• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

really need your help RIGHT NOW (buying a 2002 in one hour)

maystar

I'm going to go do the final test drive on a 2002 right now.

I need to know if I should buy it, or if it's not a car I should buy.

I AM 10 HOURS AWAY FROM HOME!!!!!!!!

It's now or never.

Here are the bad things:

Driver door is stuck closed. not locked, just stuck.

seems as though they keyhole is sideways, which may have something to do with it being stuck. The claim it became stuck sometime in the last 5 months, they don't know how, didn't noticed it until yesterday.

(how much would this cost to fix?)

The lights are wired wrong.

In order to turn on the tail lights and dash lights, you must first turn on the headlights AND THEN turn on the turning signal.

Now the tail lights are on, not the turning signals.

There are no turning signals.

When you do indeed make a turn, the TAIL LIGHTS GO OFF!!

(how much would it cost to fix?)

The hazard lights are kinda stuck on as well.

I have a toothpick in the car, holding them "off" .

There is a small hole, caused by rust under the spare tire.

It looks like it has been repainted.

There are at least 2 places where there are lumps under the paint, which might be rust.

"Stuff" has been sprayed in the trunk, so I can't see if there's any more rust in there.

Other than that, it appears to be rust free

except a tiny spot near the headlight where it appears to have cancer under the paint in one tiny spot.

(Question: Is this minimal rust okay? Or are these little things signs of a car with bad cancer?)

There are a few spilts in the seats.

Back and Front.

Roof looks cheesily redone. With a hole in it, where the foam is detereraiting.

Sunroof seal is kinda needing glue.

Has only been driven twice a year over the last 5 years.

There's like no fucking oil in it!!!!!!!!!! (Barely registers on the stick)

He has never changed the oil in these five years.

Paint is not perfect.

Other than these things, the engine looks clean, the thing sounds good. The tires are okay. The Inside is well maintained. (or re-done. Can't really tell)

They want $4250 - $4500 for it.

I might be able to get them down to $4000

It's a 1971.

I really want to buy it, because I'm sick of looking and waiting.

Please let me know what I am getting myself into, If I'm paying too much (I think I am), and if I should buy it or not (too expensive or not)

Thanks for your help!!!!

oh yeah, and it's re-painted white, missing one piece of siding.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Review you own postings on this site. Looks like you need some other kind of help ...

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

I'm going to go do the final test drive on a 2002 right now.

I need to know if I should buy it, or if it's not a car I should buy.

I AM 10 HOURS AWAY FROM HOME!!!!!!!!

It's now or never.

Here are the bad things:

Driver door is stuck closed. not locked, just stuck.

seems as though they keyhole is sideways, which may have something to do with it being stuck. The claim it became stuck sometime in the last 5 months, they don't know how, didn't noticed it until yesterday.

(how much would this cost to fix?)

The lights are wired wrong.

In order to turn on the tail lights and dash lights, you must first turn on the headlights AND THEN turn on the turning signal.

Now the tail lights are on, not the turning signals.

There are no turning signals.

When you do indeed make a turn, the TAIL LIGHTS GO OFF!!

(how much would it cost to fix?)

The hazard lights are kinda stuck on as well.

I have a toothpick in the car, holding them "off" .

There is a small hole, caused by rust under the spare tire.

It looks like it has been repainted.

There are at least 2 places where there are lumps under the paint, which might be rust.

"Stuff" has been sprayed in the trunk, so I can't see if there's any more rust in there.

Other than that, it appears to be rust free

except a tiny spot near the headlight where it appears to have cancer under the paint in one tiny spot.

(Question: Is this minimal rust okay? Or are these little things signs of a car with bad cancer?)

There are a few spilts in the seats.

Back and Front.

Roof looks cheesily redone. With a hole in it, where the foam is detereraiting.

Sunroof seal is kinda needing glue.

Has only been driven twice a year over the last 5 years.

There's like no fucking oil in it!!!!!!!!!! (Barely registers on the stick)

He has never changed the oil in these five years.

Paint is not perfect.

Other than these things, the engine looks clean, the thing sounds good. The tires are okay. The Inside is well maintained. (or re-done. Can't really tell)

They want $4250 - $4500 for it.

I might be able to get them down to $4000

It's a 1971.

I really want to buy it, because I'm sick of looking and waiting.

Please let me know what I am getting myself into, If I'm paying too much (I think I am), and if I should buy it or not (too expensive or not)

Thanks for your help!!!!

oh yeah, and it's re-painted white, missing one piece of siding.

Don't buy it... I'll sell you a car in that condition (maybe a little worse) for $1,200. If you need to ask "HOW MUCH" about those things and you're in the $5,000 price range you're getting ripped off. I'd even one up Jerry and say you're looking at a $1,200 car at best. For $4,000 you should have decent paint, NO visible rust or if any rust places like spare tire well or a little SURFACE RUST ONLY on the floors or engine compartment is OK but no holes. Spotty paint covers up things. Is this a dealer you're buying from? How are the brakes, motor - no oil = "I don't give a SH*T about my car", ripped interior?

Steer clear and keep looking. I don't want to sound condecending because that is TOTALLY not my intent but it sounds like you have not looked at a whole lot of cars. You said you're in CA. CA cars are the best and you should be able to find better for that. The electrical should all work, it should be able to run and drive and with LITTLE (under $500) it should be able to make a 1,000 mile trip.

Maybe I went a little too far and others will chime in

EDIT:

agree with BDoon... you're gonna pay at least another $4,000 in repairs. Figure $2,000 on body & paint, $1,000 on suspension and bushings and $1,000 on interior, engine, tires & other... that's exactly what you should expect. For $5,000 you can buy a car in amazing shape. If you're on the east coast I can get you a car for $8,000 - 1971 Malga tii, 30,000 miles all original NICE car... comes with an auto 74 parts car that was in a car-b-q (car fire) all for $8,000

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I'm not one of the consumate 02 experts out there, but 4000 grand is what you'll be paying to repair the thing just to make it driveable AFTER you purchase it...It may drive OK now during the test drive, but after 5 years of sitting, things on the engine/suspension are going to be rough. Not to mention it will probably need new tires immediately to make it safe enough to drive...I agree that 1500 is a better estimate of its value...

Brian

72 inka

this is the car:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/206372915.html

also, here is option two, which is out of my price range AND i'm not sure if i will be able to get ahold of them in time. (i have to go home today because my friend has work tomorrow) I only have $4,588 to my name.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/208175795.html

this is the car:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/206372915.html

also, here is option two, which is out of my price range AND i'm not sure if i will be able to get ahold of them in time. (i have to go home today because my friend has work tomorrow) I only have $4,588 to my name.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/208175795.html

Can't see either from work - but I'll sell you a 1971 Nevada, roundie, sunroof, good motor to tii spec, history that's clean except for a few spots for $1,000. It's in Boston. You put $2500 into it and you have a sweet daily driver - you put $4,000 into it and you'll have a MINT sunroof Nevada roundie.

E36 

For $5,000 you can buy a car in amazing shape. If you're on the east coast I can get you a car for $8,000 - 1971 Malga tii, 30,000 miles all original NICE car... comes with an auto 74 parts car that was in a car-b-q (car fire) all for $8,000

I will never ever have $8,000 all at once. (I've been trying!) I run my own little business and only make $1,000 - $2,000 a month.

Even now I'm thinking about spending more money than I really have. (bills)

30,000 miles? Like original miles? Or on a new engine?

What color interior?

Can't see either from work - but I'll sell you a 1971 Nevada, roundie, sunroof, good motor to tii spec, history that's clean except for a few spots for $1,000. It's in Boston. You put $2500 into it and you have a sweet daily driver - you put $4,000 into it and you'll have a MINT sunroof Nevada roundie.

What are the spots?

What color/condition is the interior?

Engine?

What needs to be done?

What are the spots?

What color/condition is the interior?

Engine?

What needs to be done?

I've got photos but I'm at work. I'll gladly email them to you when I get home this evening. I have class (going back to school for 2nd undergrad) so I won't be home till about 10:00 EST. Photos will show you best. rather than me trying to explain.

thomasjwinston at yahoo dot com

Motor is strong. Car was sitting inside as part of a father/son resto project. Father passed away, car sat in garage for years. I rebuilt carb, replaced points, condensor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, flex brake lines, changed brake fluid, put premium gas in and drove it!! Don't get too excited... it was a resto project that is not complete. Look at the photos but the price I'm asking is reasonable. Depending on where you are you should really see the car first - or have someone locally that you trust come and inspect. I don't want to sell you anything you you aren't 150% sure of and I wasn't looking to get rid of it because I'll just have to go out and find another sunroof roundie. email me for photos...

E36 

Yes, there are a lot of CA cars.

But most of them are 8 hours away from where I live.

Even the ones that are 2 hours away are difficult for me, because I don't really have another car to drive to go look at them. The car I can sometimes use to look at them costs $90 round trip in gas. If I were to look at just 10 cars that were 2 hours away it would cost me like $1,000 in gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it almost seems better just to buy an over-priced bad one.

I'm really thinking about buying this over-priced bad one. Just because I have been watching craigslist for about a year now. Trying to buy one out of state, no one ever responds. The 8 hour away CA cars are gone before I get to even set up an appointment, and even then, no one wants to sell to someone so far away.

All I want is a car

:(

Just someone tell me, does the 1971 have cancer for sure?

Where else should I look for rust?

Guest Anonymous

Offer the guy $500 and work from there... Make a list of problems and what you feel they are going to cost to fix and chip him down in price. If you have the least bit of negotiation skills and some cash you may be able to talk him down. If he is dead set on the price listed walk away from that car unless you know exactly what you are getting into. What kind of mechanical skills do you have? Do you have the tools and a place to do the work on the car?

If your going to buy it do yourself a favor and take you time to look over the car... Get under it and inspect everything, frame rails, rear subframe mounts, corner of the floor pans up front, pull out the rear seat... if there is a lot of paint in the trunk ask about it. If you can get yourself a small screw driver or awl/icepick and press on any of the potential problem areas (when the owner is not exactly paying attention) to assess what your buying...

It sounds like this car has not been taken care of... I wouldn’t spend anything over 1200 for this car.

Good Luck