• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different ac option!

I have posted recently of having the AC bug while my car is apart for paint. This one appears to be small enough to maybe not even need to modify the tunnel and heat and ac and vents on front for center console. I refuse to put my heater box back after rebuilding in the past so heat/ac combo is for me. I did a test fit using their dimensions and it look like a winner. Narrow and short! Thoughts? They make a cable operated plenum too to move the air around. Check it out. Seems a better fit than a Hurricane. 

WWW.CARBUILDER.COM

INSTALLATION GUIDE IN THE CATALOGUETo download click on 'Catalogue' above

• Like 1

I've thought about this in the past, too, as the stock heater box is so fragile.  And not a fantastic solution even

when it works perfectly.

The challenge I see with that one is intake:  it may be difficult to get it to draw fresh air from the stock hole.

It'd be nice to be able to duct its intake, so you could switch to recirc mode, or 'mix' mode, at will.

edit- I followed the bunny, and found this:

WWW.EBAY.COM

A lightweight centrifugal fan is used to blow air through the combined heater & air conditioning core and expel it through 2x 55mm (2.17") outlet nozzles. 12v Compact Heating & Air Conditioning Unit 2x 55mm Outlets.

which is even tinier!

t

Edited by TobyB
now with many mini bunnies
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Down the rabbit hole we go!  Perhaps made by Kalori...

WWW.WIDNI.FI

Eberspächer Kalori is a well-known manufacturer of high-quality air conditioner whose product range offers solutions for buses and camper vans, special-purpose vehicles, work machinery and boats.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I bought a Southern Air Mini Kool which is the smallest modern AC made. It fit fine between ignition and glove box but in the end I didn't use it since I didn't want to build a custom console around it. I still have it if any body wants to try it. 

https://www.southernrods.com/southern-air-mini-kooler-under-dash-a-c-only-unit-only.html

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

So with all of these all in one systems, they are designed to work with no outside source of air. 

My bright idea for inside for this one is to make a heater box hole cover that will have a cheap cable controlled fresh air vent in it and also pass the heater and ac hoses through it. Something I can make on the bench and the just bolt and seal up using the existing heater block mounting studs. Might be pretty clean!

10 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Down the rabbit hole we go!  Perhaps made by Kalori...

WWW.WIDNI.FI

Eberspächer Kalori is a well-known manufacturer of high-quality air conditioner whose product range offers solutions for buses and camper vans, special-purpose vehicles, work machinery and boats.

Ac for Ambulance and vans…

sure…why not?! 😂😂

I’m totally planning to use this, cooler and AC all-in-one. Runs off a battery or car charger. On hot days put it in the backseat and call it good. It won’t keep me frosty in the summer, but tolerable and I can keep my car stock.

WWW.ICYBREEZE.COM

Beat the heat wherever you are with the IcyBreeze portable air conditioner. It's an ice cooler and...

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

1 hour ago, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

I’m totally planning to use this, cooler and AC all-in-one. Runs off a battery or car charger. On hot days put it in the backseat and call it good. It won’t keep me frosty in the summer, but tolerable and I can keep my car stock.

WWW.ICYBREEZE.COM

Beat the heat wherever you are with the IcyBreeze portable air conditioner. It's an ice cooler and...

That will do something I’m sure but may not help much in a humid Texas car for me. 

I had to butcher the dash up, but I put in one that blows twice as much CFM‘s and actually cools the car…

IMG_9070.thumb.jpeg.1f357ec147f598b4fc091cffefe4a74f.jpegIMG_9069.thumb.jpeg.443f9f40c7d71537f61e4bc742b8910b.jpegIMG_9065.thumb.jpeg.791a30dd4df37dee07f4316a5ea77e03.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

2 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

actually cools the car…

I can testify to this… you could hang meat in Barney’s Turkis car

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, BarneyT said:

I had to butcher the dash up, but I put in one that blows twice as much CFM‘s and actually cools the car…

IMG_9070.thumb.jpeg.1f357ec147f598b4fc091cffefe4a74f.jpegIMG_9069.thumb.jpeg.443f9f40c7d71537f61e4bc742b8910b.jpegIMG_9065.thumb.jpeg.791a30dd4df37dee07f4316a5ea77e03.jpeg

Well done, Barney!

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ha!  

Barney, when you hit the a/c button, does your top speed drop to 67?

My bright idea for inside for this one is to make a heater box hole cover that will have a cheap cable controlled fresh air vent in it and also pass the heater and ac hoses through it.

I'd add a fan, too- but that's NOT a bad idea.  Maybe duct that outside air such that it gets easily sucked into the fans on the universal

box- that way, if you want to let cold fresh air in, it'll get (mostly) heated before it hits your legs.  That'd also help

with moisture control, as cool, wet air on the inside of the windshield causes problems.

Eberspacher has been in the heating and cooling business a long time- the aircooled VWs for cold climates got

gas- fuelled heaters, and I've also found their stuff in early EV attempts by GM, Mazda and others.  Everything I've run 

across by them has been very well designed, and while the ducting isn't always OEM, the plumbing and combustion systems

look like aircooled airplane parts.  Very tidy.

t

really regrets selling the '65 notch parts car

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And it appears to be (the one @Highnote1 linked) a Kalori "SUPER K KOMBI."

Apparently the retail pricing is a closely guarded secret, more or less.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

Barney, when you hit the a/c button, does your top speed drop to 67?

Looks like just the opposite - if he cracks the rear windows, the jet engine under the dash will give him an extra 20mph on the top end! 

• Haha 2

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler