• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Basic metal fab info

another exceptional 'how-to' post. this one's being pasted into Word, edited, printed and stored with your other great posts on Shock Tower repair, Pig Cheek Fabrication and Sun Roof Transplant.

These posts are truely FAQ-Section worthy

thanks for sharing...

gonna need a bigger binder

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Matt,

Thanks for the great post(s). They're very informative/educational. But you left off THE most important critical tool/factor - a metalsmith, master-craftsman such as yourself. What you're doing is more than engineering, it's art. The skills/experience should never be underestimated.

I've seen many examples of what you can do with custom and restored sheetmetal, and your intimate knowledge of the 02, and it's awesome. (Wish I lived nearby).

Kudos,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Yep, I thought about something like that.

This kind of posts are very much appreciated. Especially to see what can be done without expensive special tools. And a picture tells more always.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Thanks for the compliments, but dont underestimate the value of just getting some tin and some basic tools and doing some work. I had a fairly good teacher on this stuff, but most of what I learned was through practice. Sometimes the hardest part is breaking free of the inertia of life and getting to work!

I am not really one of those people to whom this stuff comes naturally...its all practice, and I never knew I could or could not make a pig cheek until I actually tried it!

DSC02153.sized.jpg

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

Matt,

Looks like you are fixing quite a rusty car there (along with making custom hood/front?)

Anyway, I am going to check out a Lotus Cortina on the 17th that I think is quite rusty, but without engine and trans, I think I can buy it for under $1000, which is very tempting to me.

Anyway, I may seek some rustoration advice from you with pics once I see it, find out if it is doable.

Do you custom make replacement metal for areas that you cut out, rather than buy replacement sheet metal?

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

Great post Matt!!! Like you indicated, its all practice, just get out and try it. Now, lets see a "how to make a pig cheek" thread :). hahahaha.

In all seriousness though, any books or sites you would recommend for more advanced metalfab work? I lurk on places like metalshapers.com, but unfortunately I can't find anyone local to help me out... I learnt most of my metal/body/paint "skills" (and I use that term loosely) from simply watching a pro do his thing..

Matt

One of the best posts ever!

I've been wanting to get my hands dirty doing bodywork ever since I helped out with my '02's restoration back in '92 (I only did some sanding and spot weld removal back then). Can't do it in the house I currently live at, though. The neighbors would have me killed.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I've learned a great deal at www.metalmeet.com/forum/index.php. In addition to great on-line expertise, they have regional and national MetalMeet events, where you can go and either learn the basics or bring along a more advanced project. I went to a meet last year (www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6970&page=3) and learned to shrink metal by hand, and made 1/4 of a basketball out of 18 ga sheet metal. While not impressive in and of itself, I did learn to tuck shrink sheetmetal and how to use an english wheel, and am now using my rudimentary skills on my 2002. Not bad for free, and I made a bunch of new friends!

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I lurk a lot on metal meet, obviously even though the canvas on which a lot of the work is done is different, the techniques for metal shaping are the same!

P1010159.sized.jpg

P1010158.sized.jpg

P1010163.sized.jpg

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

post step nose...(when its done, this car is a GIGANTIC amount of work) but its pretty low...

JB_and_car.sized.jpg

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911