• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New project...1968 '02...with pig-cheek flared goodness!

it's been passed around a bit over the last couple years. justin here in town had it for 2 years and now i'm going to make it my 4th 2002 project.

i know the owner who had it prior to justin. it sat for years in his yard, but at one time he used to drive it. the records i have show he purchased it in '95. it runs, but the engine is pulled out of the bay at the moment.

the VIN is 1662028, so a fairly early '02. no idea who did the flares or when they were put on.

the good bits of kit:

-8 x 13" BWA sport stars (YUM!) on slightly used Yoko advans

-pig cheek flares in decent shape

-nifty vintage race seat

-two tone fabric/vinyl stock passenger and rear seat, although they have headrests so probably not the original seats.

-wink mirror in need of a few pieces of glass

-red centered roundies

-super stiff springs with metal suspension bushings

-BWA sport steering wheel

still has the long neck diff and old u-joints. the u-joints are shot, not sure how bad the diff is. i've got a rear subframe, diff and drive shaft from a '76 that i'll swap in when the time comes.

overall it's fairly solid. there is the normal rot in the rear rockers and the joins where the rear flares meet metal is rusting. no idea how bad it is just yet. i really want to save this one. i've had dibs on it ever since i told justin about it in '05.

i'm sure i'll get around to tearing into it sometime in '08.

post-156-13667581321192_thumb.jpg

post-156-1366758132271_thumb.jpg

post-156-13667581323959_thumb.jpg

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Nice Project car! Should fly without all that extra weight found on the later cars!

A 1968 2002 should have headrests. A 1967 1600-2 wouldn't.

That fabric/vinyl interior may possibly be original.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

congrats on the new buggy!!

when you are done w/that baby she's gonna be more potent than uber is!!

i THINK that front seat is the old porsche style one piece ones. i really like that look (drivers seat that's a race seat & the pass seat is the original.)

good luck w/it man!!

dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

Yay. You've been lusting over that car for years - good things come to those... Having ridden in it and assisting with the motor pull, it should be a fab ride. The motor Justin pulled out of that car is a keeper. It's the smoothest idling 2 liter I've ever heard. The solid bushings in the suspension do some dental damage, and my skinny butt wouldn't really fit in that seat - I'm guessing yours is, uh, challenging :) Viel Glueck!

BTW, I'm still trying to make a Wed evening escape to give you those parts. One of these days...

We picked up a new M42 powered ride this weekend (photo below). Wanna buy a 535is?

post-274-13667581329269_thumb.jpg

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Funkadelic!

I had forgotten how cool that car looked!

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

and my skinny butt wouldn't really fit in that seat - I'm guessing yours is, uh, challenging :) Viel Glueck!

BTW, I'm still trying to make a Wed evening escape to give you those parts. One of these days...

We picked up a new M42 powered ride this weekend (photo below). Wanna buy a 535is?

yeah, i doubt that i will keep that seat in there. i'll probably go looking for another flo-fit to recover.

aaron told me you found an E30 cabrio...looks just like rachel's!

we'll be at lud's wednesday if you can make the long haul across the street.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Way to go mr. brad.

I'd say those seats are out of a later car, my 68, VIN 1661250 has headrest-less seats, the old wide back variety that almost touch in the middle.

Console also looks like it came out of a later car, Dash looks original, notice the lack of ribs on the "shelf" area. I'd assume that the old style brakes have been upgraded by now, but you might add them to your list, along with a rear exhaust hanger :) -- Keep us posted!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

aaron told me you found an E30 cabrio...looks just like rachel's!

we'll be at lud's wednesday if you can make the long haul across the street.

Geez, there are no secrets in this town. It looks like it's my destiny to drive dark-green 4-pots with bottlecaps. The last one was turned into a cabrio as well (see photo below).

To keep this post on topic, did you get Justin's M10 homebrew turbo to go with the flared goodness? Wasn't that car the designated recipient for that motor?

post-274-13667581338626_thumb.jpg

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

i told him to keep the turbo bits. i'm no guru and i don't need to be messing with megasquirt and all that. he was going to turbo it and still has the manifold and turbo, but no work was done to the engine, so it's just sitting in his garage until i need it. the gray ghost's engine will probably get my weber 40/40 that is on Uber right now, if that lynx manifold group buy goes through for real this time.

i did buy the sumitomo htr 200s 215/50 13s that he bought...still new with stickers on them. they are going on my mag wheels from my other post (thanks to mike and humberto for those wheels, by the way!) to be fitted under the turbo flares i'm installing on the red car this week.

thanks for the input, ben. i based my statement about the seats on your car, as a matter of fact. i definitely recall yours not having headrests. the center console was probably retrofitted some time ago when one of the POs decided they needed A/C. it's a nice A/C console, not in bad shape. again, it probably won't stay in there. some of the A/C equipment was in place, but none of it worked.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)