• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new wiring harness pugs

Somewhere, someone must have found a source for NEW e10 wiring plug connectors? Not the metal connector but the white and black plug housings for the pins. You know the connectors that are impossible to clean. That no matter how much you clean the original wiring and retape the harness still looks like crap with the discolored plugs. Someone made these but who and why are they not still available somewhere? I bet they are and someone out thee knows. Please share with us so my wiring finally looks new. I lose sleep at night obsessing over this. My dog is fed up with my tossing and turning all night. 

Those connectors aren't unique to BMWs but are from an outside supplier.  Molex is one of the companies that makes those connectors; I'm sure others will chime in with other providers.  This has come up on the fAQ before and there were answers IIRC...the trick is gonna be finding the reference in the archives.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There  is a fellow on the E9 site that reproduces the connectors for relays.      I have lots of the small 2 blade connectors for the tii cold start and coolant time switch           I also have the 90 degree flag connector for the coolant temp switch     Most of the connectors are covered in clear rubber boots which also are easy to get,   The wiring covers are in different sizes of PVC tubing also readily available      The only connector cover that I am still looking for is a square oblong plastic cover for either single or double connectors  

Thanks, Rick

Hoping the suggestions above help!  You might want to correct your title to plugs to make this post easier to find for others seeking the same.

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Molex is indeed the brand of these male and female connectors.  I purchased a few when trying to convert my 69 to the later TS stalk and interval wipers.  Look very closely at the connectors.  One site even had the drawing of the metal plate that goes under the dash of the Model 71 2002’s.  Let me dig a little.

73 TS stalk has plug. I bought a companion to it along with some pins and made my own harness using leftover VW wiring harness bits.

20170708_123422_Original.jpeg

20170708_123439_Original.jpeg

20170708_123808_Original.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ed, whip out your 3d printer, stick some nylon into it, and draw 'em up.

t

tis only petrochemicals...

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

20 hours ago, Ed Jenkins said:

the white and black plug housings for the pins. You know the connectors that are impossible to clean. That no matter how much you clean the original wiring and retape the harness still looks like crap with the discolored plugs.

Have you tried an ultrasonic cleaner?

Jgerock, your harness is amazing! How did the conversion to the later switches go? I will be doing some modifications to my wiper switch. I am installing headlight wiper/washers. I did some looking and will try to use a wiper stock from a later M5 that has the headlight washer functions built in along with the regular system. I know I can already hear the purest wailing and shouting heresy. Sometimes daily practicality has to win out. Anything else you dig up will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Indeed a 3D printer would solve many problems – if I had one. I am facinated but have far more to do now than time but perhaps in the future. So for now I must use what is available.

No melatonin will not help. Only the reality of actually solving the problem will help. With all the great responses I am sure that a sound sleep is not far off.

Ed

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ed Jenkins said:

Jgerock, your harness is amazing! How did the conversion to the later switches go? I will be doing some modifications to my wiper switch. I am installing headlight wiper/washers. I did some looking and will try to use a wiper stock from a later M5 that has the headlight washer functions built in along with the regular system. I know I can already hear the purest wailing and shouting heresy. Sometimes daily practicality has to win out. Anything else you dig up will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Indeed a 3D printer would solve many problems – if I had one. I am facinated but have far more to do now than time but perhaps in the future. So for now I must use what is available.

No melatonin will not help. Only the reality of actually solving the problem will help. With all the great responses I am sure that a sound sleep is not far off.

Ed

Ed- my efforts didn’t pan out.  The 71 wiper motor didn’t work properly, so I was able to find a correct early replacement.   I temporarily wired up a new switch, relay and stalk, but wasn’t able to get the new components to “be nice” to the old motor.  I put everything back to the stock 69 configuration.  My 73tii, however, was successfully upgraded to the interval wiper setup that I purchased from @shermanmartinez a long time ago.  

Jim Gerock

Here are the plugs and male/female pin connectors I purchased from Amazon.  I was wrong about the manufacturer of the (replacement) connectors I found - they are AMP/Tyco Electronics. I used the female pins to match up to the stock BMW TS/wiper stalk socket that has male pins.

The male plug is AMP # 1-480274-0.  The female socket is AMP # 480277 (number found on the  connector).

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock