• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very rare BMW 16V DOHC head for M10 block

Guest Anonymous

If you were honest about it. You'll find everyone here saying buy it. But what are you going to do with it?? I mean it's cool to look at but eventually you'd like to use it. I'm sure some vintage racer will pay you for it. The kfish parts are custom and you hope that the pump is good. You'll need custom made gears for the crank and the intermediate to mesh with the cam. (why I say custom is that anyone who has these gears around is using them) The bearings and studs alike for said gears. If your car is LHD getting the exhaust past and not cooking the steering box is going to be fun. Throw in a case of I hope the valves and seats are perfect because that stuff is custom as well. It's a nice piece of vintage history. It's also a white elephant. There are probably 5 people in the US that have the capability of utilizing that head and the budget to pay for it. Buy it to flip or buy it to install knowing it will cost you 3x the price of the head to get it running.

I would buy it.

Then I would start looking

for one of the cars that run

that engine...

it's a disease...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Or buy it and find a someone who needs it for their car!

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

$1500??? And in tip top shape it's worth $35,000??!! This is in all likelihood a once in a lifetime opportunity....if you don't buy it and sell it for a big profit (or use it yourself) you will forever regret it. Do it man, do it!

Guest Anonymous

That is $35k plus or minus for a complete, fresh motor. I can assure you that you would have to put a pile of $$ into the head (new valves, guides, probably repair the seats and or replace them, etc.,) +$5k for sure.....then there is the bottom end .......$$$$$

Guest Anonymous

Save your blowby for someone who cares..... he should buy it and sit on it or fry eggs on it or prop wrenches on it for that matter, who cares if some rich bastard that has the money can buy it from him and run it.

Practical? No way..... shut up and tell him to buy it like all the other smart people here. The absolute wrong and stupid thing to do would be to buy it, turn it over and sell it, and not have the awesome hope of ever hearing that thing run (even if it never happens) get it?????

nuff said

now be quiet and stop trying to stifle someone elses dream just because you can't have it!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Then why don't you pony up the money and get him the rest of the parts to make it work. Just go down to the local dealer and buy some unobtanium. Because that's what most the shit in that head is made out of. It's a unique widget that's going to literally require thousands to get working. $1500 is just to get in the door. Stateside it will cost $700-1500 just for a custom header that works around the steering box. He can sit on it for years but the probability of finding a bottom end of a m12 is about as rare. Either it's a spare. Or the bottom end scattered. I think $1500 is a sweet deal if you can use it but there's a reason the guy who owns it now is selling it instead of installing it on an engine. Using and staring are two different things. You'll also need a 4v pent roof set of pistons to go with it and rods to handle it assuming you don't happen to find a m12 sitting without a head. Those come up forsale all the time. There's a guy on race-cars.com with a schnitzer 20v with tons of spares and he can't get 20k for it assembled and with spares. Why don't you ask the guy who's doing the schnitzer car restoration about what his bill is so far? multiple thousands and I don't think it's on the ground yet. All I was saying is that buy it if you want to spend thousands getting it working. Or flip it and make a profit. If you can't or won't do either then it's going to sit on a shelf for years collecting dust. there's always the option of opening up the BMW parts museum.

Guest Anonymous

I hadn't posted too much on this site for a long time...and now I know why-misinformed freaking idiots like you. I consider myself to be fairly well informed about BMW racing motors and was just passing on some info so whoever the guy is could make an informed decision. Not a everyone has $1500 to throw around- while not a lot of money its all relative to your situation. I think I suggested to him that he would be wise to purchase it .....

feel free to check out my website and maybe learn something - fool

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=74fuely

And thanks again for reminding me not to visit this site any more!

Guest Anonymous

I was so pissed after reading the jag-off's email above that I password locked my entire website....and so it will be at least for a while.

I was so pissed after reading the jag-off's email above that I password locked my entire website....and so it will be at least for a while.

I checked it out -- pretty sweet !

that whole car is a work of art

As for dickheads every road has them .. you can road rage em or just let them go on their way and ignore em ..

all the best and again -- nice car

-Zachary

Hello again guys,

Thanks for all... today I bought the head. I know that will be in my garage for a long time, but $1500 was a good deal and very good acquisition. I will look the parts that need with patience, or simply I will sell it if I do not decide to use it.

According to the vintage championship policies in my country, is not possible to change the camshafts and valves quantities of factory, I can make many modifications, but just with the M10 block and the the factory head, I can't install this head for racing purposes in the 2002…:(

Maybe buy a E21, and I install the head, or place an auction in ebay.

I'm agree with Mark, and congratulations!!, your Schnitzer has very good work… please Mark send me your email, you is very knowledgeable.

Thanks to Daniel too, he explained me the properties of injection and the head.

I will take some better pics for share ..... and excuse for my english

Gracias