• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EMERGENCY need advice

BLUNT

The first time I built my motor I re-used the oil pump. When I got it running and had been driving it for a week it blew the o ring off the oil filter on my friends new concrete driveway.

It was the oil pump psi valve that was just simply worn. It would get caught on a ridge in the bore and cause the high oil psi.

Sucks Steve. Get out there and pull the pan! Someone can red label you another oil pump.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im going to try and drop the pan tomorrow and see what i can see. i believe i have a FEBI oil pump (s14) with a 2002 pick up. i guess i just play with the relief valve and make sure it moves freely? its just hard for me to tear it all apart and then put it back together without some definitive proof of whats wrong. hopefully it will be blatantly obvious when i get the pan down

Listen to these guys with S14 knowledge first and try the easy stuff.

On an M10, if this pic works...

33.png

That little piston #8 might get stuck up inside its tube. If you were to remove that spring and stuff behind it, it should slide right out without much coaching. Perhaps a mechanics magnet would help you slide it right out. If a magnet won't pull it, then its probably stuck.

But, again, thats for an M10.

If you get it running and on the road, I'm tempted to make a quick trip to Jackson, OH and wave as you go past. My cell number is still (808)393-9268 if you need anything near my neck of the woods (coming from Athens, OH).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

thanks guys, i went back in my records and i am running a febi m10 pump part number 11 41 1 269 549 . ive called everywhere in town to try and get an s14 pump but nobody has one. i havent given up yet and ill be there with or without the car, but i hope to get it running somehow

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

According to archives, new Febi pumps have been notorious for the relief valve sticking... shooting off the oil filter.. and possibly causing much damage to an engine....

But, if I remember right, thats only been known to happen on the first startup, not after 600 miles...

My theory to explain that, was that the pump design switched from using a fixed snout to one with a long tube that can be easily bumped while installing the oil pan. Bumping it, without much oil on that piston yet, it can lodge that piston up inside. Thats what I figured out after playing with my new one, but I dunno... just a guess of course.

Still yeah, it shoulda got lubed plenty in the first 600 miles....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Is it new?

John

yes the pump was new. im hesitant to take it apart and try to dislodge this one. if im taking it apart i want to put an oe pump in it after reading what kfunk found out. i seem to recall reading that too a couple years ago and wondering if i did the right thing going with the febi

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I really don't think there's another option for an M10 pump. If you get OEM, its gonna be the Febi as well...

I didn't really want to put one in my tired old motor, but couldn't find anything else.

Bring a Welder

I really don't think there's another option for an M10 pump. If you get OEM, its gonna be the Febi as well...

I didn't really want to put one in my tired old motor, but couldn't find anything else.

im thinking of getting the s14 pump 11 41 1 286 493 and using the m10 pickup.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

check this out... heres my theory, maybe this has been leading up to this failure ever since i opened the pan up to fix the leak 2 weeks ago. i was running 10/40 dino oil until last night when i went to 15/50 mobil1. perhaps the pressure relief got bumped when i was changing the pan gasket and excessive pressure has been deforming my oil cooler for 2 weeks and the thicker 15/50 was the straw that broke the camels back. however i wasnt seeing excessive oil pressure at the gauge and i have a 150psi gauge. but look at how deformed this cooler is. that couldnt happen in 5 seconds of running time last night after the oil change. any thoughts????

look at the areas ive circled. see the distorted passages???

trapazoid002-1.jpg

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I think that could happen in 5 seconds. And I think the s14 pump and the m10 are the same internally. This has been discussed as the reason that the updated m10 pump requires the washer behind the sprocket- because the s14 sprocket is thicker. So if you can source the m10 pump or have one around you might be able to get it together in time.

Good luck- I've been checking this topic all day- even went out and got my s14 filter head out of a box and took it apart to see if I could figure out how this would happen.

Maybe this will not help, my actual white 02 blowed 2 times the oil filter seal.

Problem: bad oil pump

Cause: didnt let the engine heat-up enough before revving it.

Cure: dont rev my 02 above 2krpm until the engine is hot.

did you revved yours ?

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I've got a new still in the box Febi S14 pump in Nashville. If you need it, I can get it on it's way tomorrow first thing.

And yes, 15W50 Mobil 1 is what most of the non-racer M3 guys are running, year-round,although there is growing concern about the reduced zinc content and a recent spate of ruined cams all over the country...

Call me at the office and leave a message if you need it - 615 742-7445

David

Maybe this will not help, my actual white 02 blowed 2 times the oil filter seal.

Problem: bad oil pump

Cause: didnt let the engine heat-up enough before revving it.

Cure: dont rev my 02 above 2krpm until the engine is hot.

did you revved yours ?

thanks pat, no. it was idling. never touched the gas. 3 seconds and bam

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

is the filter remote located or bolted to the block as in 2002's?

any chance of a downstream from the filter blockage?

filters remotely located. anythings possible but i had oil draining from both filter hoses when dismantled last night with veins bulging from my forehead

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com