• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 BMW 2002 US Federal Sticker?

RMBaiada

Any suggestions where I can find one of the stickers below?

I tried to register my 1974 BMW 2002 in California and was told by the DMV that there is supposed to be a Federal sticker on the back edge of the driver's door that says something like:

"This vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S.A. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in Effect on the date of Manufacture shown above"

I painted my car and pulled all the stickers. I got a new set of stickers from Carl at La Jolla Independant BMW, but he said this one is not available. I copied the above information from my 2018 Pacifica driver's door.

While they aren’t available from BMW, I believe someone started making reproductions a couple years ago. The “fishscale“ material is kind of hard to replicate. My ‘74 tii has been cosmetically restored as well, and no longer has the aforementioned sticker either but I did not have any problems registering it in California.

Maybe  try a different DMV office?

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Those stickers are very hard to duplicate.  They have tamper proof perforations and feature the manufacturing date and VIN Number.  You might try searching the FAQ.  I remember someone duplicating these with fake perforations.

Mark92131

IMG_3452.thumb.JPG.4f4867801f22241db66b47cc59b9cc6d.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

That guy sounds like he might’ve been trained  at the Massachusetts Registry of motor vehicles, which is notorious for gleefully rejecting customers. There are various  vendors on eBay, you probably have to buy the whole set.  Tom

s-l500.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1976 BMW 2002 2002Tii USA Restoration Decals Stickers...

Interestingly, my '73 didn't come with one of those door stickers, and was first registered in California.  Apparently the car's driver side door was damaged either in shipment or delivery, and the entire door was replaced prior to customer delivery. 

I know the door wasn't original to the car as it has black primer, wasn't color painted inside the door and had a paper part number sticker on it.  And the work was done prior to delivery, as I have every invoice from the day it was sold--no bodywork on that door. 

Seems to me that the CA DMV could determine it was a '74 by its VIN, and since there was no CA-specific model in 1974, and no emission inspection is required, it sounds like DMV guy had a wild hair you-know-where.   And it would also mean that no car that had the driver's door replaced could ever be registered in CA?  Not bloody likely...

Guess CA was looser in 1973.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Car-Bone in Poland, and probably several thousand computer-savvy individuals, can make reasonable facsimiles of these stickers, utilizing shadow lines to emulate the intentionally-self-destructive original stock.

The percentage of these stickers that are both (a.) surviving, and (b.) legible (fugitive ink was used until ca. 1975, when perforations replaced ink) has to be well under 50% of the surviving ‘02’s.

I believe 1974 ‘02’s used the “b” version of the sticker (lower-case “b” in the lower right corner), not that CA DMV will know that. There are threads on these stickers, the various versions, and sources for them.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As others have said, those federal stickers are very difficult to obtain.  Even if you found a reproduction, the VIN and manufacture date need to be present and legible to pass DMV inspection.  However, there is a work around as I believe you can have a 'safety' inspection done by CHP if that sticker is missing.  I would also recommend contacting a professional car registration service.  If you are near San Jose, I highly recommend contacting Mario at CONAR.  He did an amazing job helping me register my '74.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Interestingly, my '73 didn't come with one of those door stickers, and was first registered in California.  Apparently the car's driver side door was damaged either in shipment or delivery, and the entire door was replaced prior to customer delivery. 

I know the door wasn't original to the car as it has black primer, wasn't color painted inside the door and had a paper part number sticker on it.  And the work was done prior to delivery, as I have every invoice from the day it was sold--no bodywork on that door. 

Seems to me that the CA DMV could determine it was a '74 by its VIN, and since there was no CA-specific model in 1974, and no emission inspection is required, it sounds like DMV guy had a wild hair you-know-where.   And it would also mean that no car that had the driver's door replaced could ever be registered in CA?  Not bloody likely...

Guess CA was looser in 1973.  

mike

The DMV would have no idea which VINs relate to which year, I don’t think any state DMV would have this.  The door sticker degrades over time and the VIN and build date become unreadable, the CHP just wants to see it.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix