• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission drain

RJT79

It uses an Allen head drain plug--I looked but can't find the size of the Allen key needed.  I want to say 10mm but that may not be correct.  

Before removing the drain plug, make sure you can remove the filler plug!  You'd feel pretty dumb with a drained tranny and no way to fill with new fluid!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's 17mm, or 11/16" will do.  Here's a neat old VW wrench I found at the habitat store a while back.  

image.thumb.jpeg.5a7281baadc53b3c34017e3422fd8d6c.jpeg

I've got a big 11/16" Allen wrench that has been getting shorter over the years, as I've cut pieces off to use with a socket, or a wrench for the fill plug.

Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RJT79 said:

if the plug is the right size, how does it start leaking?  

Steel plug and aluminum threads:  different wear rates, different expansion rates.  Folks in the past have used Teflon plumbers tape around the threads; that seems to work presuming the threads themselves aren't damaged.

And there may supposed to be a copper crush washer under the drain plug.  It's been awhile since I had one out, but I know the oil drain plug has one...

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

15 hours ago, RJT79 said:

Am I missing the plug completely?

If that was the case your gearbox would have let you know by now.

Fist thing to do is check and see if the plug is loose/ needs tightening

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Don't go berzerk with the teflon and the tightening-

it's a taper thread, and lubed with the long- chain polymers,

it can split the case.

It's rather likely that it's leaking higher up, and you're just seeing the

end of the trail.  The plugs do sometimes leak, but you'll need to jack the car

crawl under it and really check things like the shift rod seal, platform bolts, etc

to confirm it's the plug.

And then yeah, a few wraps of teflon and an EASY tighten usually does the deal.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 5/27/2023 at 3:01 PM, Mike Self said:

Before removing the drain plug, make sure you can remove the filler plug!  You'd feel pretty dumb with a drained tranny and no way to fill with new fluid!

Yep! Bloody thing…. Got mine undone fortunately, but I will never make that school boy error again🙄