• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bang on shifts after e21 mount install.

Highnote1
Go to solution Solved by Highnote1,

Can someone point me to what could be banging on shifts on floor or tunnel after adding this beefier mount. Underneath it when still I don’t see anything. All new mounts just done and evidently the bigger tranny mount has caused something else to interfere? Anyone been here before? Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Highnote1 said:

Exhaust was perfect and newly mounted in the last year. I’ll get it up in the air tomorrow and poke around!

While you are down there spin the driveshaft around to see if you see any witness marks on the shaft or guibo bolts.

Yeah a little movement is  ok but that seems to be quite excessive
Think you are on to something.

If all the 4 bolts are tight it would have to be the mounts/bushings,  or corner of platform broken

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

This can’t be right!? See video. All bolts appear very tight…but all this movement? Is this just the guts gone from every rubber bushing in there including the ones that mount the whole contraption up there? 

IMG_4697.mov

This is quite likely, the oil and heat turns the rubber in the bushings into goo.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944