• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inside guts of a Trap Mirror

I decided to spruce up my 50 year old trap mirror as the white retaining gasket holding the mirror was weathered and brittle.  The mirror was also difficult to adjust would need superhuman effort and cause fear of damaging the door.  I have never taken an old side mirror apart before and was surprised what was behind the glass. Most smart people would just replace the whole mirror and have never taken one apart.

• The old gasket and mirror didn't simply snap out in attempts to remove with a flat blade.  I ended up cutting it off gasket in pieces with mini flush cutters.  Then I was able to work the gasket remnants and mirror away from the body.  
  • Once the glass was out, I was surprised to see a large spring, and a secondary white retention gasket.  Guess it makes sense, or the mirror would rattle without these in place.
  • On the back of the glass, there is a circular pad taped on with what appears to be masking tape.  One end of the spring sits in this perch, and the yellow rubber coated portion of the spring rests against the inner body.  Note there is a little drain hole at the bottom of the body.
  • There is a phillips head fastener with a spring that holds the lower arm on via ball and joint.  II went through 8 screwdrivers trying to find the right fit and couldn't turn it. I decided against stripping it, or further complications putting it back together, it's one of those short tightly wound thick springs you just know is under a lot of pressure.  I don't believe this was designed to be "adjusted" anyway.  I just sprayed some lubricant down its throat and around the ball joint and worked it loose.  I can adjust the mirror now, but you don't want it too loose anyway.   Remember the old days when your mirrors would work their way out of position, you'd tell your passenger to roll down the window, "okay a little in"...  no "a little out".
  • Putting the new gasket on the glass first and snapping it into place didn't work for me.  The gasket has little feet around it that clamp on the back of the glass. I had to place the glass and spring in the right position in the body, then work and snap the new gasket in.  Could have used another opposable digit. I probably need to massage it a little better to fit right.
  • I tried every metal polish potion and buffer wheel, but the shine just ain't coming back as compared to the new mirror in the picture.  The mirror itself is not nearly as sharp as the new one, I contemplated for a few seconds of getting a new mirror cut.  But it will suffice and reminded myself these tiny mirrors provide very field of vision anyway. 

Steve

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

• Like 3

Steve--where the heck did you get the gasket?   They were NLA many years ago, and I've just glued the glass back in place with silicone bathroom sealer, sans spring.  Is it by chance an M-B part?

The mirror housing is stainless steel, so you should be able to find a buffing compound that's specifically for stainless--or take it to a buffing shop and have them do it.  The base is pot metal, so if it's pitted, you're SOL without having it replated.  

Nice tutorial!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Steve,

Good Repair Job !!!!!

Here's a project for your consideration:  fix my rearview mirror.  Clumsy me managed to whap it with a shotgun (don't ask) and the little lever doesn't "lever" anymore for night driving, something inside broke.

-------  You'll be on my tab at Centro Basco for a year for a successful fixit !!      

image.thumb.png.dee199716cb31d86c7252834b6d92d15.png

Cheers,

Carl

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

Steve,

Good Repair Job !!!!!

Here's a project for your consideration:  fix my rearview mirror.  Clumsy me managed to whap it with a shotgun (don't ask) and the little lever doesn't "lever" anymore for night driving, something inside broke.

-------  You'll be on my tab at Centro Basco for a year for a successful fixit !!      

Cheers,

Carl

That's why I prefer bringing the sawed off when driving my 02.  Yeah I'll fix it or buy you a new one if it means lunch for a year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

Steve,

Good Repair Job !!!!!

Cheers,

Carl

I know you said don't ask, but why was the shotgun not in the trunk?

I was once at a shooting range when a guy pulled up in a 2002 almost identical to mine. To make  it even weirder the friend I was shooting with knew him. I ended up selling the guy some parts lol.

14 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

Those levers to move day to night will eventually break even without the shotgun.  I've had several die over the years.  I've not tried it, but I think if you were to heat the glass-retaining lip with a heat gun you could soften it enough to remove the glass, thus exposing the broken (plastic) lever that shifts the mirror.  Then you'll have to figure out how to repair it.  

Or you can just slightly tilt the mirror when driving at night, and accomplish the same thing as the tilt lever.

Another option is to find a (functioning) mirror from an E21, early 5 er or 6 series and install it.  They are larger, provide more visibility to the rear, and will still clear your sun visors. 

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow - Rogerstii wants $28.55 + tax versus bts-autoteile at 8,90 €($10) incl tax.

Reason I've never bought from Mr. Rogers.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2002iii,

in the interests of "don't ask" ......    'Twas a wonderful SoCal AromaTherapy kind of morning, and the shotgun was in the trunk, with several important friends.  It was not until after it wasn't in the trunk that somebody's innate clumsiness overruled the situation and, as they say:  things happen ...... 

image.png.918dc3ff9c0f6f7d319fe40946bc5245.png

image.thumb.png.1523fd76c82dae1204bb310ce6a200d3.png

image.thumb.png.a45241c81fdeaab30b8615293f7e81f5.png

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, its55 said:

I wonder how those numbers compare if shipping is added

Probably when ordering one they may well come a little closer, BUT, when ordering, say, a hundred for resale......pay day!

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17