• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All you Massachusetts 02ers...New Bill in the legislature

Mike Self

Per SEMA:

Massachusetts has introduced SAN-supported legislation (H. 3412) to remove driving restrictions from cars with antique tags. This bill applies to vehicles 25 years or older not used for general transportation purposes.

If passed, the bill would remove the requirement that vehicles be maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. The Joint Committee on Transportation will hear this bill on October 2nd at 1 p.m.

Might want to contact your rep to support this...if you have collector plates, it'll make it much easier simply to pleasure drive your "antique" 2002 without gendarme harassment.

mike  

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Same here in North Carolina. I know the antique tag enforcement is not high on the priority list for motor vehicle infractions, but you never know when you might catch a grumpy bazzer....

• Thanks 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Same for Washington, I know of no one who has been ticketed for antique or horseless carriage plate but you are at risk. Yes all 02er's in Massachusetts should at least send a e mail to your reps. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

How many states have laws like this?!  Meanwhile, adding a few more to my list of “why would anybody live there?”…..

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

3 hours ago, 0257 said:

How many states have laws like this?!  Meanwhile, adding a few more to my list of “why would anybody live there?”…..

What are the rules for antique plates in Florida?

The license plates shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is owned by the same owner/registrant. An Antique permanent license plate for a historical motor vehicle only applies to those that are used in exhibitions, parades, or public display.Apr 30, 2018
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Ah, I think I get it.  Appears the plate is exempt from renewal (fees?) provided you only drive it to events?  If that’s the case, then you can pick your poison, which is as ‘Murican as motor oil.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

Minnesota has the same rule regarding vintage plates :)

I found both of these plates in an antique/vintage store in Cannon Falls, MN. $5 each! Serendipity that BOTH were in the bin of plates. 

IMG_4691.thumb.jpeg.b382ebabe3e40a21cfb8c8c72ec9b3ec.jpegIMG_4692.thumb.jpeg.e063c7b62514957e753adc017200b180.jpeg

• Like 2

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

After giving this some thought a couple years ago when I got my car back on the road, I don't really see any reason to have antique plates here in Mass even if they lift the restriction as they A) Cost the same and B ) The inspection requirements are just about as stringent.  

What we really need are changes to the inspection process.  Some places follow it to the letter, and others let little things slide, even though they are supposedly all being videotaped as of some years ago.  Its a big racket that does little to nothing to improve safety.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnny02 said:

After giving this some thought a couple years ago when I got my car back on the road, I don't really see any reason to have antique plates here in Mass even if they lift the restriction as they A) Cost the same and B ) The inspection requirements are just about as stringent.  

What we really need are changes to the inspection process.  Some places follow it to the letter, and others let little things slide, even though they are supposedly all being videotaped as of some years ago.  Its a big racket that does little to nothing to improve safety.  

Florida has no inspection requirement.  A little scary, but I doubt the number of unsafe cars increases by much bc of it.  Texas is abolishing its requirement starting in 2025.

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S