• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Colors? Original vs. non-2002, what are your beliefs?

maystar

Ok, so originally I wanted to buy an 02 (which I've wanted since I was 5 years old, haha) and paint it light mint green..... MAYBE 1600 Florida green ...

What are your opinions on this?

Is it bad to take a 2002 and paint it another 2002/1600 color?

Is it bad to paint it a non-bmw color?

Does this decrease the value of the car at all?

The more I look at cars, the more I feel like it's a sin not keep it it's original color.....like the color is part of the car, just like the lights are...

Ok, so originally I wanted to buy an 02 (which I've wanted since I was 5 years old, haha) and paint it light mint green..... MAYBE 1600 Florida green ...

What are your opinions on this?

Is it bad to take a 2002 and paint it another 2002/1600 color?

Is it bad to paint it a non-bmw color?

Does this decrease the value of the car at all?

The more I look at cars, the more I feel like it's a sin not keep it it's original color.....like the color is part of the car, just like the lights are...

If a cars survived until today unmolested then I think you're right, it's something of a sin to significantly change it. If it's been fecked about with already then do what you like.

Having said that, my next 02 is getting a non 02 colour whatever it is!

Make yourself happy and keep another 02 loved and on the road.

Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I'm a believer in originality. If you have a sahara car and want a verona or what ever color 02, go buy a verona, inka 02. Every door ding will show sahara underneath your verona or inka paint. What's everyone got against sahara??? Most repaints I've seen, original color was sahara. An 02 that's been repainted in sahara is awesome. It's period correct and it's stealthy. But bottom line, it's your car, you can do what you want with it.

G-Man

who repainted his tii in the orignal color, sahara

E3 2800 repainted in original color, granada

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Thank you Gordon. Sahara is cool in its own subtle way. I lean towards keeping the orig. color, but it's your car. The most important thing is keeping it away from the tinworm and the shredder. (& having FUN with it) The nicks and scrapes will show off the original Sahara before long, that's certain.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I feel that it depends on ones intentions for the car. I bought a 73 tii golf sunroof with the intention of having and using it everyday until it just can't be used any longer. So I painted it the color that I wanted- which turned out to be a ford underhood color. I love that light gray that the early cars came in and there is battleship gray that is so rare that I have never seen it. I'm feel fine about the decision despite the relative desirability of the car in its stock form. Again- its a long term situation.

Why did you have to go ask that question again???...always stirs up everyone's "opinions" - strong & otherwise! :-) That being said, as many will tell you "It's your car...paint it whatever color you want."

But, I believe if you are a true '02 enthusiast you will want to keep it the color of a vintage BMW, "as God intended"! :-)

As for Sahara, I don't have any problem with it either...ever see a freshly painted Sahara '02? I didn't used to care that much for Chamonix myself, "until" I ended up with Hugo.....I didn't dare change the color on this extremely early tii! And I'm so happy I didn't....cause a freshly "properly" painted Chamonix '02 has got to be one of the best vintage looking colors on the planet!...it's simply gorgeous!...as I'm sure Sahara would be as well.

Truth is, "all" '02 colors are beautiful in their own way....it's just that some colors seem to attract more attention than others...doesn't mean the "less popular colors" are "less desirable" than others.

Hell, if I had it my way, I'd have at least one '02 of every color!!! :-)

I hadn't even seen a Nevada color '02 until I went to 02-02-02...that car in the Centrum was absolutely spectacular!!!!

Paint it whatever color you want but keep it an original '02 color...and if you change the color completely, you MUST strip it to bare metal...no other way to change a color proper.

Good luck whatever you decide...just enjoy the journey!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

it's your car....i'd suggest doing what'll put a grin on your face...if that's painting it a non-original color, so be it

i have 14 cars, none of which are original, factory colors....everyone one has never done worse than 1st place in any show i've ever put them in....i believe it's 'cause they stand out in the crowd of others that are all the same

i'm a believer in being different than the rest of the crowd....

no to status quo

If you are entering the car in very serious Concour events, then stick to original. Other than that, do what makes you happy and puts a smile on your face when you drive it.

But, I believe if you are a true '02 enthusiast you will want to keep it the color of a vintage BMW, "as God intended"! :-)

I feel I am a true 02 enthusiast and drive a 1972tii that is Dakar. It was that way when I purchased it so I can not claim I chose the color. It makes me smile and many who look at it. It has been all over the country, gets driven often on long drives and I wish I had a nickel for all of the smiles, thumbs up, head turns and full body turns it gets even with rust beginning to show.

Make yourself smile when you see it, original, 2002 or even some other color. Lawrence Charlemagne in NY has/had two of the most beautiful 02s I have seen in non stock colors, one a copper color and one an aqua color. He walked away with many first in show trophies.

A freshly painted Sahara car is gorgeous. If you do change colors, make all of the Sahara disappear.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Basically I like the idea of keeping the car with its original colour. However.........when I redid the Touring (1987/88) there was no colour sticker under the hood. I had all the cars history (orig Owner was a Mrs Green - very apt) but none of it mentioned the actual colour. The "painter" matched the colour inside the car to the nearest BMW colour and came up with Jadegrun. Only last year did I find out from Mob Trad Germany that it was originally Amazonasgrun. Later this year it will be stripped for restoration and I now have to decide which colour. I have got so used to the Jade and prefer it over Amazon.

What to do?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

is often considered best simply because it is quantifiable- especially in the market. In my opinion It often stands in place of one making ones own creative decisions. I mean WTF does it matter really. Do what you want and just don't worry about it. Its not like these are ultra rare examples of history that we need to preserve for future generations as examples. And even so is it not equally interesting to see a few examples of what people outside of the factory thought was good? If you like jade then so be it.