driver.

I'm also in the Pittsburgh area (30 miles north, outside Butler), though I'm visiting my wife's family in Texas now. We'll be back in PA the middle of next week. Shoot me an email--I'd be happy to connect with another '02er in the area and lend a hand with evaluation or some mechanical projects.

DLHoovler at hotmail dot com

-Dave

Thanks Dave.

I'll have to dig into it a bit more to see what I've got and what I need. Thanks for the offer.

Clint in the 'burgh

'73 2002

'87 535is

Rusty porchies are only a little bit more interesting than clean porchies. Welcome to the addiction/disease/problem/nightmare/fold...

IMO a sorted 02 will outclass a chopped-up VW Beetle (*cough* early porchie) any day of the week. :) of course, nobody cares about my opinion...

i remember calling that guy when he had that car advertised. seems like the original ti-body suffered a crash and the engine swap was done by the owners who used it as a daily driver. he was not willing to sell the engine separately (don't blame him) and i could not justify the expense of shipping the entire car to the west coast just for the engine. sure wish it were closer as it would have been a great addition to my assemblage of ti-parts i've gathered.

post the engine VIN when you have a chance.

would be interesting to get your comparison on driving this car vs. your 911.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

engine is original to the car. And a 73 would have an E12 cylinder head. I think your original post indicated that the engine was from a '71, which would have had a 121ti cylinder head.

IIRC, carbureted 73's VINs begin at 2585137; Mobile Tradition can tell you the exact build date of your car, as well as its original color...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite