• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 not engaging in reverse

When I did the 5 speed conversion on my '76, I had my main tech install it. He ran into an issue (3rd party rebuilt both transmissions) in which reverse could not be engaged, and he had to "remove a plate and..." it was a few years ago so i don't recall.

I am building a roundie with a 5 speed in it that was rebuilt by the same shop. Same issue-I can't access the "left detent" location to get reverse. Can anyone detail what needs to be changed? I know my tech didn't have to remove the transmission to do this. thanks!

1 hour ago, rjd2 said:

and he had to "remove a plate and...

That could be different stuff and it's possible this trans has a different problem.

IMHO, the first place to always look is the shift linkage and support platform.

By "look at" I mean perform a visual-tactile-operational inspection.

Get under the car with a good light, look, then grab the shift platform and try to wiggle it around. Any play?

If possible have someone try to put the car in reverse while you watch the linkage looking for binding or slop.

The shift lever itself can have worn /missing bits that allow excessive movement to the point that the lever will hit the shift surround before you can get it into reverse.

Lots of monkey moon going on there, best to eliminate it as a possible cause before looking at the Trans.

Not 5 speed experienced but I gather they are not exactly user friendly to work on.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The 'plate' was probably a plug.  The reverse detent is a separate beast, and 

when the transmission is taken apart, can rotate, preventing the selector shaft from rotating full left.

Pretty sure it's the biggest protruding plug in the 'extension housing' part of the transmission

and that if you simply remove it, the selector will flop over into reverse easily.

Then the selector can be reinstalled with the correct orientation, the spring jammed down on

top of it, and off you go.  The spring is massive- use caution when removing, as it will

launch itself into low earth orbit.

t

it's funny what you do and don't remember from 1996...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You need to get under the car and look carefully.  Many cars that have been converted to 5 speeds get the rear transmission mount slightly off and the shift lever HITS the transmission tunnel before it actually gets into the reverse gate.  Sometimes is is when the shift rod is shortened they don’t get the “clocking” correct and the lever is tilted too far to the left and once again it can hit the tunnel or even hit part of the shift tower limiting the travel.   Check all of this BEFORE you pull the transmission out or take it apart.  

• Like 2

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

The plate may be referring to the output flange seal plate. On the 245s, one bolt that holds that plate is shorter than the others and if one of the longer bolts is accidentally installed in the spot for the short one, the reverse detent is locked out. I don’t remember for sure which of the five holes the short bolt needs to be in, but the 1 o'clock comes to mind.

• Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

As the others have said there is a procedure to rectify your situation.  When my shop installed my G245, it initially wouldn't go into reverse at all. Next day, talked to the shop owner and he said bring it back in and they would fix it. Apparently the technician was learning on the job, the older owner knew right away what happened and they fixed it in 1/2 an hour.

Sorry I don't know the details of the fix but it's along the lines of some of the comments above. Don't give up.

1) slop in linkage

2) selector rod angled = not straight line from shift lever to gearbox selector shaft , R is first to bail.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

1 hour ago, tjones02 said:

The plate may be referring to the output flange seal plate. On the 245s, one bolt that holds that plate is shorter than the others and if one of the longer bolts is accidentally installed in the spot for the short one, the reverse detent is locked out. I don’t remember for sure which of the five holes the short bolt needs to be in, but the 1 o'clock comes to mind.

I totaly forgot about the output flange bolt.  If you can get into the reverse GATE but not into reverse this is most likely the problem.  If you can't get into the reverse GATE then it is most likely a problem outside the gearbox.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

ha- me too.  Until you feel it, and then you're like 'oh, it's doing that, isn't it? That bolt's too long'

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL