• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to select the proper tire for your 2002

halboyles

Tire selection is not a trivial decision.  You need to take into consideration as many parameters as possible before spending a month's worth of childcare for a set.  Among those parameters are composition, size, color, bandwidth, and fragrance, to name but just a few.  Well, here to help you with that choice is a scientific look at one of those parameters that has been too long overlooked-- the tire ski jump.

Edited by halboyles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

It's gonna take a physics expert to explain how the heaviest tire, with the largest frontal area went the farthest.  Just doesn't seem intuitive, even given gravity...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I worked at the main warehouse for NTW (National Tire Wholesalers - now NTB)  for several years during college.  We unloaded and loaded trailer loads of all types and brands of tires.  I recall hand rolling tires all over the place. Cheap ones wouldn’t roll straight no matter how many hands were helping straighten their path to the stocking location or pallets for movement within the warehouse.  Overseas shipments smelled horrible due to the ocean container sea water intrusion (Pirellis from South America were one standout).

On a positive note, I loved how well new Michelin XZX 165SR-15 front tires transformed the front handling of my 75 VW Beetle. Rear tires were 185/70-15 Bridgestone RD 207 (Super Filler😏 ads by Lee Trevino) radials.  Bias ply tires were history to me.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Brilliant!  

t

off to get some skiploader tires for all his vehicles.  

(Except the skiploader, of course)

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL