• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Noise Under Load

Ericks2002
Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

A couple weeks ago my 1975 2002 4 speed developed a weird noise. When I’m under load around 2-3k rpm there’s a rattling that starts coming from the front of the car. The noise continues to redline I’m fairly sure but it’s hard to tell because the exhaust is loud. It happens in all gears. I don’t have to be at full throttle either, even maintaining speed in 4the gear the noise can still be heard. When at low load it’s very inconsistent but sounds like a box of rocks rattling around. 

Sitting with the car in neutral not moving and revving it up the noise is gone. I’m pretty sure something is wrong with the transmission. If anyone could maybe pinpoint what part of the transmission it is that would be great. Guessing some kinda bearing because it happens mainly under load. 

The car also makes a scraping noise once it’s warmed up and at idle. It sounds related to the other noise. It doesn’t go away if I put the clutch in either. 

I appreciate the help

Also check the shift tower bolts. If these come loose, things can droop and start hitting the driveshaft parts.

Do you still have the guibo heat shield in place? Check for tightness and cracks. Ditto for the heat shield above the steering arm bushing on the passenger side..

On the '75s, there is a bracket on the exhaust that is bolted to the intake manifold/downpipe connection.

The duct to the fresh air thermostat box connects to this. Check this bracket for cracks, especially the smaller bolt-hole ear.

• Like 1

I checked the timing and it was good. I had a friend come over to check it out and he said it sounds like an exhaust leak but at the same time it doesn’t. Checked the exhaust gasket at the headers and below the car and no leaks. We also checked the driveshaft and it’s good.

I was able to get the noise to be constant while driving in 2nd gear at 3500 rpm. I might try and record it this weekend because I can replicate it now.