• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't know what is causing this surging.

My car is a 1967 2000c with a 2002tiim engine as my car did not have an engine when I bought it.  After correcting my reversing of the supply and return lines the engine was running great. I suspected a leaky head gasket, as my engine sat for 10 year empty and after getting it running and very little mileage the oil looked funky and the antifreeze looked cloudy so I replaced it. The pistons and head looked decent so I cleaned things up and put it back together with the new gasket.  Now I am getting this consistent surging and cannot fiqure it out.  I did have an odd thing when I reassembled and set crank to TDC I noticed  that my KF was unexplicably not at tdc and I know it was before I stated?  So I readjusted the belt to align it as well.  Prior to the head gasket the engine was running great so I am perplexed why the KF was out of sink. I removed the valve cover again and verified the head was correctly set to TDC and verified #1 cylinder valves were open.  I also installed a proper backflow on my vacum line.  I tried reversing the backflow and no change.  It is currently allowing flow/vacum into the intake.  Any help would be appriciated. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jkraft said:

I removed the valve cover again and verified the head was correctly set to TDC and verified #1 cylinder valves were open.  

Both valves should be closed and on the back side of the cam lobe. If the valves were open on #1 then the engine was at TDC on #4.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I said #1 was open but I meant closed on the flat side of the cam lob.  The timming chain gear can only be installed one way due to a prong on the gear and a hole on the cam.  

It is leaking at the injectors.  I have tried tighting but I cannot get them to seal.  I installed new copper washers but they don't seam to be sealing.  I found the leak with carb cleaner so I am not sure what to do next.

58 minutes ago, jkraft said:

It is leaking at the injectors.  I have tried tighting but I cannot get them to seal.  I installed new copper washers but they don't seam to be sealing.  I found the leak with carb cleaner so I am not sure what to do next.

How long have the injectors been sitting?  If they had old fuel/water, then the base of the injector may be corroded inside.  After removing the injector from the engine, you can carefully take the upper part out of the base.  Examine the parts and soak/use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

So, as I read it, you've removed the manifolds and cylinder head and then reassembled everything. How did you reassemble the the linkage between the KF pump and the throttle body?? Its quite possible that something's shifted with all that disturbance and new gaskets etc... have you re-set the linkage as described in the Blue Book?

In my experience, the timing of the KF pump doesnt make a huge difference to mid range ,  i don't think that's your issue.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise