• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

really need your help RIGHT NOW (buying a 2002 in one hour)

maystar

Yes, there are a lot of CA cars.

But most of them are 8 hours away from where I live.

Even the ones that are 2 hours away are difficult for me, because I don't really have another car to drive to go look at them. The car I can sometimes use to look at them costs $90 round trip in gas. If I were to look at just 10 cars that were 2 hours away it would cost me like $1,000 in gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it almost seems better just to buy an over-priced bad one.

I'm really thinking about buying this over-priced bad one. Just because I have been watching craigslist for about a year now. Trying to buy one out of state, no one ever responds. The 8 hour away CA cars are gone before I get to even set up an appointment, and even then, no one wants to sell to someone so far away.

All I want is a car

:(

Just someone tell me, does the 1971 have cancer for sure?

Where else should I look for rust?

Comon... don't make yourself regret this. If you're asking how to fix things like turn signals and lights I'm going to assume you're not about to jump in and weld in a new floor pan. I'd look at 2002AD for a used car, also look on here... These things take time and if you want a car you can drive and enjoy just force yourself to have some self control and save another $2K because for $6K you can find yourself a SWEET daily driver or whatever you want... it'll be no $20K show car but really do you need one?

I have a feeling you're going to get yourself going down a road that you don't want to go down... Just trying to help a brother out...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do, don't just buy for the sake of buying. I learned the hard way when I bought my e30. I got real excited and looked past all the problems because I just wanted that car. I payed $4500 for a piece of shit that had every thing in the book wrong with it.

Even if you don't know much about 02's, play it off like you do, intimidate the guy. Look at EVERYTHING. tell him you plan to do a restore on the car, and in order to turn any sort of profit, you can't pay 4500 for it. Like others said, literally write out a list of the stuff wrong with it, and the price to fix them, then what the car in MINT condition is worth, the price of the car and repairs WILL NOT be realistic to the resale price of the car.

Also, go with all of the money, but put like $500 or $1000 in an envelope and say "I have this in hand RIGHT now, take it or leave it." you won't beleive what the power of money does when it is right in front of your face. Leave the rest of the money in your car, or pocket or something. That way if you reach a deal, you still have more money.

if you have $5000 to play around with, you can find so much more especially in CA. Find a car for 3500-4000 and have it shipped worse case scenario. Im sure you can find someone to take a look at the car for you. Or, buy from these forums, I am still a newb, but I would already trust buying a car from one of these people.

I know all of our opinions are probably disappointing you, I have been there too. But if you wait, in another week, month, or whatever you can be driving around in a beauty and telling yourself "I am sure glad I didnt buy that car" and chances are that car will still be sitting in that guys garage becuase he isn't realistic.

1976 White 2002

Whatever you do, don't just buy for the sake of buying. I learned the hard way when I bought my e30. I got real excited and looked past all the problems because I just wanted that car. I payed $4500 for a piece of shit that had every thing in the book wrong with it.

Even if you don't know much about 02's, play it off like you do, intimidate the guy. Look at EVERYTHING. tell him you plan to do a restore on the car, and in order to turn any sort of profit, you can't pay 4500 for it. Like others said, literally write out a list of the stuff wrong with it, and the price to fix them, then what the car in MINT condition is worth, the price of the car and repairs WILL NOT be realistic to the resale price of the car.

Also, go with all of the money, but put like $500 or $1000 in an envelope and say "I have this in hand RIGHT now, take it or leave it." you won't beleive what the power of money does when it is right in front of your face. Leave the rest of the money in your car, or pocket or something. That way if you reach a deal, you still have more money.

if you have $5000 to play around with, you can find so much more especially in CA. Find a car for 3500-4000 and have it shipped worse case scenario. Im sure you can find someone to take a look at the car for you. Or, buy from these forums, I am still a newb, but I would already trust buying a car from one of these people.

I know all of our opinions are probably disappointing you, I have been there too. But if you wait, in another week, month, or whatever you can be driving around in a beauty and telling yourself "I am sure glad I didnt buy that car" and chances are that car will still be sitting in that guys garage becuase he isn't realistic.

1976 White 2002

im not an expert and fairly new to 02's. if you dont make much $ and you dont work on your own car, then why would you spend 4-5K on a car that needs sooooo much work? i know the 02's are cool, but...dont be stupid. if you need a bmw, but an e30...they are usually reliable, rust free, and 4-5k would buy you a nice ride. if you just need an 02, buy one and have it shipped to your house. there are lots of cool, honest people out there that would help you. find a 3k dollar car and spend 1k to ship...same price, doors open, good paint, lights work, oil changed, and someone to look at rust for you...but then again i would say if you cant work on your own car and dont make $ to have someone fix it(and it will get $$), then the 02 is not for you. jusnt my 02 cents worth.

Ryan

Maystar: you are getting very good advice here. "RIGHT NOW" concerns us all. That's no way to buy a car, even if it's a really good one. Find yourself a better car. (& take your time) Unless you like to overhaul engines, weld, do bodywork, etc. you are getting into a $$$$$$ mess with this beater. Lurk here and other places to LEARN about these cars. Buddy up with an '02 expert and they will glady get you educated and into a nice car at a reasonable price. You will sorry if you buy this sad car.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

it sounds like you've fallen in love with the car..and you're aware of what's said about love....IT'S BLIND..

you're spending all you energy here trying to convince us that you're doing the right thing....that's not necessary...just go buy it then deal with it....one thing's for sure, you'll learn an valuable lesson....or should i say... an expensive lesson

I would run as fast as I could from that car. I got my 02 for around $2300 it has a near perfect paint job perfect seats, 2 crack dash strong engine very very little rust. I do have to replace the floor pans however. I have done most of my own work and I didn't know what a gasket was a year ago. With that said and I thought I was buying a very good car these are the things I have replaced or done most were really needed by the way. Ok I didn't need the fog lamps,powder coated valve cover or the membership but most had to be done. All things that can easily be overlooked. Listen to these guys they will not steer you wrong

Fuel pump,Starter,Battery,Hoses,PCV valve,Battery Brace,Accelerator pedal,Fuses,Bulbs,Pertonix,Red Coil,Exhaust resonator and muffler,Plugs,8mm Wires,Fog Lamps,Battery cables,Nardi Steering Wheel

Valve Cover,Tools various; top side oil changer,

Manifold Heat Shield,Shifter Insulation,Dome Light,Headlight Covers,Hood Wind Resistors,Fog lamp Brackets,Tires,14” Wheels,Euro Lights,Wiper Switch,Classic BMW car membership,Center Caps for Wheels,Brake shoes and pads,Wheel bearings front and rear,Bushings complete rear,Bushings complete front

Shift boot

do what you think is best. Go with your heart. Just be sure not to confuse what you REALLY want for what you think you want.

If you heart says "i want a beautiful daily driver, to coast around in joyfully with a smile on my face" Then this isnt the right car.

Also, the door is "stuck" shut. HMMMM. So you get it open "wow, thats a whole lot of rust. and a whole lot of super glue holding this door shut" You wont beleive what some people will do to hide something. Thats the joy of "as-is"

Wiring is wrong, HMMM maybe this guy had no clue what he was doing with this car, so what else did he "fix" or work on that could also be FUBAR?

1976 White 2002

I wouldn't buy it. I've been through my fare share of hidden rust on an 02. If there's aftermarket trunk spray, most likely it was sprayed to cover something up... like rust! Electrical is also a pain to deal with. A stuck door? They just noticed it?? I find that hard to believe.

4K will get you a MUCH nicer car than that one. Trust me when I say rust is something you want to avoid. Someone here once referred to it as an iceberg, what you see is just the tip- the majority of it still lies underneath.

Here are a few better examples posted on cl.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/209392161.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/208882918.html

This is a beautiful car! A bit more than $4k, but you can tell it was well cared for.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/209213804.html

Good luck!

What about this car??? I was going to check this one out. The body looks pretty straight, although I don't think pastel blue was original paint for this year. Some bumpers, grills and new rims and this could be sweet for the price. Someone should grab it.

Thanks,

Mark92131

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/208116860.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

maystar,

Worst case you get screwed... Hopefully you don't but if you do you'll have a LOT of work and a LOT of money to spend. You'll learn a ton about these cars and look what type of response you just got when you asked for help. You get an immeadiate response from almost 30 people who are willing to be honest and want nothing but to help you out.

Either way as all the others have said. We all hope you end up happy and if you don't we'll all be here tomorrow to help you fix y'er new ride!

Best,

TJW

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

comment or two:

As far as where to look for critical rust:

Probably the two or three most common and critical spots on '02's are the rear shock towers. the drivers side front frame rail, and the rear suspension subframe. Unfortunately, rear shock tower rust is fairly easy to hide until it's in a very advanced state; driver's side front frame rail rust is common due to brake fluid leakage from the master cylinder; rear crossmembers rust from the inside out. Any one of the three can cause suspension collapse, and all three can be difficult to spot without spending some time under the car - personally, I wouldn't even CONSIDER a car with visible rust without getting it on a lift and doing a very careful examination.

Keep in mind that rust repair is expensive, time consuming, expensive, dirty, expensive, requires a fair amount of body repair and welding skill, and will eat your budget alive.

We've all gotten frustrated with not finding the car we want, and most of us have fallen in love with a car, bought it, and then discovered that we've acquired a money pit - it's all a learning process, and isn't necessarily a bad thing. That said, you really should consider a couple of factors before jumping into a car with as many unknowns as this one seems to have:

1) It sounds like you're about to sink ALL your available capital into the purchase of a potentially iffy car - what happens if it breaks and you can't afford to fix it?

2) What's your situation with regard to time, space, and skills for resolving the car's "issues"? Even if it was a totally rust free car, it sounds like you've got a fair amount of electrical trouble shooting and general problem resolution ahead of you - can you do the work yourself, or are you going to have to pay somebody to do it?

Most folks won't presume to tell you what you should or shouldn't do in this circumstance, but you can do yourself a huge favor by trying to make a fair assessment of your skills, time and financial resources vs the car's condition, and walking away if the car's needs too far outstrip your capability to deal with it.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

DON'T BUY IT

I HOPE YOU MEAN THAT'S $425 - $450 ? AND NOT $4,250 - $4,500.00 ?!?!?!?!?! BECAUSE THAT'S ALL IT'S WURTH FROM YOUR

SAD DESCRIPTION .

DON'T BUY IT !!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"