• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

passenger wing window not closing all the way

sczapiga

Hi all, 

I've had no luck finding any topics on this issue. Since I bought my 2002 a couple years ago, I've always had an issue with lots of wind noise coming from the passenger wing window. After looking at it, it seems to need to rotate a few more degrees to close completely. I haven't pulled it out and fully inspected it yet but I'm wondering if there is a way to move the window one spline advanced to open a few degrees less but close a few degrees tighter? Picture a steering wheel hub moving one spline over to line up correctly. Does the mechanism even allow advancing the spline with its design? Or am I possibly dealing with a failure of some sort that I haven't noticed yet? The seals are well used, not new but not dry rotted. In the shape they're in, they should seal well. Any ideas?

Thanks! 

wing window 2.jpg

wing window 1.jpg

haha Einspritz, that is a possibility. Yeah I don't expect it to be great but the feeling is that it runs out of rotation before its tight. The drivers side pulls up really tight no problem. I wonder if someone dissassembled it and didn't clock it correctly when putting it back together? 

• Like 1

Was the car broken into at some point?

I'm fishing here, but it might be that the protrusion on the bottom of the frame, that goes into the gearbox has come just a wee bit loose, so even though the gears travel correctly, the frame does not. Or that shaft is twisted.

Didja look in the blue book under replacing the wing seal?

Or the gearbox is worn, but I think that's a stretch.

I recall when someone tried to break into my car with a screwdriver, "he" broke the window, the frame and the gearbox.

Good to say that nothing was stolen as the 4 100 db alarm horns kicked in. 

He should have Tinnitus by now.

• Like 3

I agree, it looks like someone jimmied that window, have you tried with the window open GENTALY trying to bend bend the top back the top back inline with the bottom?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Good thinking, I really don’t know since I’ve only had the car for 2 years. I’ll look closer and try to find some evidence of forcible entry. Maybe they twisted the yoke that goes into the mechanism like Einspritz said. I’ll report back tomorrow 👍🏼

3 hours ago, sczapiga said:

Does the mechanism even allow advancing the spline with its design?

No, the black knob drives a "worm drive" style gearbox, connected to the quaterlight stem, there's no end-stops and there's only one position for the quarterlight stem to connect to the gearbox...so this "hard stop" you feel can only be the glass & frame hitting the rubber seal or the door frame ...suggest a bit of lube on the rubber seal to see if you can overcome the resistance...?

• Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I have the same thing and my knob also doesnt open it very far, so in my search I came across this thread how-to for refurbishing the mechanism. Maybe this will help?

• Thanks 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

10 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Was the car broken into at some point?

I'm fishing here, but it might be that the protrusion on the bottom of the frame, that goes into the gearbox has come just a wee bit loose, so even though the gears travel correctly, the frame does not. Or that shaft is twisted.

Didja look in the blue book under replacing the wing seal?

Or the gearbox is worn, but I think that's a stretch.

I recall when someone tried to break into my car with a screwdriver, "he" broke the window, the frame and the gearbox.

Good to say that nothing was stolen as the 4 100 db alarm horns kicked in. 

He should have Tinnitus by now.

I’ve seen several vent window assemblies that the bottom pivot “yoke” has rusted and broken away from the frame.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"