• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost of Resto if pro's do it

pkelly1us

I have a 72 that I have posted pics of a month or so ago and had a quick question. If I sent my tii out to a place like Korman, what is an estimated cost.

Needs new rockers

rear shock tower (drivers side)

Door repairs rusted on bottom

New floor boards

Sunroof has rust issues.. It wont open currently

Engine hasn't run in ten but it drover into the storage unit so I would assume that wouldn't be too much to get it going.

In general when someone sends one in for a resto what does it cost? I currently have $9500 but will probably have another 5k in the next month to put into it. Does that even come close? Or should I start doing the work on my own with the help of some friends?

Thanks,

Resto costs are hard to estimate as a rusty car is like a basket of crab, or Pandora's box.

Korman is not necessarely the most efficient way to have the job done. Ask Matt at Sportscar Restoration. They specialize in 2002s. They can give you a serious ballpark. But it will never be a definite quote. there are always surprises.

But have thought about buying a sheel in better shape? One that doesn't require restoration except perhaps for a complete paint stripping? That's only fro $0 to $1000 for a great Arizona roller. Have it shipped to Matt and wait for his magic...

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

That's kinda a open ended question look at Martins site 2002Tii-restoration.org and you can see how deep into it you can go, I hate to think of the shop cost of what what he's done to raise his car to the level it's at. Find a shop you like and discuss what you would like, in what time frame, and how much you'll want to spend and go from there.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Needs :

new rockers

rear shock tower (drivers side)

Door repairs rusted on bottom

New floor boards

Sunroof has rust issues.. It wont open currently

Engine hasn't run in ten YEARS

I would assume ( don't! - assume it's toast for estimates)

that wouldn't be too much to get it going.

= ESTIMATE $16,000 ...$ 28,000

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Or should I start doing the work on my own with the help of some friends?

Sometimes doing the work yourself is more harm than good.

CD is in a ball park with the estimate, however a lot depends on the level of resto you want, concourse vs nice driver. 10k should buy a decent driver and maybe you can salvage parts off your car and sell them.

PM me I'm in Balto too.

'73 2002 Electromotive TEC II and TWM 45mm ITB's, 9.5:1 + 292 regrind cam

I think c.d.'s estimate is good but is based on certain assumptions, such as how 'good' the restoration is and how much of the car is involved, e.g. mechanical, body, paint, interior, etc. I figure $20k-$100k depending on what you want and who does it. Yeah, $100k seems ridiculous, but it's been done. It's good you are thinking about this. Make a very detailed list of what you want and what it costs before you start a project like this.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Guest Anonymous

I did a LOW end estimate for the work listed, having paid to get most of the body/motor resto work done on my car, including a full paint job, and I came up with $13K-$15K. What this doesn't include is the unseen, lurking rust/rot that is absolutely there and WILL be exposed after the work is started, and the other upgrades that you will get sucked into doing. In retrospect, I should have paid the $10K for a closely-inspected, clean car. Although there is much satisfaction gained from rescuing a 2002 from a near death experience. Good luck.

Roger

BMWCCA 310877

1972 2002 VIN 2575613

1992 525i, daily driver

1982 320i, traded

1973 tii, sadly traded

1971 1600, traded

Sorry to say it but Cd is right. Since I am going to school for restoration thats about the right price. I know It may seem hight but I know of a shop that put around 225,000 into a Karmann Gia.

73 colorado orange 2002 in restoration

owned for 30years

71 2002 gone to parts heaven

72 2002 Malaga Sisters

05 Mini S Moms

FAQ member # 31

My two cents:

Let the pro's do it........when it comes to restoration it boils down to whether you want to follow the rules or do you want to modify and update. If you want to do a stock restoration or updated, I strongly recommend you talk with Matt McGinn @ Sports Car Restoration. The talent of the people that work in his shop is second to none. Their rust repair skills can not be compared and the cars they are working on are all very important and interesting cars. Turbos, Cabriolet's, etc etc.

I am a check book owner and have contracted them to built my M2. I couldn't be happier with the quality of work and value they offer. I feel I am getting my money's worth and the attention to detail is extremely high. For example, custom fabrication of an oil pan extension so that I can pick up 3 additional qts of oil....this section of the pan will have baffles and windage aids.....this was done from scratch.......simply amazing. We have used only the best of the best available parts, like Lee's Massive Brakes converstion and the list goes on.

Since you are an East Coast Guy I would strongly suggest you talk with Matt or take a drive up. Baltimore is about a six hour drive.

Good luck,

Paul

1973 2002 M2 - sold and in Florida

1967 Porsche 911S vintage race car "Ugly Duck" - Sold and staying in Denver

1972 BMW 2002 FIA Gp 2 Replica

Thanks everyone. Was laid off and given a nice severance check to go along with the money I had saved for the car to begin with. Just accepted a new job so I can move forward with the car.

I could spend the money on a nice tii and keep the one I have for parts, but there is something really appealing about restoring the car. Maybe just get the body done and do the rest myself.

Keep in mind I don't want a concourse queen. I want something to drive on weekends and autox's. I have a company car for everyday driving.

Always dreamed of having a fun 2002 with motorsport/alcantara refinished e21 recaros in it, along with some nice bbs 3 peice wheels.. In Inca orange.. Thats the dream car. Just don't know the best way to go about it.

Maybe just get the body done and do the rest myself.

From my very limited view I think the above quote is your best option. The 2002 and even the tii is a great car to learn on. I'm mentioning this because I'm not a subscriber to the "kugelfisher = Magic" theories... It is a relatively simple mechanical system.

Couple of things to consider... Are you somewhat mechanical? Do you have a garage? Do you have the required tools or the $$ to purchase them?...

Regarding the bodywork, I would easily recommend either Mike Hannigan here in Baltimore and of course Matt "Hardcore" McGinn up in Ct. Take a look at Bill Williams Pikachu 2 or Paul Wegweisers Emily for examples of their work. Both of them are beautiful...

Good luck and feel free to contact me for help anytime.

Casey

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)