• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JF Pro independent BMW intentionally installed a bad motor

vinceg14

This may be a lot to read. I am some what reluctant to write this and have sat on it for a few weeks now. I think its important you know what my experience was with Jack at his shop JF Pro Independent BMW in Van Nuys, CA. First off Jack is a cunning businessman in my opinion. He is capable of good work but I only got some of the good stuff he is capable off. Jack deliberately sold and installed His M42 engine with over 3 MM of crankshaft endplay and Rod bearings that were transferring material on to the crankshaft. All of this was done with his knowledge . I will prove it.  In some cases a worn out motor sale is fine if all that information was disclosed up front and the price was 300 dollars. Trust really is the issue here. 

In May of 2022 I agreed to have  Jack Install his good used M42 ( his words, not mine) that he had in his possession.  Jack explained he had a complete e30 M42 car with 100K plus miles. His go to line was its the condition of the motor that counts not the miles and I inspect all my used motors. I only install good motors. This is not a crap motor. Well that is what he said when he contacted me through this site when I started a thread on this site asking if the M42 is a good motor to use.  My car is a 1991 e30 originally a M42 car. I bought this car in the San Francisco area in July 2021. I drove the e30 for about 1100 miles. At that time it was a street driven m50 car with track mods not a race car and with South Dakota plates. The M50 had bearing wear and I needed better balance as I like to autocross with the Porsche club here in the LA area.

Jack's price was $2600.00 for the engine and accessories not AC. He estimated $4,000.00 to install the M42 but did say he had to check several things on the engine or the deals off. Those items were the availability of M42  timing parts on the front of the engine and that he had to check end play of the crank and rod bearing condition. Jack explained that if he can not find certain parts for the engine the deal is off. if the engine needs a rebuild the rebuild cost is high ( he said approximately 12 grand for a stock rebuild)  and that cost would not make sense. Knowing what I know now this is where we should have stopped, re evaluated my situation and possibly rebuilding the M50.  Your Mechanic is in charge and responsible for the results. As an enthusiast we rely on good direction.  

What happens over the next few weeks is my car is delivered to Jacks shop and I give a $1950.00 cash payment. A week later I call Jack and ask if we can make this swap smog legal so I can get CA Plates. He does say this changes everything but can do it. He successfully did get my car to pass smog and I did get plates before handing it back to me. Mid June I make a trip to Jacks shop to make a second payment of $2000.00 cash and Jack reviews with me what he is doing. He shows me the M42 on his stand torn down right side up. I am told My M20 Flywheel, PP and clutch are good to use, they are on the ground below the engine at this time and I did look right at the parts. I was also informed that the chain tensioner piston,3 guides and a  screw kit for the guides are on order. Additionally I was told the endplay was within BMW's spec and that Rod bearings 2 and 4 are inspected and good. Over the next few weeks jack has over $3000.00 of additional cost. One item is a heater core that I approved he change to new and a $450.00 used m42 driveshaft.  

On July 31st I got the car from Jack, Paid my balance and started my drive home 65 miles to Riverside.  Right away I had heavy vibrations and by the time I got to Pasadena I pulled over and discovered I had a lose front wheel. This is my fault because I had pulled that wheel off and reinstalled it without torquing it down just before I loaded it on a trailer to deliver it to Jack. I assumed he would be removing both front wheels for the work and I was wrong.  I resolved that issue and drove home and really to shorten up things here is the problems I had over the next 2 months and two trips back to jacks shop. The car somewhat ran good and I was really excited to have it back.  

The car would not stop. as a mater of fact this was seriously dangerous.  Too much pedal pressure . Jack resolved this by installing the correct brake check valve. His claim was that he assumed it was always was like that.  Nope, I have excellent brakes. 

The engine runs rough at start up.  Gets heavy vibrations from 1800 to 2800 rpm's and doesn't sound smooth at all. Jacks claims the M20 flywheel was the problem. Nope, vibrations were reduced by installing rubber transmission and differential  mounts. This car has no interior and that makes it loud but it was 100 percent louder with more 100 percent more  vibrations that with the M50 installed on Delrin mounts. This issue wasn't resolved until a different shop replaced all the crank and rod bearings.  More on this later. 

