• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Mae West" Update. And me, too!

Delia

After an excruciatingly painful weekend not sleeping because of shoulder pain, I called the doctor on Monday to get checked out.

The doctor kinda freaked out thinking I had some serious internal injury. He took an EKG and was further alarmed. So, sent me for a CT scan with color dye. If there were internal injuries, it meant emergency surgery.

By the time I got to the radiology dept at Davies, I was freaking out, too! Then there's the expense. A CT scan with color dye is about $4,000.00 or so.

...and they don't even touch up my roots!

:)

I get the scan, and yeah, sure it's FUN and everything. The tech is efficient and professional. Never even flinched when I said, "We've got to stop meeting like this."

(I make jokes when I'm nervous. That's not true, I make jokes all the time. I like to crack myself up!)

The scan turns out to be negative, and my organs are all still attached and my back isn't broken. The doctor gives me a prescription for anti-inflamatories (to counteract the pro-inflamatories, I presume), and I get to go home. Technically, I don't have a home, so I go to my friend's house, where I "reside."

I count my blessings and my lucky stars, then take my meds and ponder the "might-have-beens."

Meanwhile, AAA has given up on the notion the offending driver has a nickel's worth of insurance. I have $25,000. in medical coverage that I've just put a huge dent in (pun intended, so of) and, because I didn't have collision coverage, $3,500 to fix my car. That's about enough to get the back end pulled out and painted. I've got a few parts laying around to fix the tag lights (currently blowing fuses) and I think I can come up with the rear bumper shocks and rear accordian ends. The RR tail light needs a bit of gluing (screw post snapped off). Not sure if I can pull out the rear bumper shocks or if I need to get new. Not sure about availability.

I'm going to pick up a pair of clean doors this weekend. I'm going to see if I can get them painted for a minimal charge and transfer the guts from Mae's doors. I've got some door spares in my stash and at least I'll get the glass adjusted.

I'm at a point where I need to pull the glass and tend to the rust around the windscreen frames, but I mean, where do I stop? There's is so much, "while you're in there," I'm wondering where to draw the line.

I'm working part-time right now, and thinking about an extended repair/restoration project with down-time isn't practical in the foreseeable future.

So, for now, I'm collecting parts.

Anybody wanna buy some mudflaps? I've got a pair here. NOS, too!

$20,000.00

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Im sure Im not going to be the first to say it but thank god you are alright! I read this post with an ever growing feeling of worry and dread... its great to hear you're just had some really expensive play time with the docs and nothing more ;)

As for Mae West... well, if I were you I'd see it as a good chance to spend some quality time getting to know her again.

We are all thankful that you are on the mend and not seriously injured. The boob who hit you should serve jail time for not carrying proper insurance coverage. Last time our car was hit, the bonehead did have insurance, but a very bad driving record along w/it. Good luck on setting everything right!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

with what looked to be an undamaged pair of shocks on a clean Inka square-light at the SoSac P&P as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Let me know if you need the shocks - if so, I'll stop in and see if they're still there......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Glad you're not seriously injured...

I have a complete rear bumper minus accordians if you want it.

Do you have the shocks, too? That would be great!!!

Thanks, everyone for your concern and help, on and off-board.

You guys are the BEST!!!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Do you have the shocks, too? That would be great!!!

Yes, just need to take it off. I have the whole rear end too if you want it. Doesn't seem to have ever been in an accident either.

Might be easier than bumping out/filling the current, messed-up rear panel. If I can have it, I might be able to get a little more work out of the bodyshop guys...

Send me your phone number offline, OK? Might be able to arrange picking it up this weekend.

Thanks,

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

OMG glad youre okay. your email box was full. so email me...u know where

I'm still looking for stuff for Blubird

all shenanigans aside..I'm really happy youre okay

Lori

ps u know my mudflap obsession. let me know.

I went and bought that break light from Whitney. Its bigger than the 02 lol

Delia,

I am glad you checked out OK. Thats the most important thing. Do you think Mae West will be able to make it to the famous meet we have on the 17th of May up North? That would be nice. I know you'll be bringing some goodies like last year.

Good luck with everything

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

beginning the road to recovery. Wish I was closer than Ohio to be able to help scrounge parts, removed damaged bits etc. Lemme know what I can do to help....

Still have fond memories of the Montezuma Road!

Now you take it easy till your back feels better. Don't push it--I hurt my back at work several years ago and pushed it trying to return to work too quickly (was I crazy?) and ended up spending three weeks flat of said back.

cheers & blessings

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Really glad you're feeling better, Delia!

I know you'll keep us posted on Mae's recovery as well. Wish I had some squaretail parts to give you--so many folks here were overly generous in supplying parts to help me get the Orange Car back together when I was rear-ended.

Take it easy! Don't go picking up bumpers too soon...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Delia,

Thanks for updating us. I hadn't seen anything since you 1st posted the accident and have been wondering how you and Mae were doing. I'm glad to hear that all body parts are intact and recovery will occur when you relax your muscles a bit. Tension after an accident seems to be one of the worst culprits for pain as your muscles are all askew from the sudden jolt & then your nerves seem to tighten it all up and make you a total mess.

I'm equally pleased to hear that the news of Mae's demise was premature. We need to keep as many of these classic gems on the road as possible.

As Mike said, it is a shame that we are miles apart as I would like to help you get Mae back on the road as well. At least you have Julius to drive about.

Now the little bit I've gathered on the board, I'm curious about your cross country drive to CA. What took you there? Are you a writer in search of another locale for inspiration? If its none of my business, I am man enough to hear you say that and leave it alone. : )

Cheers,

Doug - Always curious about what makes people tick...

'73 tii Atlantik

Glad it's only a flesh wound! Seriously though. If I had any square light bits - they'd be in the mail tomorrow. here's a suggestion - from experience - if you were rear-ended badly enough to wrinkle panels and suffer aches and pains - throw in another differential soon. Mine "coincidentally" self destructed 3 days after a similar event. You'd think all the small and thinner parts would blow apart first (center bearing, axle/CV/diff mount....) - but I'm just sayin' is all.....

Here's to a speedy recovery for you both! (beer raised to eye level)

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com