• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Koito H4 headlight feedback

Gordon

Looking for feedback from 02 owners that are running Koito H4 headlights.  Just wondering since this a great deal https://www.busdepot.com/h6024 compared to Daniel Stern's website.  I removed my E-code Cibie H4 headlights (they are becoming unobtainium) in case they get a rock chip and replaced them with E-code Hella H4 lights. I'm not that impressed with Hella H4 low beam pattern compared to the Cibie's and was thinking of replacing the Hella's with Koito's.

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

• Gordon changed the title to Koito H4 headlight feedback

Hella on left, Koito on right. The Hella bulbs may have been higher wattage.

Price looks good there. Check ebay also.

IMG_20200503_204330195.thumb.jpg.0ef7ab45f181ea054646a7987223a70f.jpg

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 minutes ago, TobyB said:

they both look pretty bright white up here, Ray

t

ray.png

Heh. Just close your eyes. 

I'll fix it tonight. Thanks 

Ray

Has anyone tried these yet?

WWW.HOLLEY.COM

We all love the look of classic sealed beam headlights, but the dim halogen light output makes nighttime driving a potentially risky endeavor for you and your beloved classic. Holley's new RetroBright LED Headlights offer a number of advantages over traditional sealed beam...

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

38 minutes ago, danco_ said:

WWW.HOLLEY.COM

We all love the look of classic sealed beam headlights, but the dim halogen light output makes nighttime driving a potentially risky endeavor for you and your beloved classic. Holley's new RetroBright LED Headlights offer a number of advantages over traditional sealed beam...

@Howardpowered posted this a couple days ago. Was going to ask about a review.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

I know I will get blasted, but LED headlight bulbs work great. I get the retro style of the cibie's but from a practical perspective, a killer set of LED bulbs is awesome. 

Citation needed.

:D

• Like 1

Ray

26 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Citation needed.

I picked up a set of H4's from Amazon.  Nothing too fancy.   The description is below. $89, almost too bright. 

AUSI 8G H4 LED headlight bulb 72W 12000LM 6500K HI/LO High Low Dual Beam 9003 HB2 Headlight Conversion Kit PLUG N PLAY With Fan Audi Ford Honda Isuzu

I just replaced the bulbs in my A4 B6 with a set of these which work great. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09VM9QFK1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 minute ago, Dudeland said:

I picked up a set of H4's from Amazon.  Nothing too fancy.   The description is below. $89, almost too bright. 

AUSI 8G H4 LED headlight bulb 72W 12000LM 6500K HI/LO High Low Dual Beam 9003 HB2 Headlight Conversion Kit PLUG N PLAY With Fan Audi Ford Honda Isuzu

I just replaced the bulbs in my A4 B6 with a set of these which work great. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09VM9QFK1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

How do you know?

• Haha 1

Ray

21 hours ago, danco_ said:

WWW.HOLLEY.COM

I bought a set of the Holley's based on the recommendation of a friend who saw them at PRI a year ago. He said they were super bright with a good light pattern.   He's coming from the Porsche 914 world, so he's got similar hardware to the 2002.  I haven't tested them yet but they appear to fit the headlight bucket fine.  The advantage in being LED is that they don't overpower the stock 2002 electrical system.  I also like them because I'm converting my electrical system to pdm and they can be driven directly from the pdm.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

22 hours ago, danco_ said:

WWW.HOLLEY.COM

I've got these in my car currently. Low beams are fantastic, bright and throw light way down the road. The high beams are bright as well but the pattern is odd and leaves dark spots. Maybe I need to try to get them to overlap a bit more, but for $400 I would have gone another route, like trying to cram small HID projectors into an H4 housing.

'71 Touring

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I'm converting my electrical system to pdm and they can be driven directly from the pdm.

Push button switch panel too?  Nice

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

42 minutes ago, jimk said:

Push button switch panel too?  Nice

Actually, I'm trying to keep the interior looking stock so no push button panel for me.  Instead, I'm routing switches like lights and wipers from the original switches to the pdm, and the pdm will send signals to the devices.  Or at least that's the plan.

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT