• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust getting into passenger compartment

lewisfoto
Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

Driving out to SoCal Vintage last Saturday I definitely started feeling dizzy about an hour into the trip and I suspect exhaust is somehow getting into the passenger area. It definitely became worse when stuck in traffic. So my question is where should I look first to correct this obvious safety issue?

Do you have all the appropiate engine bay seals, and trunk seal, fitted and in good condition?

Are the BMW foam pieces still in position over the rear shock towers to prevent trunk fumes getting into the driver/passenger compartment?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Do you have all the appropiate engine bay seals, and trunk seal, fitted and in good condition?

Are the BMW foam pieces still in position over the rear shock towers to prevent trunk fumes getting into the driver/passenger compartment?

The trunk seal needs to be re-glued. That did occur to me. Thanks

• Solution

I typed too slowly and you two posted first, but I'll post this anyway.... :)  (it is a nice feature we have (again) that shows when someone has posted while you're typing).

Exhaust can get drawn in through the trunk and pulled into the cabin.  You can check the trunk seal by inserting a dollar bill  between the seal and lid and try pulling it out with the lid shut.  The flange that the seal attaches to is very easily bent down and that will leave a gap.  You might also see evidence of soot on the underside of the lid, if it's been going on for a while.  The most commonly bent down areas are along the back edge, where you might place a hand while leaning in to grab things.  It is easy to simply pull the metal back up, so it fits tightly again.

I put an early exhaust on my late bumpered car and the tailpipe doesn't stick out enough, so I was getting fumes drawn back into the car as a result.  I added a temporary extension and the problem went away.  One of these days, I'll weld an extension to the pipe and then put the stainless tip at the end.  I won't make it quite as long as this though; because I keep barking my shins on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.7f08e365d3b62d79bbe8fbdcf9aa808e.jpeg

I just slit a piece of pipe and then pinched one end down, so it slips into the tailpipe.  You could try something similar to test whether that's your problem.

If you have an exhaust leak under the hood, it can get drawn in through the heater, if you're missing the seal on the underside of the hood, or the ones that overlap the hood closure bar, or the elephant-trunk drain tubes.

Those are the places I would start.

The foam that Les just mentioned is important too and I also covered the factory holes in the parcel shelf above the trunk, because the vinyl covered board that sits on them doesn't provide a seal.  The ones at the top of this photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9e5ef46d7d985592518c9acfc229094.jpeg

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I typed too slowly and you two posted first, but I'll post this anyway.... :)  (it is a nice feature we have (again) that shows when someone has posted while you're typing).

Exhaust can get drawn in through the trunk and pulled into the cabin.  You can check the trunk seal by inserting a dollar bill  between the seal and lid and try pulling it out with the lid shut.  The flange that the seal attaches to is very easily bent down and that will leave a gap.  You might also see evidence of soot on the underside of the lid, if it's been going on for a while.  The most commonly bent down areas are along the back edge, where you might place a hand while leaning in to grab things.  It is easy to simply pull the metal back up, so it fits tightly again.

I put an early exhaust on my late bumpered car and the tailpipe doesn't stick out enough, so I was getting fumes drawn back into the car as a result.  I added a temporary extension and the problem went away.  One of these days, I'll weld an extension to the pipe and then put the stainless tip at the end.  I won't make it quite as long as this though; because I keep barking my shins on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.7f08e365d3b62d79bbe8fbdcf9aa808e.jpeg

I just slit a piece of pipe and then pinched one end down, so it slips into the tailpipe.  You could try something similar to test whether that's your problem.

If you have an exhaust leak under the hood, it can get drawn in through the heater, if you're missing the seal on the underside of the hood, or the ones that overlap the hood closure bar, or the elephant-trunk drain tubes.

Those are the places I would start.

The foam that Les just mentioned is important too and I also covered the factory holes in the parcel shelf above the trunk, because the vinyl covered board that sits on them doesn't provide a seal.  The ones at the top of this photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9e5ef46d7d985592518c9acfc229094.jpeg

Tom

Those are all very good suggestions. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

And if the above doesn’t solve your problem, there are lots of threads on this topic, as exhaust and gasoline fumes in the passenger compartment have long been hallmarks of ‘02 ownership. 🙄 Try searching the forum on “exhaust fumes” or something similar.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 minutes ago, Conserv said:

And if the above doesn’t solve your problem, there are lots of threads on this topic, as exhaust and gasoline fumes in the passenger compartment have long been hallmarks of ‘02 ownership. 🙄 Try searching the forum on “exhaust fumes” or something similar.

Regards,

Steve

Duly noted

One other thing...if you or a PO installed speakers in the rear package shelf, any fumes (gas or exhaust) getting into the trunk will quickly waft into the passenger compartment via those speaker holes...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

If you have an exhaust leak under the hood

The 800 lb gorilla in the room....

OP,you have checked you exhaust manifold, upper and lower downpipes connections for leaks and tightness right? 

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris