• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1.8 L head good for boost?

Dudeland
Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

Just surfing the local FBMP, and someone has a 1.8L head for sale for 300 Canadian Maple biscuits with butter and a Timmy's double double eh! .  I am thinking of perhaps swapping out the head/hoarding parts for the build.  I have read the forum and understand that I will likely need new pistons, which is kinda what I thought I would need to do anyway. 

Do they really flow better?

image.thumb.png.e039e4539155d799e953d79377a5f7f5.png

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Dudeland

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

That is an e21 specific head with the direct port injection. If you use this head, you will need to have those four injector holes closed, adding cost to your rebuild. 

Find an e30 318 m10 head....better starting point with newer casting and less overall work. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On a boosted engine flow only counts when you at the maximum flow your booster (turbo or supercharger) is at the max so if you have to limit your boost which is likely the flow rate is not a concern. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

10 hours ago, danco_ said:

That is an e21 specific head with the direct port injection. If you use this head, you will need to have those four injector holes closed, adding cost to your rebuild. 

Find an e30 318 m10 head....better starting point with newer casting and less overall work. 

I know that there are plugs for the ports.... or a little sniff of direct port nitrous :)

Is the block worth looking at? I have a crank that would fit.   All I need is a good head and block core, everything else I would replace for the turbo build.  

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

At 63cc, the 1.8 combustion chamber is the largest of the common heads.

Probably give you less than 8:1 compression with flathead pistons. Not bad for moderate boost.

1.8L block is dimensionally the same as a 2L

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• Solution

Me, having had a bad experience with extra holes drilled into the head, I'd also

find the E30 version- it's the same casting, so it has the same bosses, just no drilling.

That said, I've never heard of the late E21 head having any more propensity to crack...

300 for a late E21 engine seems a bit much, but not exorbitant, especially if it gets

you a few other things that might be useful.  Plugging the holes can be as simple

as freeze plugs- but they may whistle!

The late E21 block is heavier than the E30 block-  they remade the casting for the E30.

I do recall it's lighter than a 2002 version, but I don't remember where it falls on the 

'overbore ability versus strength' scale.  It does have all the 2002 bosses cast into it,

but they may not all be tapped- I remember one being tapped at 6mm for a little

bracket whereas the 2002 wanted 10mm for a mount.

Rods work, crank is good for cutting up into paperweights, some of the ancillaries

(like the pulleys) are different, and therefore useful for other things.  

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Me, having had a bad experience with extra holes drilled into the head

But Toby, the way you comb your hair pretty much covers it up😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

I have pound these, work very well with sealing those injector holes.  just add some Dirko sealant and you're done.  Porting and polishing help also.

Fwiw

Ahh.. that is where I had seen them.   Thanks

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Ya ... I think I am going to pass.  It just doesn't smell right.  The whole thing is taken apart and it 2 hours drive away, I am up to neck with s-tons of other stuff.   I am working towards clearing other projects off the plate, including a 15 foot wide, 10 foot high gate...  welding in the snow and cold sucks. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Ya ... I think I am going to pass.  It just doesn't smell right.  The whole thing is taken apart and it 2 hours drive away,

Probably a good call, seems more like a 150 maple biscuit  deal.. max

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 1 month later...

Noob here. Why do people want to install 1.8 heads on their 2002s? I have a line on an M10B18 engine but I think its too expensive for the few parts I need off of it. If I could offset my initial cost by selling the head or keeping it if someone explains why I might want to install it on my '73.