• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major House Fire....just heartbreaking

02fanatic

Hey Everyone:

Sad to post some sad news....on the night of Jan 8th, our smoke alarms woke me up to a smoke filled house....Thank God, my wife, myself and our Bassett Hound "Bailey" got out in time. It was close...I had smoke filled lungs and a burnt finger, but that was the only injuries...other than our broken hearts.

Fortunately we managed to save all of the cehicles, including the "detached garage" with Hugo, et all. A real testimony to a detached garage! :-)

We've had much to do obviously, and we are staying with our son until we can find an apartment or somewhere to live. I've had no clothes to wear that fit me for two days, and about 10 hours total of sleep, but otherwise I'm holding up, as are Judy & Bailey.

The basement was a total loss...I had about $10,000 to $15,000 worth of tii and '02, & M5 parts down there...oh well, so much for my "hording" habits!

But, we are alive so that's all that really counts...at my age & health, this will be tough to handle, but with prayers and help from our wonderful friends & family, we will remain strong and make it through, God willing.

I consider you all like family, so I just wanted to share.

I have limitedimternet acess, so I may not be checking in very often, but I've missed my routine of being on the Board.

Take care everyone, and keep new batteries in those smoke alarms! Better yet, have a fire alarm installed with direct connection to the Fire Station.

Blessings to all,

John, Judy & Bailey

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John our prayers from CT go out to you. Glad you are okay-

Matt McGinn

Sports Car Restoration

www.sports-car-restoration.com

1974 2002 turbo 4290909, resto project, looking for parts

89 M50'd e30

72 Alfa GT Veloce

84 M491 911

68 1600 channeled and flared project

70 2002 flared car project

john it's a terrible loss for the parts, but like you said the most important pieces were saved...your lives.

truly are prayers are with you and your family!

even though i'm in pittsburgh, if there is anything that we can help you with please let me know.

all the best,

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

that is some terrible news John... My heart goes out to you guys... It has to be extremely emotionally devastating... Thank God for smoke alarms and that everybody is safe! I"ll keep in mind this terrible event, if you ever need any of the parts you lost and I have it in my stash, just holler...

Michael

FAQ Member # 91

John,

I am so sorry to hear this. Being of the same generation as you and both of us owning a 73 tii Atlantik, I've felt like we are kindred spirits. I wish I was close by to help out. Although I'm far away, let me know if there is anything I could do to help. Thank God that everyone is alive & well.

In the meantime I'll pray that God gives you peace about all of this, a clear mind to sort through the details, and wisdom to make all the right decisions.

Take care buddy,

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

Hey Everyone:

Sad to post some sad news....on the night of Jan 8th, our smoke alarms woke me up to a smoke filled house....Thank God, my wife, myself and our Bassett Hound "Bailey" got out in time. It was close...I had smoke filled lungs and a burnt finger, but that was the only injuries...other than our broken hearts.

Fortunately we managed to save all of the cehicles, including the "detached garage" with Hugo, et all. A real testimony to a detached garage! :-)

We've had much to do obviously, and we are staying with our son until we can find an apartment or somewhere to live. I've had no clothes to wear that fit me for two days, and about 10 hours total of sleep, but otherwise I'm holding up, as are Judy & Bailey.

The basement was a total loss...I had about $10,000 to $15,000 worth of tii and '02, & M5 parts down there...oh well, so much for my "hording" habits!

But, we are alive so that's all that really counts...at my age & health, this will be tough to handle, but with prayers and help from our wonderful friends & family, we will remain strong and make it through, God willing.

I consider you all like family, so I just wanted to share.

I have limitedimternet acess, so I may not be checking in very often, but I've missed my routine of being on the Board.

Take care everyone, and keep new batteries in those smoke alarms! Better yet, have a fire alarm installed with direct connection to the Fire Station.

Blessings to all,

John, Judy & Bailey

Thankfully you are all OK! Best of luck with the ins. co. Did you have pics of all the parts? ;)

Glad you and your family are doing decent considering.

Best of luck with the rebuild or new home in the near future.

Lawyer& Independent Adjusters that understand the insur.game/& companies can turn this into a blessing in disguise.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Happy to hear that everyone is safe. Will pray for you and family for strength and perseverance. Also hope that your insurance will cover the damages.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Horrible news! Your lives are the most important and we are thankful that you made it out alive. Everything else can be replaced, or you may find that some things weren't so important.

I will replace our batteries tonight.

Thank you for sharing and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!