The engine would initially run rough when slowing to a stop and idling. This was random for the first 100 miles of use by me.  I could use the throttle to keep it going and it would even out.  After 150 miles of street driving it would actually stall on me and act flooded. Jacks response was It could be anything  bring it in and I will look at it. Two return trips later with a tow truck charge and he says it never did it for him. The Fix came by me when I called him and badgered him for info. Look into the ICV valve. I did. It was stuck partially open and those things are $400.00. As soon as I put on a rebuilt unit, the engine stopped dying on me. 

These things also happened after the swap by Jack and they were not present before he worked on the e30. At this point e30 has covered 651 miles since jack finished the car in July. 

The shifter would not stay in 4th gear unless I babied it.  "Jack" trans abused by the m50, you need a new one. 

The oil was leaking from the sending unit.  "Jack" bring it in could be anything. 

Coolant ran onto the interior of the car causing a water temperature rise to 220 was running at 200 before.  "Jack" could be anything bring it in.

The lower rear oil pan leaking, front timing case leaking. "Jack Bring it in." 

The engine is vibrating a lot.  "Jack, those M42 run rough". 

In early November We discussed to return the car a 4th time and I should find a good transmission but he was too busy until January. I am now confident that He is unconcerned with the outcome of my experience at his shop. I found another shop in Huntington Beach to do the transmission swap for me in early December.  

Eventually The new shop calls me and says we pulled out your old transmission and someone has wrote on the flywheel BAD THRUST BEARING. I am certain this was wrote on the flywheel by the tech who works on the cars for Jack. Remember, I got a visual on the flywheel at Jacks shop in June and there were no words wrote on it, he did not mention that he discovered those words when the M50 was pulled by him. My best Guess here is Jack told the tech to install the bad motor and the tech did not want to be part of this kind of business model. Jack probably gambled that I would blow up the engine at a track day and he is out of the loop of responsibility.  That scenario never happened because this engine just would not run well enough for me to enter a track day. Additionally the rear lower oil pan on Jacks M42 had been repaired by welding up a big crack and some aluminum putty material that was failing. I found a replacement at Classic Daily for 250.00 . The front timing cover was leaking at the red silicone he chose to use instead of an BMW gasket.  Some Things performed at Jacks shop were done well and the install looks proper. But The Decision to stick me with a bad engine is warning to the rest of you. This was intentional not an oversight. 

The Photos attached show the condition of the crankshaft center bearings, rod bearings and the message on the M20 flywheel from my M50 that jack removed from my e30.

I texted and emailed Jack with Photos and my ranting. It was obvious to him another shop had my car and by the images I stated that he intended to take advantage of me. I made the comment that I will never allow him to work on my cars in the future. Then and only then did he offer to warranty the engine knowing I will never use him again.  I asked him for a fair refund of 4,000.00 dollars and his only response is to text back saying he will warranty used motor.  

jf flywheel message .jpg

JF center thrust bearing 2.jpg

jf bearing 3.jpg

jf m42 engine recipt .jpg

• Sad 1

Gut feeling, without knowing much, $4K is not nearly enough to do a swap.  I wouldn't really consider it for under $8K. Ancillaries and the might-as-wells would eat up $4K in a heartbeat. 

When you have it apart, for sure look through the bottom end.  New oil pump, water pump, and all new gaskets.  I would want to pull the head just cuz it costs you $75 for a gasket and about 2 hrs in labour when it is sitting on a stand. 

Upgrade the rad and check the sensors, get the flywheel resurfaced and checked for cracks, and newer exhaust (fresh catalytic is $800-$1200), and flush the gas tank. 

The devil is in the details.  You can spend an enormous amount of time fiddling with the wiring, and chasing down demons with phantom ground issues.   Using a Motronic is a bit of a crap shoot.  Most folks use an aftermarket ECU which is easily 1$-2K (AEM, MS, or if you have the budget Halltech).  I can't remember if the M42 is DBW, if it is then Halltech is the better choice (from what I have read). 

