• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EMERGENCY need advice

BLUNT

is the filter remote located or bolted to the block as in 2002's?

any chance of a downstream from the filter blockage?

filters remotely located. anythings possible but i had oil draining from both filter hoses when dismantled last night with veins bulging from my forehead

can you verify the oil is getting all the way back to the pan?

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

filters remotely located. anythings possible but i had oil draining from both filter hoses when dismantled last night with veins bulging from my forehead

no i guess i cant. i did have 90psi when i bypassed the oil cooler right before it blew the oil filter off though.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

no i guess i cant. i did have 90psi when i bypassed the oil cooler right before it blew the oil filter off though.

well, it has to be either the pressure relief valve or something building pressure in the system by blocking free flow of the oil.

i'd check the plumbing first to verify free flow before dropping the oil pan if i were having the same problem.

good luck steve.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

well, it has to be either the pressure relief valve or something building pressure in the system by blocking free flow of the oil.

i'd check the plumbing first to verify free flow before dropping the oil pan if i were having the same problem.

good luck steve.

youre right george and thank you., im going out to do that now

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Guest Anonymous

If you buy the S14 oil pump and plan to put the 2002 M10 pickup on it, you are just paying too much to get the same thing accomplished as purchasing the 2002 M10 pump that you needed.

The S14 oil pump body IS the same OE part number as any M10 pump body.

The BMW pumps I have bought were not made by Febi, but maybe that changed in the last couple years... Febi is/was cheaper but not worth it.

I saw in your more recent post you sourced the evo pump -- I'd be real curious to see pics & hear what you find different on that item, so if you can find time to gather some details on it before it's installed, please share!

Hopefully you're inside the engine for the last time for many years to come! It sucks to fix a new oil pump, I felt the same pain recently (non-BMW racecar pressure relief stuck open..)

good luck steve.

youre right george and thank you., im going out to do that now

I agree. That is why I thought to put the stock filter back on in the stock location- to determine if the problem is internal or in the external line. I found a thread on the s14 pump that seems to suggest (as was posted ealier in this thread) that the s14 pump has the oil relief valve as part of the pickup.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26857&highlight=sport+evo+pump&page=2

as can be seen here:

Again- good luck steve! Let us know how it goes.

Pete

CLUTCHWRONGPARTS041.jpg

Steve - saw that you're moving to the S14 Evo oilpump now, but that you were once again planning to install the 2002 pickup on it.

I saw "bent" wrote above:

Put the M3 pickup back on the oil pump. There's a relief valve on it specifically intended to prevent severe overpressurization on cold startup. The standard pressure valve on the pump side of the assembly is only intended to regulate hot running pressure, the drain from that valve is too small to cope with cold, thick oil at high pressure.

You'll need to remove the bottom most sheet metal "funnel" from the M3 pickup, you can swap the 2002's screen on instead.

I have no expertise myself, but it seems from the above that putting the M10/2002 pickup on the S14 pump might be a problem again? Also from another post in this thread, you'll want to get the special 'high-pressure' Mahle oil filter as well.

Bummer you had this issue so close to your V&V trip... Hope it all goes back together one last time and isn't an issue after that.

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Steve - saw that you're moving to the S14 Evo oilpump now, but that you were once again planning to install the 2002 pickup on it.

I saw "bent" wrote above:

Put the M3 pickup back on the oil pump. There's a relief valve on it specifically intended to prevent severe overpressurization on cold startup. The standard pressure valve on the pump side of the assembly is only intended to regulate hot running pressure, the drain from that valve is too small to cope with cold, thick oil at high pressure.

You'll need to remove the bottom most sheet metal "funnel" from the M3 pickup, you can swap the 2002's screen on instead.

I have no expertise myself, but it seems from the above that putting the M10/2002 pickup on the S14 pump might be a problem again? Also from another post in this thread, you'll want to get the special 'high-pressure' Mahle oil filter as well.

Bummer you had this issue so close to your V&V trip... Hope it all goes back together one last time and isn't an issue after that.

Tom

shit, now its clear when you explain it like im a 2nd grader. i didnt "get it" first time reading it. so in fact i just bought an evo pump for nothing. duh. well the good thing is i can resell it easy enough. or follow what bent said in the first place. it sounds like i can use the evo pump and remove the sheet metal part and swap screens. thanks guys, this has been a stressful day for me. im going to forget about cars for a week and spend a week with my wife. the car will be here when i return. thanks for all your help and advice

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Actually now that I re-read it it sounds like Bent is saying that you can use the m3 unit with the m3 pickup- just remove the trap that is on the bottom of the pickup and use the 02 screen instead. I wonder if that is all that is needed to make the m3 unit fit the 02 pan? If so I'll be doing the same.

I think your right on - take some time with the wife and enjoy the week.

Pete

BTW, the brand of the OE BMW oil pumps is Laso, never Febi.

I throw fits when I'm forced to install a Febi oil pump. Never liked em' never will, can't remember why, maybe something I heard while I was too young to remember. I have been riding in and hanging around '02s since before I was born. :)

Blunt, sorry this had to happen minutes B4 a road trip but at least it didn't happen on the road. The car was just pointing out to you that it wasn't ready to go. I'm sure you'll find some larger problem later that you'll thank this oil pressure problem for preventing the car from going this time. It's happened to me B4.

When you sort out which pump and screen you're going to let us know what worked will ya. And... please only use the OC84 filter in your climes.

Have a safe trip.

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

This whole deal really sucks but is interesting just the same. The last Febi oil pump I installed in an M10 (about 6 months ago) blew off two Mahle OC25 oil filters shortly after startup. I had traded the unfinished motor to a friend and helped him finish it up. We have a small degree of friendly rivalry so he swore I did something wrong during the assembly and gave me a lot of shit about it...Bullshit..the friggin' piston hung up in its bore. We took the oil pump off and inspected it, found nothing wrong, applied a little grease to the relief plunger bore, and put things back together. It's been fine ever since.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

applied a little grease to the relief plunger bore, and put things back together. It's been fine ever since.

That's funny. Today I was talking to Blunt about how crazy i thought that was since they are covered in oil when they are running. However due to your vast experience, I guess I was wrong.

I said to Blunt "If no one was looking, I'd pull the pan, pull the pump and run a dingle berry hone in there and put it all back together. If it was a beater, I'd leave the pump on the motor and do the same cleaning it out with carb cleaner!"

Oh well. Shows what I know.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

BTW, the brand of the OE BMW oil pumps is Laso, never Febi.

I throw fits when I'm forced to install a Febi oil pump. Never liked em' never will, can't remember why, maybe something I heard while I was too young to remember. I have been riding in and hanging around '02s since before I was born. :)

Blunt, sorry this had to happen minutes B4 a road trip but at least it didn't happen on the road. The car was just pointing out to you that it wasn't ready to go. I'm sure you'll find some larger problem later that you'll thank this oil pressure problem for preventing the car from going this time. It's happened to me B4.

When you sort out which pump and screen you're going to let us know what worked will ya. And... please only use the OC84 filter in your climes.

Have a safe trip.

thanks man and yes, i will report back with what i end up doing. i want to use the m3 pick up so ill probably end up modifying my pan but we will see.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Also use the 11 42 1 278 059 oil filter, it's rated to 30 bar burst pressure.

Hope this makes sense, it's 1AM here and I've been staring at too many '02s and S14s the last few nights.

bent, you have an email address i can have? id like to talk to you

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com