• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How-to identify Tii struts?

djm1968

The first clue is indeed to measure "C" at 3.5" but beware...

Yup, the warning is that it could also be (very, very slight chances) that you have a Neue Klasse Ti strut with 3.5" "C" distance too. But let's remember that the Neue Klasse Ti and 2002 Ti/Tii struts are different. On the NK Ti struts, those caliper mounting points are located further away from the spindle (center) and fitting a vented caliper on an e21 disc will result in pads with ovehang, above the disc. A couple of members here have had that problem. I also tested it with Roy Hopkins who had NK Ti struts thinking they were Tii... ;-(

Anyone got a picture of NK Ti struts to compare w/the 02 Tii strut?

Very few of us have ever seen an NK TI strut. I’ve certainly never. They’ve gotta be uber rare (unless you have an NK ti)!

Sorry, no help here!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

To make things more complicated... Neue Klasse1800Ti and 2000Ti struts also have that 3.5" mounting distance, but the geometry of the strut is not the same as for a 2002 Ti or Tii...

Oups. It has been mentioned already. Sorry. I too was thinking of Roy Hopkin's glitch a decade ago...

Edited by Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• 3 years later...

I'm going to kick this thread again.

Here are my questions: I have tii struts on my car (with the 5 series calipers and vented e21 rotors). The threads for the gland nuts are on the outside of the strut tube.

I have another set of strut housings that measure 3.5 inches on the caliper mounting points, but the gland nut threads are on the inside of the strut tube. AND the tubes themselves are somewhat larger in diameter than the ones on my car.

Could these be e21 struts?

I can post photos if that helps.

One image shows one of my mystery struts with a standard 02 strut tube. The mystery strut is shorter and fatter, 48 mm ID vs. 43 mm ID, by my quick measurement. (I hope those numbers make sense.)

The caliper mounting points on the mystery strut are 3.5 inches apart, like tii struts. There are no mounting points for brake lines.

struttube2.jpg

struttube3.jpg

• Alpina
On 1/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, Robert Kyle said:

another picture for reference:

di-bmw_2002_tii_struts-86e92eb29f1e4c01f

@d.hitchcock measure A. They’re most likely late 2000 struts. That’s what I used on my big brake build. 

• Like 2

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

Is it possibly a late NK strut? My memory of this stuff is fuzzy, but I vaguely recall that late NK struts used an internal thread in the top the strut tube for the gland nut, and they were either fatter from the factory, or Alpina used larger diameter tubes for theirs.

Image is of a February 69 2000 CS strut. Note the apparent external threading on the gland nut, which would indicate internal threading on the strut tube.

Late NK strut image.jpeg

• Like 1

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”