• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door cards alternative fixings

PhilC

Don't spend money on new cards, make your own! 

That's what I did. Just find yourself some good plastic sheet material to start with, some step drill-bits and/or hammer-punches and go to town!

I used my old worn-out floppy boards as a pattern, stripped, reglued, and stapled my original vinyl on. they came out better than new, and will never warp again due to moisture. 

48277A02-08D1-41CB-A395-E761236060F1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7d5046e9efaabd2dc3f197ba8a14f23f.jpegEFF86380-C2BE-4B4C-80C3-E802A7A469F7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.14ee90da641ff19863fd43d5f33fe314.jpeg

• Like 5

If you don't want to remake the door cards, the solution is to patch those holes with some thin, hard plastic. Go buy some plastic placemats from the dollar store. Cut strips of the plastic and glue it to the door card, one strip on the inside facing surface and one on the door facing surface, covering the hole. Drill holes for the stock clips and you're good to go.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

What am I looking at there? a counter sunk finish washer? 

Some folks would look upon screwed on door cards as tacky however, done tastefully with nice finish hardware it can solve your problem. Certainly better than door cards flapping around.😉 And it is after all, your car your choice

IMG_20221105_173909.thumb.jpg.32543cf45afe744c5c0270fdb5d79d2c.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

12 minutes ago, joysterm said:

We call them screw cups over here. Yes, I’ve considered these, plastic, metal, black, chrome…… I like them but I think the exposed screw will be a bit out of keeping with the look I’m hoping for.

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

If you don’t want to do the external fastener thing, @esty recommended sticky back Velcro. X2 on this solution. I’ve done this numerous times and it’s a great solution. The Velcro option is inexpensive, and it can be had at the home improvement store of your choice. 

I did this to a guys TR6 I used to maintain in my home town. For years  he never knew that’s how I mounted the panels. 

• Like 2

So sad to see you are having problems. 

I don't think you will not like the external fasteners in the long run.   My door cards are like putty they are so beaten up.  I can't seem to find oem-looking ones because the chrome strip is NLA. 

Perhaps something like a french cleat. It is a bit that interlocks with itself.  It is used to mount picture frames close to the wall. Very low profile. But I feel that velcro would be your friend here. 

If the truth be told I haven't ever seen a door card that I like.  The stock 75 ones are dull at best.  Aftermarket ones seem out of place for an otherwise minimal interior.   Perhaps now that I have recovered my seats I can get door panels to match the color. 

French Cleat.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hangman-24-inch-250-lb-max-hangman-professional-french-cleat--1pk/1001026794?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D00 - E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_All Products_All Products__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-300587868876&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKRoA3Lg1asI4KF--lCb2fOegWHkh5W7PUEPRwjMFxjB3niLuVTkvX8aAngGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

image.png.5f5e52db975c50a5c8110e5c808ba50a.png

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

The plastic fasteners (even OEM) are junk in my opinion.  A bad joke.  A cruel hoax.  If they don’t line up perfectly, they break.  They can’t be re-used.  They cut your fingers.  They like to pull out from damp/old/wet door cards.  I tried hard to use and like them.  I ended up discarding them when I installed my Aardvark replacement cards.  I used high quality velcro.  For the strip attached to the card, I fastened the velcro with adhesive and upholstery staples.   For the strip attached to the door, I used glue only.  You could also use some screws for even stronger fastening but I didn’t want to drill and also see no need.  I suggest NOT using Velcro all the way around the card.  This stuff holds very tight and well.  If you are careful you won’t get any protrusion of the card (i.e. unwanted extra thickness).  You can pull it on and off to your heart’s delight.  But if you use a lot of it the hold will be tenacious.  Good luck.  YMMV.

• Like 2

Mars Attacks!

marsattacks.jpg

Well, thank you everyone for your input, who knew such a dull subject would attract so much attention, I guess we have all been there 😂

I have plumped for Velcro. I went and bought a roll of 50mm wide Velcro self adhesive. I cut it in half length ways so have twice as much. It is very very sticky (or seems to be) and has gone on well. Door card is now on which is great as I was fed up with it on the floor in the dining room 🙄

I was concerned about the thickness and there being an unsightly gap but it’s not too bad. In fact you can only see the door opening side can’t you. I may find a thin piece of material to slot into the gap just for my own satisfaction. 
I am currently swapping the diff over but when I can get the car out of the garage I will take some pics. I am very pleased though and hope there won’t be any peeling of the Velcro….…

Three more to go 😂

Edited by PhilC
  • Like 3

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713