With that being said,  refreshing the bottom end and a new flywheel should get you sorted out.  Stock stuff is easily available and relatively inexpensive. 

Cudos for doing it for $4K ish. 

... Kinda waiting for the blast, but perhaps I deserve it... 

Still shitty that your ride is messed up. 

This is mine after I wanted to re-run the fuel lines.   Smoked for another week or two with a bad paw. 

52F9511B-9539-46AF-9E6E-32E325CB180B.thumb.jpeg.57a4bf7a03dd4132eb605513fbeceead.jpegE3742BFF-822D-472F-A0E6-0F50AA346CF5.thumb.jpeg.7708e69b14bb14955aaf1845d700addd.jpeg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

No firsthand experience with this vendor, I did contact him about inspecting/rebuilding my 235/5 sport transmission.  Tossed out a number $12-14k to do the work (no typo there).  You can get an exchange from GMT Bauer in Germany for 3900,00 Eur (and they are one of the best for sure with BMW transmissions.....).  It's at Pete's Gear Shop in Hayward now getting a look over.  Semi off topic, sorry.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lorin said:

You know you are on a 2002 forum, right ?

This just might be an example of watching TV commercials to help you decide how you vote. Glancing over a story and just not getting it. God help the ATL. 

The subject of the story is that a long time member on this “2002 forum” performed less than shady work and the OP is posting as a warning.

I called Jack in the past for a trans rebuild quote and something didn’t sit right with me while talking to him, so I opted to have the rebuild performed elsewhere. 

Hope all works out for you @vinceg14

• Like 4

I hope the OP realizes that he will never get restitution because he is now dealing with a second shop over a used engine purchase, no matter whether his claims are true or not.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

38 minutes ago, RichenFamous said:

This just might be an example of watching TV commercials to help you decide how you vote. Glancing over a story and just not getting it. God help the ATL. 

The subject of the story is that a long time member on this “2002 forum” performed less than shady work and the OP is posting as a warning.

I called Jack in the past for a trans rebuild quote and something didn’t sit right with me while talking to him, so I opted to have the rebuild performed elsewhere. 

Hope all works out for you @vinceg14

I’ve never had a television in my whole life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimk said:

I hope the OP realizes that he will never get restitution because he is now dealing with a second shop over a used engine purchase, no matter whether his claims are true or not.

I took a few weeks after finding out that the fact is Jack Fahuna intended to sell, replace parts and install a used motor that would fail very soon and how this post will be perceived by the people who use this forum. Most of you do not know me and I am willing to take the chance that some of you will not believe my version of what has happened. Its up to you to decide.  The real purpose here is to have my experience available so the next person can use it.  But let's say we get legal with this. I am not in fear of presenting this situation to a in a court of law.  

I do not expect to receive any funds or funds and apology from Jack.  If Jack was interested in doing the right thing he would have contacted me in June when the end play showed that his M42 was in need of a rebuild or at least a bearing set.  That scenario would have led to Jack sitting on his M42 donner car longer and waiting for another enthusiast in need.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinceg14 said:

I took a few weeks after finding out that the fact is Jack Fahuna intended to sell, replace parts and install a used motor that would fail very soon

You seem pretty sure of this statement and you should be.

16 hours ago, larry_in_socal said:

just analyzing the penmanship on the bill of sale vs. the writing on the flywheel.  JS

All Caps on non-cursive letters on the bill of sale.  Lowercase "a" on "BaD", yet Uppercase "A" on "MAIN" and Lowercase "r" on "THUrST".  The bill of sale author also dots his "i's" on his Uppercase "I's", not present in the flywheel "MAIN".  Not a lot of consistency between the two samples.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Now it pick on a guy's penmanship.

What I saw by reading the Bill of Sale is that the buyer wasn't given any guarantee on a used engine.

There are lots of posts on here that the poster never reads what is written as evidenced by the dumb words from a phone.

Edited by jimk